Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

3 minutes ago, peterms said:

... being criticised on social media by the head of the company are all pretty negative experiences which will do little for someone's performance in a setting where performance is strongly linked to confidence.

As for management staff, jumping on to social media to criticise junior staff would be pretty much unthinkable in any workplace I can think of.  It's not acceptable here, and I had thought it would be even less acceptable in China, with their greater emphasis on saving face, and respect between colleagues.  But perhaps someone with a better understanding than me of Chinese working culture could comment.

That's all true, but none of that has happened, has it?

1 minute ago, blandy said:

That's all true, but none of that has happened, has it?

You don't think liking a tweet that says we need a more experienced goalkeeper is criticism of the goalkeeper whose performances are the subject of this and other comments?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, peterms said:

You don't think liking a tweet that says we need a more experienced goalkeeper is criticism of the goalkeeper whose performances are the subject of this and other comments?

That's correct, I don't.

[edit] and I don't even share the view that "inexperience" is the issue

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

That's correct, I don't.

Like... really? 

Is this in the same way that Xia saying : 'I called a stop after I watched three games!' is somehow interpreted as presenting the collective decision made by the footballing people in the club and him?

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'll have to agree with peterms here.  'Liking' a tweet comes across very much as agreeing with its message.

Yes, it does. In that much I have no argument.

If he was agreeing, or tweeting that a player was no good, or not good enough, or lazy or whatever, then that would be (either justified or unjustified) criticism.

I feel that "liking" a supporters tweet linking game highlights from the OS together with a mild comment about needing a more experienced keeper comes across  (to me) as similar to agreeing the squad or forwards or midfield needs strengthening - you could take that as somehow very mildly critiqueing the squad strength, or the players in it, but it's so run of the mill innocuous that I don't see it as the sort of thing to undermine, or destroy a players confidence or whatever.

When you want strength in the forward line or midfield you are not criticising an individual though.  You are asking for the existing starters to receive help and a boost to numbers.  When you criticise the goalkeeping position, you are very much criticising the individual.  It is unique in that sense.  All IMHO.

11 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Like... really? 

Is this in the same way that Xia saying : 'I called a stop after I watched three games!' is somehow interpreted as presenting the collective decision made by the footballing people in the club and him?

It's a shame he didn't use his expert scouting skills to put a stop to the transfer of the keeper he's just indirectly criticised. 

19 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Like... really? 

We don't know, do we? There's clearly an interpretation that goes along the lines of -

"RDM wanted to sign the player, and Dr X vetoed it after watching the player play and deciding that he Dr X knows better than the scouts and manager and so undermined the club and the staff involved"

That's certainly one of a number of possible versions. Another is that "a combination of the issues of transfer fee, player wages, West Ham's attitude and demands, the assessment of the Villa staff and manager as to the players worth and alternative options led to a collective decision to call off their attempts and move on". But that putting all that in a tweet is harder than "I called it off"

I think with twitter, and particularly with someone with English as a second language, reading too much (either way) into some of the tweets is unwise. There are many of his tweets that are unclear in meaning and some which have been clear, but then he's said "no not  that, what I meant was..."

or "Basically it's twitter - it's not serious insight, it's abbreviated, instant snippets"

9 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

It's a shame he didn't use his expert scouting skills to put a stop to the transfer of the keeper he's just indirectly criticised. 

This sort of criticism is plain nitpicking

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

When you criticise the goalkeeping position, you are very much criticising the individual.  It is unique in that sense.  All IMHO.

Is he "criticising all of Gollini and Bunn and Steer, or just Gollini? or just the other two  - I mean they are "experienced" wouldn't they be all upset, like.... or would they feel pleased that Tony is liking someone wanting amore experienced 'keeper to play?

I think if anyone wants to, they could look at all his twitters and think "Hmmm. Don't like all this - he's picking the team, deciding who we sign (or don't sign), he's interfering and blocking people who criticise and he's Chinese and quoting Mao...he's a bad bad man"

or they could think "this is great - open, enthusiastic, honest, respectful, true to his word, speaks like a fan...".

Anyone can make of it whatever they will, and our preconceived views of the rich / the Chinese / Twitter / the media / previous owners / the price of fish no doubt affects how we view it all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think if anyone wants to, they could look at all his twitters and think "Hmmm. Don't like all this - he's picking the team, deciding who we sign (or don't sign), he's interfering and blocking people who criticise and he's Chinese and quoting Mao...he's a bad bad man"

or they could think "this is great - open, enthusiastic, honest, respectful, true to his word, speaks like a fan...".

Agreed, and on the whole I'd take the latter approach.  But that doesn't mean one size fits all either.  He'll make the odd slip, and that's fine. This was arguably one of those times.  Which is no major issue, I'm not making a big deal of it.  Just calling it as I see it.

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

You say tomatoes..

No I don't  - It's forbidden

Chinese censors target tomatoes amid Bo Xilai scandal

Chongqing hotpot = King of the Southwest = King Who Pacifies the West = Minister of Yu = Tomato

10 hours ago, peterms said:

I should think being told to improve without being told how, being shouted at, being dropped, and being criticised on social media by the head of the company are all pretty negative experiences which will do little for someone's performance in a setting where performance is strongly linked to confidence.

Being told in a training context that your performance needs improving, and having people work with you on tackling identified problems, will be far more productive.  Isn't that why successful coaches do the latter and not the former?  And try to keep criticism to the training ground or dressing room?

As for management staff, jumping on to social media to criticise junior staff would be pretty much unthinkable in any workplace I can think of.  It's not acceptable here, and I had thought it would be even less acceptable in China, with their greater emphasis on saving face, and respect between colleagues.  But perhaps someone with a better understanding than me of Chinese working culture could comment.

I understand your points and at some clubs where the basics have long been left behind and are now in to complex technical tweeks, I would be more inclined to agree.

however, what we are talking about is surrounding the fundamentals of the game.

We can't close down in times of need....That for me is the basics of the game....but require Hard work and organisation. there is no excuse for not making a nuisance of yourself and getting in their faces and making them work for their win as opposed to gift wrapping it.....This has been with us for too long and is a Major problem that is holding back any progress we are looking for.

it is clear at times we play some eye catching stuff.....but sadly without substance, we have ability, but little application, no steel.

I read the B/mail where the blues headline is....".Defence is the best form of attack" some will say we know that....Do we, do we really, because we don't play like it.....equally attack is the best form of defence and we could not sustain it. We don't grow in to a game, we shrink out of it.

I understand your point about keeping your own council.....but with respect, we have had years of that and had a young striker in Gabby wallow in it.....It seemingly hasn't worked.

I am all for this ,say it like it is mood ,that is emerging, it will never improve while a lid is put on the tin.

Tony Xia is human, before being a billionaire or intellect,he has responsibilities sure ,he has emotions too, like us all and with that come flaws, we all have them, lets not "spoil the ship for a ha' peth of tar"

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â