Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

12 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Don't go **** quoting Mao.

"It takes less courage to criticize the decisions of others than to stand by your own."

- Attila the Hun. He killed half of civilisation don't you know, get off your high horse.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

"It takes less courage to criticize the decisions of others than to stand by your own."

- Attila the Hun. He killed half of civilisation don't you know, get off your high horse.

No need to minimize the source of your quote.

Edit: What kind of person would feel comfortable quoting Attila the Hun in that way?

Edited by snowychap

Just now, snowychap said:

No need to minimize the source of your quote.

Not having a dig at you my man, just people seeing the Mao quote, but not reading it, grinds my gears. I'm sure Tony doesn't want world domination...... Oh, wait a minute.

Just now, Hoof hearted said:

Not having a dig at you my man, just people seeing the Mao quote, but not reading it, grinds my gears. I'm sure Tony doesn't want world domination...... Oh, wait a minute.

Not reading it?

It's a quote from one of the last century's greatest tyrants and mass murderers being tweeted by the owner of the Villa.

3 hours ago, Trickster said:

Hmmm......I get a hint of 'we're not after Valencia now' from this.

This is potentially really interesting.

Scenario 1: it's empty rhetoric designed to appease fans

Scenario 2: he's genuinely putting real faith in the power of social media (including obviously forums such as this, hopefully less so Twitter et al). On the surface it probably seems ridiculous to have your transfer policy heavily dictated by public opinion but as we well know Dr T is adept (or, if not adept, frequent) in the use of social media and you'd therefore think that generally speaking, he values it highly and believes in its potential.

It makes me wonder if, for example, we were keen on Ravel Morrison but the concerned opinions here and I assume amongst the wider community put paid to it, if this unlikely course of events did transpire, how does RDM feel about it? He'd have to be highly open minded to consider allowing the opinions of fans to influence his transfer dealings and ultimately, his available resources.

Moving back to the original point it's highly likely to be more a case of scenario 1 but scenario 2 would represent a bold/pioneering policy in my view, I've no doubt that at other clubs social media opinion has perhaps played a part in some transfers but to incorporate it into a formal strategy would be something wholly different.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 1

To be fair there is something in it.  Individually as fans were are a bunch of idiots who argue/discuss/offend each other with extreme views but from 20,000 feet a person could get a general overall view of each footballer.  Obviously there are players that split people straight down the middle ie Savo, but fans on forums do sway in the majority in favour or not in favour of players.

Pundits scream that if you haven't played the game you don't understand it but I bet most of us have watched more games than most of them because of our obsession with the game. We know what our team needs, what flaws we need to plug or could allow a luxury player to get away with.  We as fans will most likely not agree on who that player should be but when a name is touted our opinion on mass is valid but to be ignored on an individual basis.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

Slightly different take but did he post that Mao quote after the West Ham game? If so did Valencia play last night? Perhaps it was him (albeit poorly) trying to get across the idea that seeing something (i.e. A new player) live and sat around fans of their current club who will have unfiltered opinions and not be influenced by coaches/agents is better than just reading a scout report. 

Obviously if he didn't play ignore the above. 

6 hours ago, snowychap said:

I think Mao makes Hitler look like an amateur.

I'm sure the 30 to 40 million that died in the Chinese famine weren't completely his fault. 

But in all seriousness Tony has probably been bought up being told how great a leader Mao was, so why wouldn't he quote him. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Deisler123 said:

Tony didn't need to explain this though. Not necessary.

People even with only a single brain cell will understand that the point he was trying to make from his last twitter post had nothing to do with politics.

Nah we have some right thick villa fans . You hear them littered around the ground on match days. Got one or two right behind me. 

7 minutes ago, nazvfc said:

Nah we have some right thick villa fans . You hear them littered around the ground on match days. Got one or two right behind me. 

I've got one right in front of me :detect::D

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Â