England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

Said earlier paralysed by fear. Apart from Rooney i bet most of the England players can't even remember a positive summer tournament of their childhood when England did well in. I don't think they enjoy playing for their country. Which is just as well as I don't enjoy England games for about 90% of the time either.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Said earlier paralysed by fear. Apart from Rooney i bet most of the England players can't even remember a positive summer tournament of their childhood when England did well in. I don't think they enjoy playing for their country. Which is just as well as I don't enjoy England games for about 90% of the time either.

I don't think I've watched a full 90 minutes since Italia '90, maybe the '96 semi final?! Just can't be arsed with the aggro and upset it causes. Club > Country all day, every day for me and quite frankly, I'm surprised a lot of people are surprised at the result!  At least the rest of England get to feel our seasons pain for a few hours!

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

My rashford stat might suggest that we had an unwillingness to try and take players on but in general I disagree with this, I personally still think it was a mixture of bad tactics and pretty much non existent movement that's lost us the game, we were so static, that's laziness IMO, it's the likes of sturridge and Rooney demanding the ball despite them having nothing in front of themselves, drifting in to shit positions where the opposition are happy to let them have the ball rather than being clever enough to find space in dangerous positions

rooneys done it for years, so did Gerrard and lampard before him

you watch the likes of Modric, rakitic, iniesta, Kroos etc, they could find space in a telephone box

our effort off the ball is horrendous making the bloke on the ball look clueless when the reality he doesn't really have any options on other than a Hollywood pass

Perfectly put^^.

I don't really know what we do from here.

The manager obviously has to take some blame. In charge for 11 competition games and only winning 3 against an average Sweden side, ageing Ukraine and Wales. Despite being in the job for 4 years, I do not think to his last day he knew what his best XI was. That's not really acceptable as manager for me. I do think he's been let down a bit by his players, but the performances gradually got worse as I think opposition coaches knew what we were going to do. I think he was found out very quickly.

On the playing side of thing, I have no idea. People saying Kane shouldn't play, yet he was top scorer in the Premier League. What do yo do? Pick players not on merit? Pick someone who's playing shit all year just because he fits the England managers system? I don't think that works either. There is a massive job for the higher ups now, but we've been saying it for years and years about a complete overhaul. Maybe if we aren't in the EU we can put in some sort of rule. The FA need to put England first and the extra £££ of the Premier League secondary to that. If we lose a few extra players to La Liga or wherever, so be it, but something in this country needs to change.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

The FA need to put England first and the extra £££ of the Premier League secondary to that. If we lose a few extra players to La Liga or wherever, so be it, but something in this country needs to change.

To me, maybe im in minority...but i watch football for entertainment. Much prefer all the money and getting stronger league with all foreign players for 38 weeks worth of entertainment every year instead restricting that for pride every two years in the summer.

Edited by gharperr

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

That's same old same old zatman

pretty much every tournament in the last 20 years, the players have underperfromed and it's been swept under the carpet because the finger has been pointed at the manager

well all sit there tomorrow and say why the **** were wilshere, sterling and Barkley etc in the squad after an awful season, come mid July someone in the media will link Barkley with a £50m move somewhere, come the World Cup they'll all be blowing smoke up their asses again

Both are to blame. Players underperformed severely but that doesn't mean Hodgson wasn't totally out of his depth as well.

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

Lallana did IMO. Walker probably next best.

Lallana was all mouth and no trousers in my opinion.  He was a microcosm of England actually, neat and tidy in possession but no end product.  He wasn't awful like some of the other players in the squad (Kane, Sterling, Hart) but I don't think we come away from the tournament thinking he's a better player than he was a month ago nor that he should be a fixture in the England team.   I do think Walker played well.  There were no expectations whatsoever on Rashford so he'll probably come away with a bit of credit in the bank. Beyond that I'm really struggling to think of anyone who wasn't either completely mediocre or awful.   Talk about a false dawn. 

Edited by The_Rev
grammar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

Lallana was all mouth and no trousers in my opinion.  He was a microcosm of England actually, neat and tidy in possession but no end product.  He wasn't awful like some of the other players in the squad (Kane, Sterling, Hart) but I don't think we come away from the tournament thinking he's a better player than he was a month ago nor that he should be a fixture in the England team.   I do think Walker played well.  There were no expectations whatsoever on Rashford so he'll probably come away with a bit of credit in the bank. Beyond that I'm really struggling to think of anyone who wasn't either completely mediocre or awful.   Talk about a false dawn. 

I thought Dyer was good in his role. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Worst player of the tournament?  Got to be Kane or Hart for me.  

I don't disagree really, I hope someone makes Hart watch De Gea and Buffon's performances in the game yesterday. That's what you call good goalkeeping. 

As for Kane, why on earth was he still taking free kicks. Absolutely shocking.