AVFC accounts 2014/2015

Jareth

25 minutes ago, jon_c said:

What I can't get my head round is the increase in wages, year on year. We've been paying our players less and less as the years pass. The wages we offer are no where near competitive compared to other teams in the league. 

So how do we, in comparison, struggle so badly with percentage of wage bill?

paying wages for a lot of players with 'potential' on 15-25k, instead of a few proven players on big 50-60k contracts supplemented by 5-10k youth players, I'd guess. Also with tv money the market rate is getting bigger and bigger.

1 hour ago, slowandlow said:

Yeah you might be right.

I was just wondering why so many people appear to be absolving Tom Fox of any blame with the accounts even though he was around for 8 or 9 months if i have my timelines correct

I'm not absolving Fox of anything, I'll be critical where its due (eg. Lambert's contract extension & the Sherwood debacle), but you really can't expect a new CEO to come in to any company and turn around the accounts in 6 months, it just doesn't work like that at large companies. Blame for this one lies solely with Faulkner & Russell

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So how are Newcastle, Sunderland, Palace, Stoke etc. not **** as well?

We've done nothing but cost cut for years now.

Yes this is what i cant get my head around.  Unless they are going to be and we just were abit ahead of them.

54 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's all explained in my post, isn't it?

These accounts don't take into account our summer activity and any new deals that may be in place.  I'm concerned, but not massively.

We spent more money in the summer, not enough but some and theoretically increased the wage bill. We all thought that was because we had leveled off the accounts?

I'm not absolving Fox of anything, I'll be critical where its due (eg. Lambert's contract extension & the Sherwood debacle), but you really can't expect a new CEO to come in to any company and turn around the accounts in 6 months, it just doesn't work like that at large companies. Blame for this one lies solely with Faulkner & Russell

This.

If our accounts were amazing nobody would be giving Fox credit for that because you have little effect in 6 months, especially when our money goes on wages which would all be due to players bought or sold prior to him coming in.

Fox may well be an absolute joke, but it's unfair to blame him for these accounts.

14 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So how are Newcastle, Sunderland, Palace, Stoke etc. not **** as well?

We've done nothing but cost cut for years now.

Newcastle's turnover is bigger than Aston Villa's and their wages are lower, Sunderland posted a loss of just under £18m so are not doing that great either, Palace's wage bill was about £45.8m (2014) so much less than ours and only 50% of their turnover, and Stoke's wage bill is £66.5m so about £23m less than ours.  Our turnover is similar to Palace and Stoke so we really are pissing wages up the wall.

We are not a big club and only generate revenue similar to Palace/Stoke so we need to change things drastically

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This.

If our accounts were amazing nobody would be giving Fox credit for that because you have little effect in 6 months, especially when our money goes on wages which would all be due to players bought or sold prior to him coming in.

Fox may well be an absolute joke, but it's unfair to blame him for these accounts.

I don't think that's entirely accurate.  I wouldn't expect him to have had much influence on the commercial side income-wise, coming in as he did halfway through the season, but he was in charge when Lambert was given a new contract after 4 games, and who then sacked him a few months later.  He was also in charge when several serial under-performers were given new contracts as well.  He also appointed Sherwood.  There's also the fact that he appears to have earned £1.2m for 6 months work, which means if he's on double that for the year, he earns 10 times what Faulkner did, and has absolutely ruined us as a club and company.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dn1982 said:

You're only allowed a 25 man squad so if you have an average wage of £40k that's about £52m on 1st team wages. How can we then spend 50% roughly again on the rest? Our waste is unbelievable! I think they set 60% as roughly the wage to turnover ratio so ours would be about 65m. Which wouldn't be too bad. It'll be interesting to see how these numbers get explained away. Hopefully a decent journalist will try to get the right people to answer the questions but knowing the crap ones that look after Villa they'll be asking Garde tomorrow!!!! 

It is very odd after so many years of cost cutting that getting the wages ofthe players under control seems to be beyond anyone at villa park. I wonder how much money the likes of Clark and Baker are on. Villa must be an agents dream.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Risso said:

he was in charge when Lambert was given a new contract after 4 games

Agree with your post, but not sure about the bit quoted. edit - apparently from another thread, they were around the same time. Formally announced in November, but announced to the media on 21st August that he would be the new CEO. If it's the august date then his wages would be for 9+ months. Still a heck of a wage.

57 minutes ago, a m ole said:

paying wages for a lot of players with 'potential' on 15-25k, instead of a few proven players on big 50-60k contracts supplemented by 5-10k youth players, I'd guess. Also with tv money the market rate is getting bigger and bigger.

I got the impression that 50k to 60k was not considered a particularly big wage in the premier league now.

• Like 1

We're not the worst on the pitch :(  We're one of them but there have been worse.  Let's not forget that.  No-one wants that accolade.

• Like 1

I just cannot understand how our wage bill leapt so much when our transfer business was so mediocre.

Was Senderos, Richardson and Cole in so much demand they could hold us to ransom?
Carlos Sanchez was playing for Elche ffs, he can't have been on double figures.

We spent so long clearing the decks, the bomb squad, the loaning out high earners, the Ireland debacle, the lower league 'triers'. We suffered through so much dross and mediocrity...and we swallowed it believing that in the long term it was for the greater good.

Then after all that, to spunk £15m up the wall on this shite. Angry doesn't even cover it.

Edited by rodders0223

I'm pretty sure that was in and around the time we started signing a lot of our existing players to improved long-term contracts who were beginning to get close to having 1 year left.  It's one of the things the board were praised for, because the brinksmanship of leaving discussions into the final year of a contract had burned us before.  The wage bill isn't the problem.  The problem is the other figures aren't high enough to allow for it.  We've a fairly decent Premier League wage bill on fairly embarrassing Premier League revenues.

• Like 1

Â