The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

21 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Honestly I don't have much time for people who changed their mind on this topic following the utterly predictable damage caused to the country. I hope never to meet or speak to one in real life. 

No one knew what they was really voting for other than some buzz words spouted by Brexit backers , they should be held to account especially Boris who has semi deystroyed this country with his lies and misinformation. I don't blame anyone, on fact I admire them if they are the courage to say "I was wrong, I was conned" 

• Like 1

Just now, tinker said:

No one knew what they was really voting for other than some buzz words spouted by Brexit backers , they should be held to account especially Boris who has semi deystroyed this country with his lies and misinformation. I don't blame anyone, on fact I admire them if they are the courage to say "I was wrong, I was conned" 

So they had no idea what they were voting for, or on, but they still voted. Nah, they can do one. No sympathy at all. It was the casual voters that resulted in a Brexit victory. It took a brain and 10 minutes of internet research to see through the bus of lies. Even then, if you don't understand why you are voting, don't vote.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Genie said:

I guess you could be right on that specific case. I still personally think that as the Tories are on track for a complete trouncing in ‘24 any pledge to get closer to the EU will gain them more than they lose.

It's definitely possible. But it's one of those stories with a lot of moving parts. The logic would be it shows they're becoming a more sane, rational party so the south-east, south-west and commuter towns still vote strongly enough to avoid them taking big losses to Labour and the Lib Dems.

But if betraying the "Brexit vision" that a huge bit of the party still believes in causes two dozen of their MPs to resign the whip (given they probably now expect to lose their seats anyway) and turns them into a divided party arguing about Europe again, then they stop being a sane, rational party.

And they probably drop to their lowest poll numbers in history instead of getting all those middle class voters that they thought they might. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I guess you could be right on that specific case. I still personally think that as the Tories are on track for a complete trouncing in ‘24 any pledge to get closer to the EU will gain them more than they lose.

It would tear them to pieces. There’s been an ongoing civil war in their party for the last 30 years over Europe. UKIP have covertly taken over the Tories. Hope to see them at each other’s throats, it would kill them politically. And we’ll deserved it would be. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Quite a statement given who GB News caters for.

I suspect the way it's been phrased has confused a lot of them. They're not great thinkers. They've probably been voting against going back into Europe. Hell to the Yeah! 

• Like 1

The Express and the Daily Mail both have the “threat to Brexit” on their front pages. 

They are deeply concerned about it for no specific reasons apart from it shows it up for what it is. There’s no mention of any downside of doing it, apart from it upsetting MP’s who are strong leavers. This despite the chancellor saying several times over the weekend frictionless trade will be a huge benefit to growing the economy.

Edited by Genie

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

Translated by the non gammon amongst us as Threat of Huge Boost To Economy. 

UK Government realise they have f**ked up and try to reverse the damage done by listening to racists. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

:D Bring it on, throw Toblerones at them

More non specific problems. Why not work towards getting some kind of frictionless trade deal with the EU?

If there is a reason then I’m all ears.

I've no idea why the EU would consider a Swiss arrangement with us. The Swiss process drives the entirety of the EU nuts because they do everything via separate treaties which then have to be Swiss ratified, it makes doing everything difficult for no real benefit beyond it being what Switzerland wants - they still end up agreeing to vast majority of the same things everyone else does in their areas of EU interaction, they just get to say they have they have bespoke treaties to get them.

Besides which nobody who wanted Brexit is going to agree to what the Swiss agree to anyway. Not least of which is the fact it'll mean free movement.

Ain't happening. I can only assume the government is pointing at the Brexit thing mouthing 'this is really shit' and hoping they can convince the EU to negotiate is having a super happy great deal where we get everything we want and none of the stuff the voters don't like, seemingly because Sunak appears to be less of a hard-line populist nutter. Which the EU will just say no to anyway.

3 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Does anyone on here know how Norway and Iceland get along without being members? Similar to the Swiss model?

They do sensible deals to mitigate the negative effects of non-membership. For instance, both of the countries you mention are members of the EFTA and EEA which makes them basically members but without the voting rights. The sticking point was and has always been freedom of movement. Both of those countries have to accept that as terms of their deals, but the Tories decided it was definitely not something we would be considering. Why you might ask? Because, reasons. Definitely nothing to do with xenophobia in the right wing press.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Does anyone on here know how Norway and Iceland get along without being members? Similar to the Swiss model?

Norway basically pays in slightly less to the pot, but otherwise gets most of the benefits of being a full member, with some notable exclusions, but they also don't have a vote in deciding the rules they must abide to.

It's what we should have done if we decided we had to leave the EU. We'd be out, but maintain a lot of the benefits. Unfortunately the sticking point for Brexiteers, too many foreigners, is non-negotiable.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Norway basically pays in slightly less to the pot, but otherwise gets most of the benefits of being a full member, with some notable exclusions, but they also don't have a vote in deciding the rules they must abide to.

It's what we should have done if we decided we had to leave the EU. We'd be out, but maintain a lot of the benefits. Unfortunately the sticking point for Brexiteers, too many foreigners, is non-negotiable.

It's also what a certain Herr Farago said we should go for BEFORE the referendum

• Like 1

Â