The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

35 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I don’t know about the other points but point 10 certainly came true for them (and to be honest I think was the main reason for Brexit). 

image.png.209e7176b8eaaf25f8496af697338d2b.png

I'm pretty sure your graph is saying it didn't come true.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I'm pretty sure your graph is saying it didn't come true.

I guess it hinges on your definition of ‘dramatic’ but that blue line was trending pretty sharply northward until 2016 when it suddenly changed direction. 

6 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I guess it hinges on your definition of ‘dramatic’ but that blue line was trending pretty sharply northward until 2016 when it suddenly changed direction. 

It seems to be reverting to the same line as between 2000-2010, when we were in the EU. Judging by that graph it only seems to have jumped with the Tories coming into power (well, I understand these things are more complicated than they seem, so it's just an empty observation). But a graph like that is always going to bounce up and down, and two years of it not bouncing isn't really evidence of anything—and immigration is still going up anyway, as in it hasn't reduced at all, but increased only to a lesser amount. It's still increasing though.

Edited by Rolta

31 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Until we properly left the EU in 2018 when it goes up again. 

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Until we properly left the EU in 2018 when it goes up again. 

It still doesn’t get back to 2016 levels and you’re going to have a tough time making the case that no longer allowing freedom of movement for EU citizens will have no effect on migration.

I think you could say the U.K. economy is missing that available EU workforce and its economy is suffering as a result but the data indicates Brexit has had a significant impact on U.K. immigration. 

The tweet you quoted on the previous page seemed to be conflating the current asylum seeker processing delay with an increase in immigration to the U.K. which may just be some confusion from the tweeter.

20 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It still doesn’t get back to 2016 levels and you’re going to have a tough time making the case that no longer allowing freedom of movement for EU citizens will have no effect on migration.

I think you could say the U.K. economy is missing that available EU workforce and its economy is suffering as a result but the data indicates Brexit has had a significant impact on U.K. immigration. 

The tweet you quoted on the previous page seemed to be conflating the current asylum seeker processing delay with an increase in immigration to the U.K. which may just be some confusion from the tweeter.

I really don’t think that chart shows Brexit has had a significant impact on immigration, there is an upward trend all the way along. There is a spike around 2016 off about 700k, a fall back to about 650k and then at 2018 the increase continues some more (to about 670k).

The immigration number for 2020 is higher than before the vote in 2015.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

I really don’t think that chart shows Brexit has had a significant impact on immigration, there is an upward trend all the way along. There is a spike around 2016 off about 700k, a fall back to about 650k and then at 2018 the increase continues some more (to about 670k).

I guess it depends on whether that line would have continued upward in the same vein as it was, had Brexit not happened or whether it would have plateaued on its own.

If immigration has indeed not been affected by Brexit then you can now conclude that is entirely the policy of the Tory party who have been in power post the Brexit withdrawal agreement, as the Uk now has full control over the level of immigration it receives and can set any level it likes, where as it didn’t have that ability before.

• Like 1

I just watched a video about the red bus and the associated claims broken down.

It wasn't anywhere near 350 million a week,  more like 180.  The total given to the EU a year was really loose change,  hardly anything. 

If the deficit has increased this is wiped out by interest payments ?

On 04/11/2022 at 17:28, Genie said:

The trend line if you remove/add the figures since 2016 is pretty much identical.

15 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Yup, as I recall it there was nobody at the time saying what a terrible idea it was. All of those consequences were completely 

Where  do you even start with that quote? No wonder people lack faith in politics when a minister claims  blithely that politicians have no competence to create sensible legislation. The tone seems  so matter of fact, as if incompetence is an inevitable fact of life and we just have to accept it. "Rubber hits the road". What a twazzock. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Where  do you even start with that quote? No wonder people lack faith in politics when a minister claims  blithely that politicians have no competence to create sensible legislation. The tone seems  so matter of fact, as if incompetence is an inevitable fact of life and we just have to accept it. "Rubber hits the road". What a twazzock. 

It’s the like catch all phrase used against Boris Johnson “he did his best (don’t be nasty to him)”

We’re expecting too much to want competency as a prerequisite of doing a job.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Great, the one thing we were good at and made loads of money from.

Britain's stock market has lost its position as Europe's most-valued, as the economic downturn weighs on UK companies, data shows.

France has taken the top spot as the combined value of its companies' shares have been boosted by currency movements and demand for French luxury goods.

It is the first time Paris has overtaken London since records began in 2003, according to data from Bloomberg. 

The UK is expected to fall into recession this year as inflation rises.

Link

Â