The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd like to compare this to a video on how to do it before we left the EU. I imagine the video for that would be about 15 seconds

1. Accept order.

2. Put goods on truck.

3. Wave goodbye to truck.

Made no different if you were sending the goods to Birmingham or Berlin.

3 minutes ago, Straggler said:

1. Accept order.

2. Put goods on truck.

3. Wave goodbye to truck.

Made no different if you were sending the goods to Birmingham or Berlin.

Or part 2 of this version which includes the final step

"Elise can't be **** bothered with all this extra hassle and cost so she buys her glassware from Roberto in Rome instead. Edward can't find anyone else to fill his extra capacity and slowly has to cut costs and downsize until he ultimately puts the company into liquidation, sacks all of his staff and files for bankruptcy"

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Or part 2 of this version which includes the final step

"Elise can't be **** bothered with all this extra hassle and cost so she buys her glassware from Roberto in Rome instead. Edward can't find anyone else to fill his extra capacity and slowly has to cut costs and downsize until he ultimately puts the company into liquidation, sacks all of his staff and files for bankruptcy"

The glassware factory, after a brief period of disrepair, is bought by a speculator private landlord.

The landlord converts the glass factory in to a number of glass factory themed apartments.

These apartments are bought up by people from outside the area and put on Air BnB as attractive glass factory themed instagram opportunities for those wanting a weekend away.

The people that once worked in the glass factory have not responded to the new dynamic business landscape offered by Brexit, and cannot afford the area.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Enda said:

“EU red tape.”

Imagine if the Remain campaign could have broadcast this video before the referendum.

Truss says she was wrong to vote remain in 2016 because not all of the things that could go wrong went wrong.

4 minutes ago, Enda said:

“EU red tape.”

Imagine if the Remain campaign could have broadcast this video before the referendum.

They did. Well, not literally. But they had plenty of material to show how complicated it would make things.

Obviously is all got dismissed as project fear

E1Gshk_XsAg0Ug6.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

They did. Well, not literally. But they had plenty of material to show how complicated it would make things.

Obviously is all got dismissed as project fear

E1Gshk_XsAg0Ug6.jpg

Not EVERYTHING went wrong though*, therefore Brexit was a success. 

*I’d love her to elaborate on what didn’t go wrong / went well.

How dare those French not spend their taxes on supporting our act of self harm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-62263176

Port of Dover declares critical incident over queues

Boss Doug Bannister told BBC Radio Kent the port had been "badly let down" by the French border controls.

He said they were "insufficiently resourced" in France and working slower than normal, leading to delays of up to five hours

The Port has accused the French authorities of ruining the summer getaway for thousands of families.

Holidaymakers booked on sailings from Dover have reported being stuck in five-hour queues to complete border checks before they can check in for their ferry.

The statement continued: "Regrettably, the PAF [police aux frontieres] resource has been insufficient and has fallen far short of what is required to ensure a smooth first weekend of the peak summer getaway period."

One traveller posted on Twitter: "I'm booked onto 8am ferry from Dover and it's total gridlock. Moved 50 metres per hour.

"At this rate it'll be 34 hours before I get to the port.

"I have a screaming toddler and three-month-old."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

The CEO of Dover has now said it's due to Brexit after blaming lack of French border bods yesterday. 

I must admit looking at those queues I did wonder how much difference 6 extra people could possibly make. 

I'm also looking at all those lorries and wondering how many of those British companies have managed to hold onto their European contracts by the skin of their teeth but now their Customers will just get sick of delays on top of all the other extra hassle. 

You can already see that Truss is going to fall into exactly the same trap as the others.

Talk about being tough with the EU, no surrender, no deal, we don’t need you etc but then there’s the other part that just won’t go away… it’s a moronic stance for the economy and the rights of the British people.

Do the thing that’s a stupid idea because it’s a vote winner with the racist supporters. Or propose genuine ideas to make the country prosper but you’ll be booted out because you spent 7 years saying we didn’t need to do it and they were the baddies.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

I must admit looking at those queues I did wonder how much difference 6 extra people could possibly make. 

This is a bit of a tangential mathematics problem.

Imagine processing a customer takes 10 minutes on average, and customers arrive randomly at a rate of 5.8 per hour. With one employee working, expected wait time is 5 hours. With two employees, it’s 3 minutes.

French civil servants know this. They know it is a simple problem to alleviate the queues at Dover. They know they can ease British pain for the equivalent of loose change down the back of the couch.

But why would they do that?

I genuinely think Brexit was just a huge unforced error from Cameron that could have easily been avoided.

People have wasted the subsequent years trying to read the tea leaves, but it was just a very specific convergence of circumstances, huge mistakes, and a very well fought Leave campaign (vs a totally incompetent and complacent Remain campaign).

The big problems in British politics continue to be housing, stagnant wages, and a lack of investment in infrastructure outside London. Brexit is just an additional barrier that has been layered on top of that, but obsessing over all the culture war shite is a distraction.

Tabloid fuelled anti-Brussels sentiment has been a feature of British politics for decades, but Thatcher, Major, Blair and Brown were all smart enough to just ignore it.

Cameron got cocky after the Scottish referendum, and didn’t realise he was taking a pointless risk with almost no upside.

• Like 3

Â