The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

13 minutes ago, blandy said:

Other than a 1 minute video which says it’s caused by not being in the EU anymore…

Ah ok, fair enough. I only scanned the text updates and didn’t watch the linked videos

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

I genuinely think Brexit was just a huge unforced error from Cameron that could have easily been avoided.

People have wasted the subsequent years trying to read the tea leaves, but it was just a very specific convergence of circumstances, huge mistakes, and a very well fought Leave campaign (vs a totally incompetent and complacent Remain campaign).

The big problems in British politics continue to be housing, stagnant wages, and a lack of investment in infrastructure outside London. Brexit is just an additional barrier that has been layered on top of that, but obsessing over all the culture war shite is a distraction.

Tabloid fuelled anti-Brussels sentiment has been a feature of British politics for decades, but Thatcher, Major, Blair and Brown were all smart enough to just ignore it.

Cameron got cocky after the Scottish referendum, and didn’t realise he was taking a pointless risk with almost no upside.

I thought cameron did it because he out it in his manifesto hence why he went ahead with it.

It wasnt a good decision by him but i didnt think people would be stupid enough to vote out

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I thought cameron did it because he out it in his manifesto hence why he went ahead with it.

It wasnt a good decision by him but i didnt think people would be stupid enough to vote out

Yep but there was no need to put it in the manifesto, and PMs have often walked back from manifesto commitments (Blair promised proportional representation in 1997, for example.)

• Like 1

The risk back then was that the conservative voters were going to switch to Brexit / UKIP type parties who were pushing for a referendum. 

Cameron promised it to basically make all those parties go away at a stroke.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

The risk back then was that the conservative voters were going to switch to Brexit / UKIP type parties who were pushing for a referendum. 

Cameron promised it to basically make all those parties go away at a stroke.

That wasn't quite it, there was also the ERG MPs threatening to leave the party and join UKIP too (like Douglas Carswell later did)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

That wasn't quite it, there was also the ERG MPs threatening to leave the party and join UKIP too (like Douglas Carswell later did)

Yes, my point being it had gone past the point of doing nothing. 

34 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yep but there was no need to put it in the manifesto, and PMs have often walked back from manifesto commitments (Blair promised proportional representation in 1997, for example.)

It was media driven - influencing people how bad the EU was and how much better we would be. I think people wanted it. As much of a collosal **** up it was he kept his word on that one. Unfortunately it was perhaps the worst thing he could have kept his word on! On that one i would have been happy if he lied to us

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yes, my point being it had gone past the point of doing nothing. 

Possibly. Cameron was always known in Tory circles for prioritising party management, and in this case he probably went too far trying to keep “the bastards” happy. John Major made the right call on this. As Danny Finkelstein has said many times, there is no peace offering the Eurosceptic / ERG crowd will ever accept, they just keep pushing for more. Cameron got sucked into their game.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

(with obvious apologies for the organ of choice)

I wonder if he paid for it himself, or if he’s blagged it as a work event and it’s a loss to the tax payers.

24 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I hope it arrives, has gone putrid, but they don't notice so everyone eats it and dies a long, horrible death covered in shit and vomit

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

In the Led by Donkeys video posted above JRM himself says delays will be in Calais not Dover :lol: . Absolutely glorious.

Â