The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

29 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Seriously? I noted she had said all of that and that there were Tories that voted against it; just presumed she would be one of them!

Not a single tory voted against it.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2022-06-27a.38.0#g128.3

INs6Xym.png

Our parliament is theatre. They spend hours and hours debating this, then the vote is split entirely among party lines anyway. What's the **** point.

• Like 2

Just now, Davkaus said:

Not a single tory voted against it.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2022-06-27a.38.0#g128.3

INs6Xym.png

Our parliament is theatre. They spend hours and hours debating this, then the vote is split entirely among party lines anyway. What's the **** point.

None. To be honest if the Tories are going to just vote without thinking then there is feels like there is genuinely no point to parliament at all. Wish they would just grow a backbone and actually have some principles.

I use to have a modicum of respect for Tory politicians as I whilst disagreed principally with their views, at least it was done in a respectful way. What they have shown over the last 10/20 years is that the way they govern has absolutely nothing to do with making the country better in accordance with their own views. They will literally say and do anything just to remain in power.

It is a shame that they are not called up on it properly and this is actually a genuinely good example, given that they are trying to change the thing that they said wouldn't need changing. 

53 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

there were Tories that voted against it

There weren't any Tories that voted against it. Quite a few abstained/were absent, but I looked at the vote record, and none voted "No". Maybe it was whipped.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Will this be the second bill they’ll have to re write because none of them have actually read it, never mind understood it.

All hail the tory block vote.

I’d bet it’s the second one that has some unintended consequences that they failed to consider.

Analysis of more than 200 polls has revealed that Brits have now turned against Brexit – with a ten-point gap opening between those who believed it was right to vote out and those who believe it was a mistake.

An Evening Standard study has shown that an average of just under 49 per cent of adults now believe voting to leave the European Union was the wrong thing to do, compared to just over 38 per cent who still say it was the right decision.

The average annual gap between those who believe it was “wrong” to vote to Leave compared to “right” has risen into double digits for the first time in 2022, to 10.6 percentage points.

This is almost double the 5.5 percentage point gap of last year, and far higher than 6.4 percentage points in 2020 and just under seven points in 2019, according to the analysis of 211 polls which asked whether in hindsight people thought Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the EU.

It comes as the government voted to rip up parts of its Brexit agreement last night, with MPs voting 295 to 221, majority 74, to give the Northern Ireland Protocol Bill a second reading, which clears the way for it to undergo detailed scrutiny in the coming weeks.

London Economic (but it's the Evening Standard's story originally)

I was thinking earlier, I expect that when Boris leaves he’ll admits that Brexit is a disaster but he only backed it as “the people” wanted freedom from Brussels, something like that.

He’ll spin it as doing it in response to public opinion, not public opinion being based on him and others suggesting it was a great idea. That’s my prediction of the day.

No way he continues to back it once he’s out of office.

On an individual to individual basis, they don't know what they are doing on a day to day basis.  

To be honest, I feel the same way in my new job "just get another week under the belt, it'll be fine" and stick our heads in the sand until a big shit sandwich comes up, then it's leave after serving x amount of years and go in the anonymity of earning hundreds of thousands of pounds doing the speech market gig and releasing a book on any scandals anyone but yourself were a part of. 

So apparently the IMF and The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development have stated that Britain is more susceptible to recession and high inflation than other Western countries.

This despite all of the international community grappling with exactly the same energy and commodity price increases. 

I wonder why they feel The UK uniquely is more susceptible? 

Edited by sidcow

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So apparently the IMF and The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development have stated that Britain is more susceptible to recession and high inflation than other Western countries.

This despite all of the international community grappling with exactly the same energy and commodity price increases. 

I wonder why the feel The UK uniquely is more susceptible? 

005e7f50-47b5-4c3a-8d88-b3a8b9e00649_tex

• Like 1

291331861_10160247621317287_9061649952369074701_n.thumb.jpg.697810b4056d341228eed4c97c96d5cd.jpg

UK wages have fallen behind European rivals

By 2018, UK incomes were just 9 per cent higher than in 2005, compared with 40 per cent in Germany and 39.8 per cent in France. 

UK wages have sunk far below those of European competitors, according to data from the Resolution Foundation’s latest Living Standards Audit. 

Back in 2005, the UK’s median disposable income, when adjusted for purchasing power, was higher than that of Germany and France, at around €17,000, compared with €16,000 and €14,500, respectively. But by 2010, the UK’s median income had fallen below that of France, Germany and other European neighbours including Ireland, the Netherlands and Belgium.

By 2018, UK incomes were just 9 per cent higher than in 2005, compared with 40 per cent in Germany and 39.8 per cent in France. 

This report comes as the threat of a UK recession grows. Inflation for the year to May stood at 9.1 per cent, with the Bank of England predicting it will hit 11 per cent by the autumn. Consumer confidence has fallen to the lowest level on record, and the UK is forecast to grow slower next year than every G20 economy except Russia. 

New Statesman

We are on track for a currency crisis – and bankruptcy

Our leaders fail to grasp that taking back control also means taking back responsibility

According to the latest national accounts, published last week, Britain’s current account deficit widened in the first quarter of this year to an astonishing 8.3pc of Gross Domestic Product, easily the biggest such deficit ever...

... Fortunately, the balance of payments doesn’t work quite like that; the deficit is paid for by inflows of capital from overseas, so the fact that we are still able to finance such a high level of consumption might be taken as a vote of confidence in the UK, rather than a cause for panic.

What is more, the Office for National Statistics has changed the way it collects the data, which may make the deterioration look worse than it really is. 

All the same, the situation looks alarming enough; even excluding sales of gold and other precious metals, which can be volatile, the deficit was still an eye watering 7.1pc, against an average of just 2.6pc last year.

It is hard to be certain about the exact causes of this deterioration. Certainly the soaring costs of imported energy and food were a major factor. But the UK also exports quite a lot of oil and gas, so there was a big offset in this regard.

The main factor was instead a big leap in imports of finished and semi manufactured goods. There was also a marked deterioration in exports of goods, though not as large as the increase in imports. Whatever ministers say to the contrary, it is hard to escape the conclusion that this is at least in part a Brexit effect. 

As demand came surging back, post the pandemic, the flaws in Boris Johnson’s “oven ready” trade deal with the EU have been cruelly exposed.

The EU trades pretty much freely with us - our choice, by the way, so as not to further add to inflation with increased bureaucratic restrictions on trade - but our exports to them are already encountering the full panoply of barriers that afflict non EU members that are not part of the single market.

Telegraph

The comics that Sunak's chums read are being unkind.

Couldn't say if that had any part in recent events?

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Good job leader of the opposition has a great plan to do pretty much nothing about it.

When sharks are tearing pieces off each other, why would you go swimming with them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

When sharks are tearing pieces off each other, why would you go swimming with them. 

I would have thought fixing the broken economy would be high up the to-do list.

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Yeah but I wouldnt pretend to be a vegetarian shark at the same time

Â