The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

I wonder what appetite there is to go for a much softer Brexit negotiation now.  Obviously the rabid Brexiteers will never want anything other than as hard as possible....they like it as hard as possible from public school training.

But maybe some of the more moderate ones have woken up to the reality and would support something much softer.  At the end of the day they can still say we are out, they got Brexit done which will appease most of the Brexit voters.  I am sure they can throw out some clever slogans about a new Norway type arrangement to make it sound like we're having our cake and eating it still.

I really don't think it's a massive vote loser - at the end of the day most Brexit voters had no idea what they were actually voting for anyway so probably don't care as long as we're not actually physically in the EU.

Will hard Brexit die with Boris I guess is the question.  I for one dearly hope so.

Edited by sidcow

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I wonder what appetite there is to go for a much softer Brexit negotiation now.  Obviously the rabid Brexiteers will never want anything other than as hard as possible....they like it as hard as possible from public school training.

But maybe some of the more moderate ones have woken up to the reality and would support something much softer.  At the end of the day they can still say we are out, they got Brexit done which will appease most of the Brexit voters.  I am sure they can throw out some clever slogans about a new Norway type arrangement to make it sound like we're having our cake and eating it still.

I really don't think it's a massive vote loser - at the end of the day most Brexit voters had no idea what they were actually voting for anyway so probably don't care as long as we're not actually physically in the EU.

Will hard Brexit die with Boris I guess is the question.  I for one dearly hope so.

I agree with this. 

I think a special “UK agreement” which is like a customs union is the only way through this now. It’s a win win for everyone with half a brain on both sides of the channel.

The risk is the papers running campaigns about going against the will of the people etc which I assume they will and will turn the air toxic.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They will have to. Of course it will be dressed up as a good deal for the UK - and won't ever be called a soft brexit 

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

They will have to. Of course it will be dressed up as a good deal for the UK - and won't ever be called a soft brexit 

Yep, it needs to be dressed as a special deal where we won against the EU. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

I agree with this. 

I think a special “UK agreement” which is like a customs union is the only way through this now. It’s a win win for everyone with half a brain on both sides of the channel.

The risk is the papers running campaigns about going against the will of the people etc which I assume they will and will turn the air toxic.

The will of the people was to leave the EU.  We've done that, anything else is fair game. There is no argument that they're going against the will of the people.

don't forget the will of the people is never allowed to change obviously. The way a group of people think definitely never responds to any events over the course of several years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I disagree they can \ will  (and indeed have) blamed the EU for all manner of ills 

Its vote winner - why on earth would they stop ? 

Because we're not in it? We've apparently got Brexit done.

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Yes but we still have a trading deal with the EU - which they can moan about - even though they agreed it 

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I even keep hearing that one of Boris' greatest achievements was getting Brexit done. Great so now Brexit is done let's leave them to make the best of it. 

Just now, sidcow said:

I even keep hearing that one of Boris' greatest achievements was getting Brexit done. Great so now Brexit is done let's leave them to make the best of it. 

Worked for Camz

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yes but we still have a trading deal with the EU - which they can moan about - even though they agreed it 

They can't, I don't remember any questions on the ballot paper about if we should or shouldn't have a trading deal with The EU. 

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They can't, I don't remember any questions on the ballot paper about if we should or shouldn't have a trading deal with The EU. 

They will.

"Labour will get into bed with the EU and squander our hard won independence "

The argument is totally flawed - but I would be staggered if they don't use something similar.

28 minutes ago, hippo said:

They will.

"Labour will get into bed with the EU and squander our hard won independence "

The argument is totally flawed - but I would be staggered if they don't use something similar.

That's actually a good point. Thing is it's becoming increasingly obvious (even if it wasn't before-which it was) that Brexit is a stupendous piece of self destruction. Maybe the country would stand for a softening view on it. 

18 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

That's actually a good point. Thing is it's becoming increasingly obvious (even if it wasn't before-which it was) that Brexit is a stupendous piece of self destruction. Maybe the country would stand for a softening view on it. 

It wont be obvious to your average white van driving brexiteer  !

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

It's why the press need to start printing more stories about what a disaster it's been.  They're mainly coming round now.  More and more stiff seems to be getting reported about the reality of it all.

22 minutes ago, hippo said:

Just ask him how much it's cost him to fill up his Van, and whether he's recently had a pay rise. 

16 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Just ask him how much it's cost him to fill up his Van, and whether he's recently had a pay rise. 

i know what his response will be 

baseball cap on backwards - fag in mouth -  "its the fooking EU ain't it "

Â