The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but ... a mate who works for AVFC was contacted by a former player who he is friends with. This player said that there is  a youth in his native Country who looks a real talent and wants to come to the UK; he is 16. My mate enquired from one of his colleagues who asked the youth's age. He is 16  - therefore cannot play in the (non EU) Britain until he is 18 . Another benefit of Brexit !!

2 hours ago, tinker said:

The will of the people will change very quickly when our economic situation falls further behind the rest of Europes. 

Fixed that for you 

• Like 1

Haha oh dear, it’s a shame nobody warned their owner

JD Wetherspoon (JDW.L) has warned annual losses will be bigger than forecast after it ramped up wages to attract staff and spent heavily on repairs and marketing.

The FSE 250 (^FTMC) pub chain now expects losses of around £30m for the year to the end of July after investing in staff and the business to "strengthen our position" for the new financial year.

Wetherspoons said that although sales were now matching pre-COVID levels, staff costs were far higher than before Covid as firms across the sector have had to hike wages to overcome recruitment difficulties.

Higher wages outside of the EU, who’d have predicted that? Maybe someone should have put it on a bus.

Yahoo News

Edited by Genie
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Higher wages outside of the EU, who’d have predicted that? Maybe someone should have put it on a bus.

That's a good thing for the staff. I think it was a leave campaign claim, as well.

Just now, blandy said:

That's a good thing for the staff. I think it was a leave campaign claim, as well.

Weatherspoons must be in big trouble now. If their sales are back to pre-pandemic levels but losing £30m a year.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Weatherspoons must be in big trouble now. If their sales are back to pre-pandemic levels but losing £30m a year.

Here’s hoping.

Whilst I don’t despise Wetherspoons as a brand I do despise the moron who owns it all and it would be somewhat satisfying to see him declared bankrupt as a direct result of the very thing he campaigned for.

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

Are higher wages a bad thing now? I don't recall Remain campaigning on the back of "let's stay in, it'll be great, you can have lower wages" :D 

Agreed.

I don't think it's particularly Brexit related, anyway. Similar situations have occurred on the Continent. Covid is the main cause, because people have re-evaluated during lockdowns and so on. Obviously, hospitality workers got a rough deal across the world, really - many lost their jobs, which are not well paying anyway, in most cases, and just decided to look around once lockdown ended - there are better opportunities for many of them, as businesses compete for labour and therefore wages go up. In the UK the absence of EU workers to fill gaps possibly pushes wages up a little more, though it's unlikely to make much if any difference in truth.

25 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Are higher wages a bad thing now? I don't recall Remain campaigning on the back of "let's stay in, it'll be great, you can have lower wages" :D 

They are if a business like Weatherspoons goes out of business as a result (from their point of view).

Its amusing because not only did he hold the view that Brexit was a good thing he pushed it very hard into his staff and even the customers. He was campaigning on behalf of vote leave using his pubs as the vehicle to spread the message. If he’s one of the unlucky ones to go out of business then it serves him right.

Higher wages or lower wages are all relative to the cost of living. Higher are not necessarily a good thing. 

It doesn't sound like they're in any danger at all of going out of business, they've chosen to invest heavily, and while the headline figure of £30m in losses is large and then conflated with the wages, the rest of the article makes it clear that over £20m of those losses were made up by extra repair costs from not maintaining things over the past couple of years, then they mention extra advertising campaigns, etc. The actual extra cost of the wage increases isn't specified, but it looks to be a very small percentage of that headline £30m figure

Edited by Davkaus

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It doesn't sound like they're in any danger at all of going out of business, they've chosen to invest heavily, and while the headline figure of £30m in losses is large and then conflated with the wages, the rest of the article makes it clear that well over £20m of those losses were made up by extra repair costs from not maintaining things over the past couple of years, then they mention extra advertising campaigns, etc. The actual extra cost of the wage increases isn't specified, but it looks to be a very small percentage of that headline £30m figure

You’re right that the articles don’t properly break down the costs. They’ve paid more in repairs than 4 years ago, maybe some of  that is also another impact of Brexit and the reduction and increased costs of hiring tradesmen and increased material costs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62168489

Cutting UK taxes now would be a mistake, says IMF

The IMF is among the groups predicting the UK could see the slowest growth and most painful inflation of any G7 nation in 2023, thanks, in part, to reliance on fossil fuels, a big driver of inflation.

However, Mr Flanagan said tax cuts could be misguided and might even boost inflation by strengthening spending.

Money raised through tax, he argued, could instead be used to invest in the country's long-term future

Many economists believe the UK's challenges are very deep-rooted - with economic growth lagging behind many competitors since the 2007 financial crisis.

Torsten Bell, from the Resolution Foundation think tank, said this lag had "widened inequality" ever since.

The poorest households in France are now 25% richer than their UK counterparts, he said, meaning that UK households have been left less resilient to cope with the current cost of living shock.

a decline in investment became particularly noticeable from 2016 onwards.

"Relative to our competitors, there was a break in 2016 at the [European] referendum - business investment fell dramatically and just hasn't recovered," she said, adding that it remains 10% below the 2015 peak.

She said this had led to a less efficient economy - and so poor wage growth.

The IMF's Mr Flanagan suggested resolving the current dispute over post-Brexit trading in Ireland could help revive investment.

"It's going to be hard to convince companies to invest a lot in incorporating the UK into their supply chains, while issues related to cross-border movement of goods and services remain unsettled," he said.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Straggler said:

"Simple"

Phew, thank god there isn't any extra cost in all this and there aren't any manufacturers in say Germany or Italy who could sell the same stuff without extra cost and hassle. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

"Simple"

I'd like to compare this to a video on how to do it before we left the EU. I imagine the video for that would be about 15 seconds

• Like 2

Â