The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

24 minutes ago, villaglint said:

For someone who spent their whole live campaigning for Brexit he sure doesn’t seem to understand much about Brexit. Hasn’t he basically got everything he wanted so far? 

He’ll say it’s not his Brexit, then go and live abroad and his supporters will blame everyone else. He’s said as much previously. Actually typing that he’d leave was quite enjoyable.

Just adds to the idea that’s been previously mentioned here and elsewhere that those in charge of pushing the idea of leaving the EU didn’t really think it would happen so hadn’t fully considered the subsequent fall out. 

There’s that Oscar Wilde quote - there are two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it. Nige has kinda achieved both scenarios.

6 hours ago, ChrisVillan said:

Hello everybody.

What are the benefits of Brexit, please?

Thank you.

1. You can deport EU citizens you don't like. Previously you needed a good reason (e.g. they're unemployed).
  2. You can subsidize any company you like. Previously you could only offer subsidies to industries (e.g. all solar panels manufacturers) not companies.
  3. This means you can set up Big British Government Solar Panel Company, subsidize it, and then fight any battles in the WTO rather than in the relatively free trading EU system.
  4. The EU has a tendency to choose the high-cost high-quality model when it comes to regulations, e.g. tracing your steak to the farmer. This has benefits but, if you want a low-regulation low-cost model, you can do it now.
  5. Assuming you're happy enough with trade barriers to EU members, you can trade much easier with the United States. See also the low-regulation point above.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, villaglint said:

For someone who spent their whole live campaigning for Brexit he sure doesn’t seem to understand much about Brexit. Hasn’t he basically got everything he wanted so far? 

I'm not sure the staunchest, gloomiest doomsayer would have predicted customs checks in Kent. Can you imagine the howls of project fear if people had claimed this was happening 6 months ago, never mind 5 years ago?

I've got to hand it to this government, just when you think you've seen them at their worst, they **** things up just a bit more. 

But still they'll hide behind "the will of the people", and people have invested so much of their personality into becoming "Brexiteers" that they'll lap it up. Nobody voted for this. It was never an option. Yet here we are.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Enda said:
  1. You can deport EU citizens you don't like. Previously you needed a good reason (e.g. they're unemployed).
  2. You can subsidize any company you like. Previously you could only offer subsidies to industries (e.g. all solar panels manufacturers) not companies.
  3. This means you can set up Big British Government Solar Panel Company, subsidize it, and then fight any battles in the WTO rather than in the relatively free trading EU system.
  4. The EU has a tendency to choose the high-cost high-quality model when it comes to regulations, e.g. tracing your steak to the farmer. This has benefits but, if you want a low-regulation low-cost model, you can do it now.
  5. Assuming you're happy enough with trade barriers to EU members, you can trade much easier with the United States. See also the low-regulation point above.

As my Nan used to regularly say. Can you do a bit of shopping for me but I don't want any of that you know...quality. 

She lived to 100 to be fair despite eating the cheapest "food" money could buy. 

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not sure the staunchest, gloomiest doomsayer would have predicted customs checks in Kent. Can you imagine the howls of project fear if people had claimed this was happening 6 months ago, never mind 5 years ago?

Hmmm I don't think this is true tbh. It's been said very often that Kent will just become a big truck park. This is just a big truck park with permits and ANPR.

One thing that does make me wonder though is, how will the people of Kent get supplies? Might be easier to go to Calais...

59% of Kent absolutely deserve this

7 hours ago, villaglint said:

As my Nan used to regularly say. Can you do a bit of shopping for me but I don't want any of that you know...quality. 

She lived to 100 to be fair despite eating the cheapest "food" money could buy. 

That’s impressive but I’m pretty sure I’d be dead now if I was still living off the pack of 10 value fishfingers from Kwik Save I used to buy when a student.

They cost 12p, and i was in uni from 2002-2005 for reference.

Have to admit. I actually had to google to see if you still were in the EU. I've lost track of this stuff completely. You're in, you're out. You're like Norway, but you're not. Something about Ireland, but it doesn't work. Very very confusing to me 😁

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Have to admit. I actually had to google to see if you still were in the EU. I've lost track of this stuff completely. You're in, you're out. You're like Norway, but you're not. Something about Ireland, but it doesn't work. Very very confusing to me 😁

You are not alone! Along with everyone in the UK and the rest of Europe, I genuinely believe no one has actually a complete picture of what is going on!

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It’s really quite simple

50382438442_f2b35783e1_w.jpg

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

Don't Northern Ireland and Gibraltar need adding to the middle of the diagram?

I did consider adding Northern Ireland and Sealand but it was going to make the writing too small.

In haste, I forgot about Gibraltar.

Â