The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

People talk about Jan 1 because it might start a big bang. While true, I’ve always suggested that the main economic effects of Brexit will be slow, quiet, and cumulative rather than visible as a big shock.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not really a shocker. The issue with Cambridge Analytica was always more that they had pretty much developed a methodology of influencing voters that changed the game and the world hadn't caught up. 

Besides which, it's not like Brexit happened because of Russia, or Cambridge Analytica. They're small cuts in long running vicious stabbing attack by elements of the Tory party and allied press.

• Like 1

Just now, Chindie said:

Besides which, it's not like Brexit happened because of Russia, or Cambridge Analytica. They're small cuts in long running vicious stabbing attack by elements of the Tory party and allied press.

I think this point - that we left because of a mountain of shit fed to the population over many years by large parts of the Tory party and all its friends in the media - is clearly correct, but an awful lot of people seem invested in a conspiracy theory that argues otherwise.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think this point - that we left because of a mountain of shit fed to the population over many years by large parts of the Tory party and all its friends in the media - is clearly correct, but an awful lot of people seem invested in a conspiracy theory that argues otherwise.

It's easier and less troubling to point at a direct outside influence than accepting that the self harm has come from years of indoctrination brought to a head at one of the worst times possible. 

Not to say that the conspiracy doesn't have some legs to an extent. But arguing it was the decisive blow is silly.

• Like 1

On 07/10/2020 at 08:40, Enda said:

People talk about Jan 1 because it might start a big bang. While true, I’ve always suggested that the main economic effects of Brexit will be slow, quiet, and cumulative rather than visible as a big shock.

I think it'll be difficult to predict as it'll be on the back of a million post furlough redundancies.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think you appear to be viewing them as an either / or situation

They aren't mutually exclusive

I was shocked that the ICO even investigated a CA / Russia link as I don't think I ever saw that as being a thing. CA did a lot of stuff but being linked with Russia wasn't one of the claims I remember, so why they investigated it is beyond me.

If you genuinely think that Russia (and Iran for that matter) didn't send the army of bots into Brexit in an attempt to swing the vote to leave then, I'm sorry but the evidence is there

1 hour ago, bickster said:

If you genuinely think that Russia (and Iran for that matter) didn't send the army of bots into Brexit in an attempt to swing the vote to leave then, I'm sorry but the evidence is there

And above those two, the USA.

6 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Yeah business. It's all *your* fault that the economy has to be sacrificed on the pyre of our voters' racism. 

Anecdotal, but in my experience the people I know who voted to leave did so more because they don't have a clue about what the EU is, basically because they and their friends and mates have sucked up a load of lies. The amount of misinformation out there now and back then is shocking and clearly undermines how a democracy works. It's happened before, and it'll happen again. There's a lot of passionate anger and very little knowledge. I did speak to one guy who was a massive racist though. And an idiot.

Â