The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

There is still plenty of analysis that says this is just a bluff to force the EU’s hand to agree a more favourable deal. 

I really don’t think it is.

The nationalists currently in charge of the UK believe it is their right for the whole of the UK (including NI) to move clear of any EU interference or oversight. 

On one level they are of course correct but unfortunately it ignores their responsibilities to the complex problem that is the NI border (and thanks to the agreement they signed, their responsibility to international law). 

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

There is still plenty of analysis that says this is just a bluff to force the EU’s hand to agree a more favourable deal. 

I really don’t think it is.

The nationalists currently in charge of the UK believe it is their right for the whole of the UK (including NI) to move clear of any EU interference or oversight. 

On one level they are of course correct but unfortunately it ignores their responsibilities to the complex problem that is the NI border (and thanks to the agreement they signed, their responsibility to international law). 

It’s more than that, it takes budget and powers away from Cardiff and Edinburgh, centralising control in Westminster.

This is Westminster taking back control from all directions, a grand centralisation of power in a tory run London, free to decide budgets, fund what it wants and withdraw cash where folk don’t do what they are told.

**** bring it on as far as I’m concerned now. Let’s have 4 years of London making everyone beg for scraps. Let’s see where that gets us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s more than that, it takes budget and powers away from Cardiff and Edinburgh, centralising control in Westminster.

This is Westminster taking back control from all directions, a grand centralisation of power in a tory run London, free to decide budgets, fund what it wants and withdraw cash where folk don’t do what they are told.

**** bring it on as far as I’m concerned now. Let’s have 4 years of London making everyone beg for scraps. Let’s see where that gets us.

Trouble is they've already killed more than 100k people with the cuts to social services through austerity, reduced NHS budget from over 5% to less than 2% of GDP undoubtedly killing more people culminating in the total catastrof**k handling the covid-19 pandemic. If they get away with breaking international law, forcing a no-deal Brexit (when they won the last election on the basis that they would get Brexit done with an over ready deal, which they wrote and voted for) on an already crippled UK then taking money out of Scotland, Wales, Cornwall, the North-East and other places where things like child poverty have quadrupled since 2009, then a lot more people will be harmed or forced out of existence. It is really that serious and I haven't mentioned anything abotu our standing in the world going from joke to international pariah...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Trouble is they've already killed more than 100k people with the cuts to social services through austerity, reduced NHS budget from over 5% to less than 2% of GDP undoubtedly killing more people culminating in the total catastrof**k handling the covid-19 pandemic. If they get away with breaking international law, forcing a no-deal Brexit (when they won the last election on the basis that they would get Brexit done with an over ready deal, which they wrote and voted for) on an already crippled UK then taking money out of Scotland, Wales, Cornwall, the North-East and other places where things like child poverty have quadrupled since 2009, then a lot more people will be harmed or forced out of existence. It is really that serious and I haven't mentioned anything abotu our standing in the world going from joke to international pariah...

Agree with all of that. I’ve been through it once already with the nasty bastards, now we’re going through it again.

The options to stop it are...

9 minutes ago, Xann said:

1. JRM's top hat sporting severed head atop a pointy stick appearing out the mist on the lawn of Chequers?

2. The mob.

I think 1 & 2 are basically the same, and that’s the only option to stop it that I’m seeing at the moment.

Labour’s plan to campaign in 4 year’s time under the slogan ‘we are not Boris Johnson’ will be undermined by Johnson being replaced by someone apparently more ‘serious’ six months before the election. New guy announces half price burgers and a tax break on million pound houses and wallop, another 5 years.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Labour’s plan to campaign in 4 year’s time under the slogan ‘we are not Boris Johnson’

I've seen no evidence of any such plan, tbf. They're as powerless at the moment as you or I. Right now they're taking the correct approach, as frustrating as that is.

46 minutes ago, blandy said:

I've seen no evidence of any such plan, tbf. They're as powerless at the moment as you or I. Right now they're taking the correct approach, as frustrating as that is.

...and I see no evidence of any plan.

I guess we’ll start to see where they are at when it’s time to vote on the Internal Market Bill.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

...and I see no evidence of any plan.

I guess we’ll start to see where they are at when it’s time to vote on the Internal Market Bill.

Sure. I guess they'll go for "stop with the illegality bits and we'll consider qualified support given the govt has a mandate for the WA from the election"

30 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Well with that nice Brexity Mark Francois having become curiously silent and almost anonymous recently, who else was gonna make mentalist war 2 references?

The UK's PM has just said in the Liaison Committee that he does not believe that the EU are negotiating in good faith*.

A few hours ago Brandon Lewis, NI Minister, said that he believed that the EU was negotiating in good faith.

If there's anything that's bound to make negotiating partners (even more) suspicious of you then it's this kind of behaviour.

*Edit:

From Johnson's bumbling answer, it would appear that this opinion is based upon the EU not saying that 'of course, under no circumstances would we blackade/stop agricultural products going from you to us or...that's clearly absurd'. It's one way of looking at it I suppose. Turn it around and if the UK government tells someone that they absolutely aren't considering doing something then you can bet your arse that they're not only considering it as a possibility but that they're intending to do it.

Edited by snowychap

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

"We can't have the EU doing that thing that we agreed to ten months ago"

The border has to be somewhere, if we stop FoM. They can keep putting their fingers in their eyes and yelling LA LA LA but it's still a thing that needs to be sorted.

Whose fault is this, Boris?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-15/key-border-it-system-won-t-be-ready-for-brexit-industry-warns?sref=yMmXm5Iy

The key IT system designed to avert border chaos when Britain finally separates from the European Union at the year-end won’t be fully tested and ready in time, according to Britain’s biggest logistics trade group.

Government officials told Logistics U.K. that the Smart Freight System -- designed to avoid snarl-ups at key channel ports such as Dover -- will only go into beta testing in mid-December and won’t be completed until April, the lobby group said in a statement on Tuesday.

The government says the system will be operational in December. But the prospect that businesses will be forced to use a new IT system to process billions of pounds of exports before it has been fully tested has prompted the industry to warn of potential chaos. The system is the centerpiece of the government’s strategy to avoid miles-long traffic jams and delays for businesses when customs checks are imposed after Britain leaves the EU’s single market and customs union on Dec. 31.

Â