The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

In order to leave the EU we have to have a border somewhere. 

It can be in sea between UK/Ireland - Breaking up UK

It can be between Northern Ireland/Ireland - Breaking up Ireland

It can be between Ireland and Europe - Breaking up EU

It can only be one of those options. 4 years on and we still haven't decided which one. 

• Like 3

In 2018 I was trying to explain to work colleagues why the border issue was unsolveable so I drew this on a whiteboard. I'm pretty sure it's still the same problem. (At the time it was Arlene and Theresa)

WXDvCdAfs5CWPhJnDQbQPkHeEmtujSnT83-cL_C1aoaXhPAt599BOm1fv4JvbrkFPRNWWbUwRAHOBcfgPxdvF6oGWIzzuGFC7pCDhRcpwau475rDExmv52eqwOTWDrBcxd8PGVY4V4CfpGNdby0iTDyG-1xgf3-Od1mCU1WdymKCiadGv8oUp6b7iC4e43cviZZrOiVhtlI6wpK3Ty6GDC45j5VmJCWQjh0vjB2I6fry88teNkrPZ7oIkNqUa54JftxORajVtY3zTB6OU04byCjopS7Xd_vntdvgP_pUHIeVAKgUAm-Za5pRuT2yUwDntFGAW2S8y1Ly6gwmhE4FKtkqey42u_LuFgsdAgnX4I2kplBqbpF__bohRMGTpO2B1-4ASpU32nmiM5tk-WrXPLJrcwmhaO_UGjXx5Fn0GR_COIc-D5LQULRXUHoWLwlGfIx6z1xAYYWNeE7lNNCksvOt9ODpbH7ldbOogIkWTKDnTWkZEf-7P61RqWAMEiys51fvI6svqCLa9dRO54QJQZpiol_ZcMSzlci495MiABs4CK3Q1svQ7V-A4Mr4HpTRBQdCw6XSxkCn3osDmj5rJ0_pbS_MghL-uyLzK5tD00BTY21cuNI-KmZaMD3xxFvJHXt836KbUO8mG7KdrauB0zVtGMyr1Q7KKe5qL7Mo939h4To1judKcrU=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

In order to leave the EU we have to have a border somewhere. 

It can be in sea between UK/Ireland - Breaking up UK

It can be between Northern Ireland/Ireland - Breaking up Ireland

It can be between Ireland and Europe - Breaking up EU

It can only be one of those options. 4 years on and we still haven't decided which one. 

Easily solved remember. We'll have a technomological border.

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Easily solved remember. We'll have a technomological border.

Funnily enough I work in the SaaS/software start up industry and I attended a virtual event a few weeks back that was kind of like Dragons Den for SaaS companies. Basically pitching to a bunch of VCs and then answering questions etc. There was a company on there that had an AI solution for doing Customs checks. Basically it learnt from customs officers currently doing the job and could do a 5 min job in seconds making less errors than a human. 

Wouldn't solve the need for a border but would solve the turning Kent into a car park thing. Be interesting to see if it goes anywhere or whether there are any hidden moats they are missing. 

1 minute ago, villaglint said:

Basically it learnt from customs officers currently doing the job and could do a 5 min job in seconds making less errors than a human. 

As someone that's been on the end of snake oil AI sales pitches more times than I can count, I'd be very interested in seeing the parameters for their testing of this. 

• Like 1

It's solvable if you refuse to accept it as a problem. Which is exactly what the government is going to do, because for what they want, a no deal, it's not a problem, and any issues that arise aren't something that bothers them.

AI created by RS (Realistic Stupidity) always seemed the way it went. While I was still able to work, it seemed that AI / Machine Learning was the default way to go. Whatever the question the answer was always AI/ML. Anyone tried to train one of these things?

40 minutes ago, Chindie said:

the government...because for what they want, a no deal, it's not a problem, and any issues that arise aren't something that bothers them.

I don't see it like that. Sure a small number of imbecilic throbbers might want no deal, but the government absolutely wants a deal, desperately. They want all this to go away and things to be more or less ok. The problem they've got themselves into is that whatever path they follow things will not be ok. So they're trying to force or push back against the walls of the cell they locked themselves in.

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Henry VIII caused all this with his randyness.

Follow the line back and it all goes to him wanting to give Anne Boleyn one.

If only. Gotta go further back for the start of England causing headaches in Ireland.

Henry II was the first king of England to invade us, and he wasn’t even English!

I, for one, am sure it was worth it. Look at all we've got for it.

There's not much tangible, I admit, but I can hold my head high while I walk through the ethnic aisle at Tesco. 

Brexit has now cost more than the International Space Station – and it continues to rocket

"We could all have free groceries for a year for the cost of Brexit."

The cost of Brexit to the UK economy has exceeded the International Space Station (ISS), according to new research – and it continues to rocket.

A report from Bloomberg Economics estimates that Brexit has set Britain back to the tune of £130 billion and is likely to top £200 billion by the end of the year.

By comparison, the ISS cost £115 billion, putting the damaging impact of the exit into context.

Â