The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

If we go no deal / hard Brexit haven’t all parties left if a bit late to shore up the Irish border? I assume nothing has been put in place for January the 1st should we end up in that scenario.

According to UK law, the only party who is supposed to shore up the border is the UK Government (maybe with help from the Stormont Assembly).

They say they've been doing it. Whether that's true or not, I guess you'd need to be on the ground in Belfast, Warrenpoint or Larne.

Edited by ml1dch

Thousands of Britons living in the EU will have their UK bank accounts closed by the end of the year because of the UK’s failure to agree a post-Brexit trade deal.

Lloyds, Barclays and Coutts have informed retail and business customers that they will lose their accounts before or when the Brexit transition period ends on 31 December and more banks are expected to follow suit.

Lloyds Banking Group, which includes Halifax and Bank of Scotland, has contacted its 13,000 customers in the Netherlands, Slovakia, Germany, Ireland and Portugal, warning them they must make alternative arrangements as the bank is no longer allowed to offer services.

Grauniad

On 17/09/2020 at 15:39, NurembergVillan said:

I literally had to bite my fingers watching this shambles of a performance - 

I'd love to see someone ask him the same question this week. Having been publicly humiliated for not reading a pamphlet sized document that is central to trade talks with both the EU and the USA, has he been professional enough to put it right?

My money is on no.

• Like 2

On 30/12/2018 at 18:59, wazzap24 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46714984

Concerns have been raised over the readiness of a British firm contracted by the government to run extra ferries in the event of a no-deal Brexit. 

Seaborne Freight was awarded a £13.8m contract this week to run a freight service between Ramsgate and Ostend. 

The firm has never run a ferry service and a local councillor said it would be impossible to launch before Brexit.

Now gone into liquidation, owing their creditors £2m.

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

They could walk to France?

Wouldn't that faith, though, only bestow upon them the belief, if they were trinitarians, that one human (the son of God as the human manifestation of something with God-like ability) could do that?

Or have I been listening to (and probably not sufficiently understanding) too much talk about medieval theology?

I know, I know - off topic :D.

• Like 1

No-deal Brexit will cost UK more than Covid, report finds

LSE analysis says long term economic hit will be two to three times as large as Covid impact

Grauniad

Just waiting for JRM to spearhead a poor house revival now. He'll be well chuffed we've found a replacement for Typhus and Cholera.

Â