Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

14 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Another day where people go and hand over money to Mr Lerner in order to protest. That'll teach him! 

Interesting point. I think the protests have done an excellent job, but it does beg the question as to whether an attendance of, let's say, <20k would send more of a message. 

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Interesting point. I think the protests have done an excellent job, but it does beg the question as to whether an attendance of, let's say, <20k would send more of a message. 

Without a shadow of a doubt. I can't believe more people don't see it. It's totally counter intuitive to go and buy a product just so they can complain about it's poor quality. Imagine the players running out to a totally empty ground. That would show them what we think far greater than throwing paper aeroplanes and walking out 16 minutes from time. It's obvious. 

Edited by One For The Road

12 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

It's also "our" club, why should we walk away

That may have been true 20-30 years ago but football clubs are businesses now. Faceless corporations who don't give a shit about a fan who has been going for 30 years. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ThisCouldBeRotterdam said:

You're forgetting thousands of people have season tickets. Already paid in full so no choice to withdraw the money,  just make our voices heard in other ways.  

Agreed with this. I think those already committing to buying a season ticket should think again, though.

I wouldn't stay away having spent hundreds of pounds, but giving Lerner more of your money, yeah, that makes the protests look a little hollow.

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

Without a shadow of a doubt. I can't believe more people don't see it. It's totally counter intuitive to go and buy a product just so they can complain about it's poor quality. Imagine the players running out to a totally empty ground. That would show them what we think far greater than throwing paper aeroplanes and walking out 16 minutes from time. It's obvious. 

It is 'counter intuitive' in my opinion to be a supporter and NOT 'support' your club. The absence of your good self and thousands of others didn't stop us being relegated did it? It didn't change the ownership, you achieved nothing by your absence for the club. You not attending achieved what?... apart from making you feel superior to those that attended. Jog on....

• Like 3

And who is giving money to Lerner by buying a season ticket??  I'm not.  Lerner doesn't take any money out of the club.  The money I spend on a season ticket goes to Aston Villa Football Club,  not Lerner's pocket.  Villa are the club I support,  I shall continue to do so. 

If you honestly think staying away Is somehow going to help the club then I think you're very wrong.  

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

It is 'counter intuitive' in my opinion to be a supporter and NOT 'support' your club. The absence of your good self and thousands of others didn't stop us being relegated did it? It didn't change the ownership, you achieved nothing by your absence for the club. You not attending achieved what?... apart from making you feel superior to those that attended. Jog on....

Unnecessarily aggressive reply to his post there me thinks. Calm down. 

I agree with both of you, at times I think 'just walk away', other times 'why should I give up on villa, we need Lerner out'. It's a difficult thing and there's no definitive answer really. No right or wrong. But as fans we need to show compromise to understand differing views because if we are fighting each other then it's not going to work. OftR claimed no superiority in his post. Level headedness is required, not petty aggressive comebacks.

Lets stick together chaps. Show a bit of respect eh?

• Like 2

The tone might have been harsh, but the point is IMO fair. I don't attend games, but I'm aware enough to realise that my doing so in no way inconveniences Lerner per se, it simply means the club get one less lot of £30 with which to buy players, pay staff, reduce debt etc. As PieFacE says, Lerner personally gets nothing from the club at this point. It barely even leaves him romantically nourished. 

59 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The tone might have been harsh, but the point is IMO fair. I don't attend games, but I'm aware enough to realise that my doing so in no way inconveniences Lerner per se, it simply means the club get one less lot of £30 with which to buy players, pay staff, reduce debt etc. As PieFacE says, Lerner personally gets nothing from the club at this point. It barely even leaves him romantically nourished. 

My point is that the players coming get out to an empty ground would surely be enough to force Lerner to lower his price and get out of the club. It would also show the players how we feel. But anyway, enough has been said on that point for now. People must do whatever they feel is right and if people want to protest by going to the match and booing the players then fair enough. I do happen to doubt that that would have any more of a positive effect than my suggestion of a boycott but it's up to each individual to decide.

35 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

My point is that the players coming get out to an empty ground would surely be enough to force Lerner to lower his price and get out of the club. It would also show the players how we feel. But anyway, enough has been said on that point for now. People must do whatever they feel is right and if people want to protest by going to the match and booing the players then fair enough. I do happen to doubt that that would have any more of a positive effect than my suggestion of a boycott but it's up to each individual to decide.

You're right, it's up to each individual supporter. 

I don't know how much lower anyone can think the price is going to get, supposedly Lerner is asking somewhere between £40m-£75m, don't think it can realistically be much cheaper than that. 

We all know fans paying for tickets is pretty inconsequential in the premier league in terms of its revenue worth.

Next season though it becomes pretty important again to the club due to lack of TV income so any potential boycott would hurt the club much more next season.

Let's hope it dosen't come to that though and things can be sorted out over the summer. 

Genuine question. What are these protests intended to achieve? This isn't me having a go, I'm genuinely interested to know. Turning up and booing the players hasn't worked on the pitch it seems so is there somethinge else it's intended for?

Just now, One For The Road said:

Genuine question. What are these protests intended to achieve? This isn't me having a go, I'm genuinely interested to know. Turning up and booing the players hasn't worked on the pitch it seems so is there somethinge else it's intended for?

Booing the players isn't any sort of organised protest as far as I can tell.

To me the objective from the protests was to force Lerner to reconsider the asking price he wanted and force him to hurry up and sell the club a little bit quicker.

I know you can say relegation has accelerated those things which is fair enough but I'd consider the protests a success if we have new owners by the time the new season kicks off. 

Â