Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

21 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I would guess the problem is that we are aiming quite high for our targets, top end championship minimum, else whats the point. 

Now these will idealy want premiership football, so its no surprise that our potential signings are not signing for a championship club before they see what their options are.

There will be a lot of work done in the final few days i would think!

The problem is that we're a bag of shit. Like someone said..... wolves get taken over and start slamming 20m quids about. No that's not necessarily the answer either but we've become so 'small time' in everything we do.

Our owner said we're gonna take on the world in 5 years. Already backtracking saying it's gonna take longer. Course it is..  It ain't happening. He's completely full of shit.

• Like 4

No more signings and we have practically zero chance of making the playoffs. Defensively shaky, midfield is physically weak and our attack is impotent. 

Get a striker in and playoffs become possible. Get an attacking midfielder in too and the playoffs are practically guaranteed. Get a RB as well and we'll fight for automatic promotion with luck with injuries.

Three signings needed at least. Lots to do and I'm very disappointed that a week tomorrow we kick off the new season and we're in this position. I can see now why 'prepared' was dropped from the badge!

Bored of the talk/tweets, would like to see some action.

• Like 1

Last year the overall outlook on our transfer activity seemed to be pretty positive and there seemed to be an hope that it could finally be the season where we don't find ourselves in a relegation battle. I even remember posts that said things like teams with players like Veretout in them don't struggle, and #I think we'll finish above Tottenham'. And look what happened with the season. Maybe this year the opposite will happen. Although I expect there's still at least another three or four players that we're going to sign, so by the end of the window the pomposity may well return.

• Like 2

Yeah whoever said that about Spurs, don't sweat it, even I initially thought we'd do better than we eventually did. I was just trying to point out that fans reaction to transfer activity isn't always a good indication of how the season might go.

So preseason done and next match is the real test. Have to say I am somewhat disappointed with the result against Middlesborough. Didn't watch the game but from all the comments it seems that not much has changed since last season unfortunately. Hopefully that can be sorted out but next month will be exceptionally telling for the season. 

Did have a thought about where we need to improve desperately and its seems clear that we still lack that cutting edge in front of goal. Having gone through the stats of pre season our goal breakdown was as follows:

Total goals: 21 goals

Defenders: 5
Midfielders: 3 (including Sinclair)
Forwards: 13  (4 were from youth strikers too so 9 senior strikers)

And it's fair to say also that we have not played decent opponents. To me that midfield stat is abysmal, being out scored by defenders?! Clearly not strong enough in the slightest.

With Amavi coming back might tighten the defence, but I would really want to see some improvement there. However that might need game time more than anything just to get them working together.

However we definitely need to improve the attack and midfield. That lack of midfielders scoring is a worry and having a strong striker will improve us immensely. We need:

Defensive Midfielder
Attacking/Creative Midfielder
Striker

As an absolute minimum if we want to even consider promotion right now. Still don't think we have worry regarding relegation but the squad needs strengthening. The fact that Sinclair was involved shows me the move to Celtic is not near. Sanchez also showing no move imminent. 

I was rather hopeful but hmmm....

Tony, Roberto, Keith. Your move.

The balance in our team is still woeful, Hutton and Cissokho are awful attacking outlets plus today they bombed forward and left comedy gaps in the defence.

Sinclair is clearly off to Celtic so no point in talking about him. Grealish isn't really a wide player and although I think he will be a key player for us, he was too easily marked out of the game today. Traore is injured and Green isn't yet a starter. 

But even if Traore and Green did play - no-one seems capable of getting on the end of any crosses.

Westwood puts me to sleep.

We need a more radical overhaul than is currently happening, hopefully after today RDM see's that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

I can't think of one single player in our squad that I'd be disappointed to see leave

There are 1 or 2 I'd like to keep, but like you, i wouldn't be desperately unhappy to see anyone leave. 

Amavi maybe gets cut a little more slack than others due to how early he suffered his injury, but they all played a huge role in our relegation. 

The Birmingham Mail did say at one point that we were waiting for Premier league clubs to do business so we could buy players from that division who ended up being surplus to requirements (or words to that affect). Maybe they were right.