Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

Lewis Cook. Knows the league, has great potential and has some premier league clubs looking at him. Won't be cheap, we won't have premier league either but I'd like to think we will show some ambition (as sad as that sounds) in making a team that is likeable atleast. In terms of experienced players I'm all for it but in the championship I also want to see younger players who look like they atleast care and could make the step up in the premier league not just a team full of 30 year olds. This of course requires money, so in reality I'm not expecting much under this regime despite also not spending in January. 

We need a handful of players from the Premier League who are no longer regulars and would (potentially) be willing to step down, and then we need to scoop up the best young(ish) talent from the Championship who aren't going on to the Premier League. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I keep repeating this, but I think the best business we can do this summer is keeping our best players and getting rid of the deadwood.

Even if the championship was 5 a side that wouldn't be sufficent

6 minutes ago, blunther said:

Joe Lolley anyone? Not sure how he's done at Huddersfield but I've seen his name pop up a few times with goals. At least he'd give a shit, which is more than the current lot 

Are you one of our current scouts ?

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

Who are these best players you talk of?

Only ones I give a toss keeping are Okore, Amavi, Grealish,  Adama and Ayew (very unlikely as mid table prem teams like Palace and Watford will probably be interested). And reluctantly Gestede as at least he has some sort of record down there. Baker and Gardner can be options coming back from loan aswell.

I doubt we'll have that huge squad turnover but we need it as people have had enough of this squad taking the mick.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Charlie Adam for me would be a no brainer, easily better than what we have, knows the league, has a good engine and has very good set-piece delivery. We need players like that

could do for us what Nolan did for West Ham

Would look at Yoshida aswell from Southampton. Reserve CB there but think he played a bit when Southampton got promoted from the championship in 11/12.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would look at Yoshida aswell from Southampton. Reserve CB there but think he played a bit when Southampton got promoted from the championship in 11/12.

Yoshida only joined after they got promoted, I remember we were linked with him before when he in Netherlands

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Didn't he join after they were promoted? he's a decent CB and always seems to play well against us.

Yep, you're right, they had a Japan player in the squad but it was Tandari Lee who was a striker so that was my confusion.

I think we need to target internationals who aren't getting a regular game in the prem as you'd like to think they'd still be motivated which is key.

Plenty of national teams still call up championship players, Abel Hernandez at Hull gets called up for Uruguay still so it shouldn't be a major issue.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yep, you're right, they had a Japan player in the squad but it was Tandari Lee who was a striker so that was my confusion.

I think we need to target internationals who aren't getting a regular game in the prem as you'd like to think they'd still be motivated which is key.

Plenty of national teams still call up championship players, Abel Hernandez at Hull gets called up for Uruguay still so it shouldn't be a major issue.

This guy's a chef in my local indian

• Like 2

rumours around net that Gary O'Neill (32 year old at Norwich) will be our first signing on a bosman..

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-rumour-mill-11164067

The Sun write that Aston Villa want Norwich midfielder Gary O'Neil ahead of what is now inevitably a season in the Championship.

O'Neil, 32, will leave Carrow Road on a free at the end of the campaign and the claret and blues are set to snap him up.

The former Portsmouth and Middlesbrough midfielder has plenty of experience - and had success - in the second tier of English football.

He's been promoted in the play-off final in 2012 with West Ham, in 2014 with QPR and last season with the Canaries.

Villa are expected to be very busy in the transfer window this summer, concerning both arrivals and departures and, despite not yet having a permanent manager, O'Neil could be brought in.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Only ones I give a toss keeping are Okore, Amavi, Grealish,  Adama and Ayew (very unlikely as mid table prem teams like Palace and Watford will probably be interested). And reluctantly Gestede as at least he has some sort of record down there. Baker and Gardner can be options coming back from loan aswell.

I doubt we'll have that huge squad turnover but we need it as people have had enough of this squad taking the mick.

Okore has one year left and been talking to the press about moving on. Amavi got caught out defensively numerous times before his injury - and was bought be the same team of morons who bought the rest of the rubbish we bought in the summer, Grealish's attitude is all wrong and hasn't given Villa anything, Adama could be exciting but is so raw do we stick and Ayew can't be arsed half the time and is always a sending off waiting to happen.

I'd sell them all.