The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

I bet as soon as Levy heard Villa were interested he thought

"Hmm, $$$$$, 5mil for Townsend, let me see, oh that Yanky Dumb***k who owns Villa. Double it...... Er no Triple it.......waster...... Wtf!!"

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'm not even denying that he's better than what we have btw. He might be.

But we bought Gestede, who needs crosses to be effective. Townsend doesn't cross.

He literally shifts the ball onto his left foot and shoots.

15m would be a colossal waste of money for him.

Newcastle overpaid hugely too because he's English and has a few caps.

He put over some decent  crosses against Sunderland

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Sherwood had the final say, I've no doubt about that. 

But I don't believe he's the one who picked all of these players. 

If he's offered 3 fairly average unknown midfield players and says out of them I'll take Veretout. Then yes he's had the final say but it's not like he's picked every player we signed. This isn't defending him because I imagine the likes of Gestede and Lescott where players he pushed through. So I'm not going to pretend he'd have signed a brilliant squad if given a free role. 

I imagine he chose some and some were presented to him. He takes a lot of blame for our squad but so do the rest of the committee. As a collective they **** up and rightly most of them are no longer here. 

Which is surely how every club in the country functions?

Unless the manager goes out and scouts all his own players.

I imagine this is how we've always done transfers, at least for a long time. Managers live and die by their signings. And in this case Sherwood left us totally ****.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Zatman said:

well I dont think Traore was a managerial decision and more of a committee move, was like manager wanted Townsend/Lennon and board wanted Adama. Sherwood said when he signed the lad wouldnt be ready for a season

Did you miss this post?

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, I agree with this entirely...

...but that, ultimately, means Sherwood created the squad.  Fair enough, not "his" players necessarily but, having signed Gestede, why not get some **** wingers?  He could've said "you're alright on central midfielders guys, can we look for wingers please?" or whatever.  Instead, we have this unbalanced team which wasn't even touched in January.

Rumours were that we wanted Lennon and Townsend and we did sign Adama. But yeah it was failure in the end. Even more so when we were meant to be using statistics to help us. Sign a guy who thrives on headers and don't sign people who can cross the ball well. 

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, I agree with this entirely...

...but that, ultimately, means Sherwood created the squad.  Fair enough, not "his" players necessarily but, having signed Gestede, why not get some **** wingers?  He could've said "you're alright on central midfielders guys, can we look for wingers please?" or whatever.  Instead, we have this unbalanced team which wasn't even touched in January.

The mystery is why Villa found Gestede so attractive when his one goal in two games, in his single decent season at Blackburn in the Championship, hardly promised great things at a higher level.

Jordan Rhodes' numbers at Blackburn were far better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The mystery is why Villa found Gestede so attractive when his one goal in two games, in his single decent season at Blackburn in the Championship, hardly promised great things at a higher level.

Jordan Rhodes' numbers at Blackburn were far better.

Gestede had 2 good seasons at Blackburn.  Last season was 20 in 39.  The season before was 12 in 21.  And while Rhodes was an absolute machine for Blackburn over 4 seasons, Gestede outscored him in the season that we bought him.  Whatever about the reasons why we found him attractive, I just wanted to clear up the oft-used fallacy that he was in some way a one season wonder.  He wasn't.

8 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Anyway..... Remi Garde. Nailed on to be out of the job by Tuesday evening. What on earth is going on?

Not everything you read in the media is 100% accurate, perhaps?:o

Anyway..... Remi Garde. Nailed on to be out of the job by Tuesday evening. What on earth is going on?

I very much doubt any truth in the media speculation. I think he's here to stay whether we like it or not.

13 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Not everything you read in the media is 100% accurate, perhaps?:o

I hate the press as it is, so I think you'll find I'm quietly laughing at them!

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

The way the media were reporting it it seemed as if they'd been briefed by the club that he was going to be sacked. Very odd.

I am of the thoughts that some excited member of staff at AVFC thought that with 2 of the 3 stooges going, Garde would be next so ran his mouth off to a journalist (Think the Mirror first reported that he would be gone in 48 hours), with the story exploding. Turns out the press aren't as clever as they thought they were and in reality, they know nothing!

32 minutes ago, gaz711 said:

I very much doubt any truth in the media speculation. I think he's here to stay whether we like it or not.

I think he's here until we're mathematically down. Then we will owe him less money. 

I'm amazed there's so much speculation about him going beforehand... why would we do that when we could sack him in a few weeks and save a million or two?

Â