The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Ok fine so maybe they were approved by him but i doubt very much whether many of them were his picks. Oh what does it matter anyway! Two wrongs dont make a right. Both Sherwood and Garde have failed this season to get anything out of these players. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

Sherwood had the final say, I've no doubt about that. 

But I don't believe he's the one who picked all of these players. 

If he's offered 3 fairly average unknown midfield players and says out of them I'll take Veretout. Then yes he's had the final say but it's not like he's picked every player we signed. This isn't defending him because I imagine the likes of Gestede and Lescott where players he pushed through. So I'm not going to pretend he'd have signed a brilliant squad if given a free role. 

I imagine he chose some and some were presented to him. He takes a lot of blame for our squad but so do the rest of the committee. As a collective they **** up and rightly most of them are no longer here. 

Yeah, I agree with this entirely...

...but that, ultimately, means Sherwood created the squad.  Fair enough, not "his" players necessarily but, having signed Gestede, why not get some **** wingers?  He could've said "you're alright on central midfielders guys, can we look for wingers please?" or whatever.  Instead, we have this unbalanced team which wasn't even touched in January.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, I agree with this entirely...

...but that, ultimately, means Sherwood created the squad.  Fair enough, not "his" players necessarily but, having signed Gestede, why not get some **** wingers?  He could've said "you're alright on central midfielders guys, can we look for wingers please?" or whatever.  Instead, we have this unbalanced team which wasn't even touched in January.

Well he did want Townsend to be fair

Just now, MakemineVanilla said:

But where's the logic?

Sack one manager for signing 13 players who are not good enough and then demand the head of another for failing to make them better than they are.

If they weren't good enough in the first place how can you blame someone who didn't sign them? 

Gana, Veretout, Ayew were good players in the french league so you might have expected him to get more out of them. ok unlucky with Amavi.

5 minutes ago, a m ole said:

and we couldnt afford him. so find an appropriate alternative.

So that proves my argument. He didn't get the players he wanted. 15 million for Townsend or waste 8 or 9 mil on Adama. 

Edited by PaulC

well I dont think Traore was a managerial decision and more of a committee move, was like manager wanted Townsend/Lennon and board wanted Adama. Sherwood said when he signed the lad wouldnt be ready for a season

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

well I dont think Traore was a managerial decision and more of a committee move, was like manager wanted Townsend/Lennon and board wanted Adama. Sherwood said when he signed the lad wouldnt be ready for a season

It was a rediculous signing. We needed players for this season not for the future,

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

So that proves my argument. He didn't get the players he wanted.

no it doesn't. Especially as Steve just quoted Sherwood saying he'd been following Adama for years.

He may have wanted brilliant players, but if we can't get them it's his job to find appropriate alternatives from a long list of players provided by scouts/'the committee'. That's how it works. The players we got were players he said "yes, they will fit the squad I want to build". If the players weren't very good, they should at least had made sense on a tactical level, which they don't. Tim's responsibility.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, a m ole said:

no it doesn't. Especially as Steve just quoted Sherwood saying he'd been following Adama for years.

He may have wanted brilliant players, but if we can't get them it's his job to find appropriate alternatives from a long list of players provided by scouts/'the committee'. That's how it works. The players we got were players he said "yes, they will fit the squad I want to build". If the players weren't very good, they should at least had made sense on a tactical level, which they don't. Tim's responsibility.

Yes ok mistakes were made all round. I think Adama might end up being a great player but we have hardly seem him this season.

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes ok mistakes were made all round. I think Adama might end up being a great player but we have hardly seem him this season.

I agree, I hope there isn't anything allowing him to leave easily as I think finding his feet in the championship would really help his development, worry is he thinks he's too good for that.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Really pulling up trees at Newcastle...

He's a winger that can't cross. Spending 15m on him would be gross mismanagement.

1 goal in 4 games is not bad compared to some of our players

Â