The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

40 minutes ago, BOF said:

It was my understanding that the payoff a manager receives when he is fired is the wages (or part thereof) he would have received had he stayed to the end of said contract.  So he doesn't continue to get paid, he just instantly receives all of (or part thereof) his future wages in one lump sum from that club.  Which is why they can sit on a beach for a few years if they choose to (here's looking at you David O'Leary).

Lump sum on the accounts. But I imagine a lot of managers are paid in installments, i,e, monthly wages like they would have been paid anyway.

4 hours ago, mwj said:

Do you have trouble reading?

I didn't say there wasn't a transfer committee. I just don't absolve Sherwood of blame as the man with the final decision on transfers.

Lescott - approved

Richards - approved

Sinclair - approved

Gestede - approved

Veretout - approved

Gana - approved

Illori - approved

Crespo - approved

Traore - approved

"I'm not sure how you can disagree with that."

How do you know he approved all those signings. I know he was on the transfer committee but did he have the final say.

Just now, PaulC said:

How do you know he approved all those signings. I know he was on the transfer committee but did he have the final say.

Yes. He did. He said so himself several times.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well maybe if you can provide evidence of that I might believe it but I know you're not impartial so i still have doubts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Cant really understand why but.

Things like the above are stated in interviews, OS, linked here and YT yet people still ignore them an go on about things with their own versions of the facts peddling their own rhetoric.

“I certainly had a say, but the final say? It was more of a combined collective decision and ultimately the man who puts his hand in his pocket is the one who has to make that decision,” he told beIN Sports.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Well maybe if you can provide evidence of that I might believe it but I know you're not impartial so i still have doubts.

It took me a Google search, admittedly:

Aston Villa boss Tim Sherwood: 'Now it's my neck on the line'

Villa boss confirms he had the final say on all transfers and admits he will take responsibility for successes or failures of his new team

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-boss-tim-sherwood-9977791

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

But Sherwood insists he had the final say, he is the one to blame if it all goes wrong, and he should be the one to take credit if they turn into claret and blue superstars.

“If they are a success they are down to me,” he said.

“If they are a failure it’s also down to me.

“I’ve got no excuse. I won’t be blaming anyone else.

“You can do that if they’re not your players and if you have to work with what you are dealt. Of course you will have every right to, then.

“But that’s not what happens here.”

Link

First quote I came across. He was quoted many times.

Once he'd been sacked he seemed to go back on this in one interview where he claimed Lerner had the final say, but I assume that was in terms of money, because I'm fairly certain Lerner wouldn't be involved in deciding what players to go for.

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

“I certainly had a say, but the final say? It was more of a combined collective decision and ultimately the man who puts his hand in his pocket is the one who has to make that decision,” he told beIN Sports.

Thats Tim-spin for ya

If he didnt want to accept it he should have walked.

But no, he B-lined for 20th so he could be sacked/paid off

Sly Cockney ..........

im sure if Sherwood had final say on all players he would have went for Lennon or Townsend over Traore for example

sure since I was criticized for similar before but I dont see why people bring up Sherwood in Garde thread as a way to defend Garde ;)

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

im sure if Sherwood had final say on all players he would have went for Lennon or Townsend over Traore for example

I think you're misunderstanding "final say".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mwj said:

Do you have trouble reading?

I didn't say there wasn't a transfer committee. I just don't absolve Sherwood of blame as the man with the final decision on transfers.

Lescott - approved

Richards - approved

Sinclair - approved

Gestede - approved

Veretout - approved

Gana - approved

Illori - approved

Crespo - approved

Traore - approved

"I'm not sure how you can disagree with that."

Who absolved him of blame. The post of mine that started all this clearly said Sherwood was part of the transfer committee. Maybe if you'd read that properly we could have saved ourselves from this discussion. 

Just now, Zatman said:

“We made a huge effort to bring him to the club because I’ve known him for a couple of years.

“He is someone I have been tracking for a long time."

Link

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

sure since I was criticized for similar before but I dont see why people bring up Sherwood in Garde thread as a way to defend Garde ;)

Lennon or Townsend choosing to go elsewhere has no bearing on this. If he didn't want players he had all the power to say no to them. That is the point.

Sherwood had the final say, I've no doubt about that. 

But I don't believe he's the one who picked all of these players. 

If he's offered 3 fairly average unknown midfield players and says out of them I'll take Veretout. Then yes he's had the final say but it's not like he's picked every player we signed. This isn't defending him because I imagine the likes of Gestede and Lescott where players he pushed through. So I'm not going to pretend he'd have signed a brilliant squad if given a free role. 

I imagine he chose some and some were presented to him. He takes a lot of blame for our squad but so do the rest of the committee. As a collective they **** up and rightly most of them are no longer here. 

• Like 4

Â