The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

20 minutes ago, TB said:

Surely there's a difference between giving the manager a free pass to lose every remaining game and saying that I) Ok, we're down. The rest of the season doesn't really matter now - it's the re-build we hope will happen in the summer that's important or II) OK, we're down. Season over, dusted, done with. Let's bring in the kids and start to prepare them now.

I've seen both those views on here. Some might like Garde to stay and supervise the re-build, some want a clean break in the summer. Fine. But what's the point in sacking Garde and bringing in whoever is currently unemployed - and thus available - at this point? Hardly given a free pass.

It's true. It's going to make no real difference. I've said for a long time we should assess in the summer but it's been so bad I think Garde should be let go. 

38 minutes ago, mwj said:

Nope, he said he had final say.

Listen I get it, must be fun for you and Zatman to go over this again just like the last 200 pages but it's boring for me. Do you own **** research.

You seem to ignore when I said I have. There was a transfer committee. I'm not sure how you can disagree with that. 

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It's true. It's going to make no real difference. I've said for a long time we should assess in the summer but it's been so bad I think Garde should be let go. 

And I fail to see the reason why at this point.

Why would you want to spare Garde's feelings? I'm sure he will cope. I believe the only reason he didn't resign when the January window closed is that he's proud/honorable/stubborn enough (you decide which) to want to see out the season, at the very least. As for sparing the Villa supporters' feelings: We're already down. Would Black or (God forbid) KMac be any better for the rest of the season? 

Edited by TB

5 minutes ago, TB said:

And I fail to see the reason why at this point.

Why would you want to spare Garde's feelings? I'm sure he will cope. I believe the only reason he didn't resign when the January window closed is that he's proud/honorable/stubborn enough (you decide which) to want to see out the season, at the very least. As for sparing the Villa supporters' feelings: We're already down. Would Black or (God forbid) KMac be any better for the rest of the season? 

Would they be any worse?

Not sure what Garde's feelings have to do with things. For me the point is I don't like the idea of paying a manager a lot of money and not caring what the results are. 

1 hour ago, mwj said:

Oh yeh the evil transfer committee where poor Tim Sherwood was bullied into signing Jolean Lescott and Micah Richards by a bald fat hobbit, a guy with a spreadsheet and an American...

Did anybody on here think Richards was a bad signing at the time. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I said he wasn't proven as a centre-back. Recall a few others who went further and categorically said he wasn't a centre-back, based on what they had seen at Fiorentina or wherever.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Would they be any worse?

Not sure what Garde's feelings have to do with things. For me the point is I don't like the idea of paying a manager a lot of money and not caring what the results are

Any worse? Black - really couldn't say. KMac? You're joking, right? Given his team selections during his last games in charge?

Not caring what the results are: I guess that you're not saying that Garde doesn't care about the results, but that the club is wasting money on paying Garde his wages if he won't make a difference for the rest of the season. Fair enough. But other managers might think twice about coming to Villa if the last manager arrived in November with the team in an utterly precarious position, not able to bring in anyone at all in January, and then sacked before end of season.

4 minutes ago, TB said:

Any worse? Black - really couldn't say. KMac? You're joking, right? Given his team selections during his last games in charge?

Not caring what the results are: I guess that you're not saying that Garde doesn't care about the results, but that the club is wasting money on paying Garde his wages if he won't make a difference for the rest of the season. Fair enough. But other managers might think twice about coming to Villa if the last manager arrived in November with the team in an utterly precarious position, not able to bring in anyone at all in January, and then sacked before end of season.

K Mac is a disgrace but losing nearly all the time is as bad as it gets. It really couldn't get much worse. 

I think Garde cares, I actually like the guy and think he will go on to probably have a good managerial career. 

I don't think that would effect the level of manager we will be attracting once in the championship. 

I think that as long as Lerner is here any manager would love the managerial position. Poor performance guarantees a couple of million+ for less than a season's work. Win a couple of games and get a new four year deal and a pay increase. 

Win-win situation surely? 

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

K Mac is a disgrace but losing nearly all the time is as bad as it gets. It really couldn't get much worse. 

I think Garde cares, I actually like the guy and think he will go on to probably have a good managerial career. 

I don't think that would effect the level of manager we will be attracting once in the championship. 

I think we're on the same page here, by and large ... and then again, I cannot see anyone on here giving Garde a free pass for the rest of the season. 

33 minutes ago, Isa said:

I said he wasn't proven as a centre-back. Recall a few others who went further and categorically said he wasn't a centre-back, based on what they had seen at Fiorentina or wherever.

I thought he be a better centre half than right back from Fiorentina games I saw last season. Dont know if he was any use at either :P

46 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Something like a total of 22 games over the previous 3 season raised serious doubts in my mind. However I thought he could prove be an okay addition at right back even if he was a disaster in the middle.

I was wrong.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

I guess we'd have to check various threads but I'm fairly sure people were talking about him as our best player until around Oct ?

it maybe that he signed for Sherwood and switched off when Sherwood left , again one to study in the various threads I guess  

edit : pages 50'ish of the Richards thread is when the season kicked off ... All very positive , page 60 is just after Leicester defeat , still very positive , beast , player of the season etc ... Page 70 it's gone to rat shit :)

Edited by tonyh29

Fairly obvious what happened to Richards. He signed to play centre back. Sherwood left. Garde played him there, realised he wasn't good enough, moved him to right back, player attitude kicked in, didn't play as well there as he probably could have, Garde dropped him. 

• Like 1

You seem to ignore when I said I have. There was a transfer committee. I'm not sure how you can disagree with that. 

Do you have trouble reading?

I didn't say there wasn't a transfer committee. I just don't absolve Sherwood of blame as the man with the final decision on transfers.

Lescott - approved

Richards - approved

Sinclair - approved

Gestede - approved

Veretout - approved

Gana - approved

Illori - approved

Crespo - approved

Traore - approved

"I'm not sure how you can disagree with that."

8 hours ago, TB said:

I cannot see anyone on here giving Garde a free pass for the rest of the season. 

That was my point earlier. I don't see this "Free Pass" DCJ is referring to.

Some people have said they'd be ok with Garde being here next season, but everyone who has said that has explained why. I haven't seen anyone say Garde has done a very good job here so I don't really get why DCJ is bothered.

Â