The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

30 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't think anybody was dismissing managers purely because they're British, that's just something you've inferred. People objected to Pearson for example because he's a scumbag, Bruce because he's shit etc etc. Not because they're British.

Exactly

11 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Doug would have probably sold his shirt for a £5 outside before the game.

To an American who would have stitched up a few holes and then thrown it into a cupboard to rot.

• Like 4

Just now, Designer1 said:

To an American who would have stitched up a few holes and then thrown it into a cupboard to rot.

Ooooh. *wipes away a tear*

I was trying to be funny but that wound is too raw...

• Like 1

It's all so depressing. When he took the job, he sort of just radiated a smart calm that I thought would lead the way, but he's sputtered badly. Granted, the players suck and he wasn't given any money, but his job was to instill fight into the team, and that didn't happen. I'll be sorry to see him go, because under better circumstances, I think he'd have done much better, but he's been let down by the board, the players, and maybe himself to a degree. Anyway, at this stage, I can't see him wanting to stay.

• Like 3

but it wasnt the worst team ever when Sherwood was in charge.

Actually, it was. Sherwood's win percentage is bumped by the second half of last year when he had Benteke, Delph etc.

This season (with his own squad) his record is about on par with Garde.

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think what people were objecting to was limiting ourselves to British managers.

If a brit is the best person for the job then brilliant.

But we shouldn't be saying "Right, we're ONLY going for a british manager". That would be silly.

As I've said elsewhere there are still some talented British managers out there....I wouldn't have an issue with Gary Monk for instance. Poor few months at Swansea but did very well overall. Warburton's another one I'd look at, got Brentford playing some fantastic football at championship level and I can't imagine his compensation clause at Rangers would be that much.

1 hour ago, mwj said:

Actually, it was. Sherwood's win percentage is bumped by the second half of last year when he had Benteke, Delph etc.

This season (with his own squad) his record is about on par with Garde.

I think Zatmans point is that people believed the poor performances were down to Sherwood being a shit manager rather than the squad being shit. And now the same squad are shit and it's not really down to the manager. 

• Like 3

I think Zatmans point is that people believed the poor performances were down to Sherwood being a shit manager rather than the squad being shit. And now the same squad are shit and it's not really down to the manager. 

Umm it is Sherwood's squad. ie. It IS down to him being a shit manager. The players didn't magically sign themselves

I'm starting to think all this press gumpf about him being sacked/going is just pure guesswork based on Fox and Almstadt going very recently. Apparently took training today (according to the Brum Mail), which is not something that normally happens when the club are about to pull the trigger. I'm guessing if he isn't gone by tomorrow evening you'll see the journo's doing u-turns, talking about a "Stay of Execution" and his position being reviewed at the end of the season. Just a thought of course...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mwj said:

Umm it is Sherwood's squad. ie. It IS down to him being a shit manager. The players didn't magically sign themselves

No they didn't, we had a transfer committee of which Sherwood was part of it who signed them. But that's ignored the point made again. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

I'm starting to think all this press gumpf about him being sacked/going is just pure guesswork based on Fox and Almstadt going very recently. Apparently took training today (according to the Brum Mail), which is not something that normally happens when the club are about to pull the trigger. I'm guessing if he isn't gone by tomorrow evening you'll see the journo's doing u-turns, talking about a "Stay of Execution" and his position being reviewed at the end of the season. Just a thought of course...

Yep, it doesn't look like the sacking is soon. I'm not sure how many more games is acceptable to lose. 

28 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

In 10 years, looking at their respective careers IMO only one of Sherwood and Garde will have actually had a managerial career, and that won't be Sherwood. Garde's record with this squad is mitigated by the total mindfudging they received losing every week under Sherwood. As I've said before, they tend to start games looking organised and almost like a football team, then there is a mistake and we either get humped or not depending on the opposition. That woudl suggest that during the week the right sort of work is happening, but this lot just cannot handle any kind of setback after being beaten so often, as a group they are shot, and they were when Garde arrived IMO. Sherwood on the other hand did not have this burden, there was lots of optimism around right up to the West Brom game for me. He'd already lost the plot by then though and the damage just got worse and worse.

It's like comparing lap times in the "same" car, but driver one smashes the shit out of it before handing it over to driver 2.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

As I've said elsewhere there are still some talented British managers out there....I wouldn't have an issue with Gary Monk for instance. Poor few months at Swansea but did very well overall. Warburton's another one I'd look at, got Brentford playing some fantastic football at championship level and I can't imagine his compensation clause at Rangers would be that much.

I agree. Again the point wasn't that it would be wrong to get a British Manager. Just that ignoring all other managers who aren't British would be wrong.

If Mourinho was knocking on the door you wouldn't ignore him because he wasn't British, is my point.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Yep, it doesn't look like the sacking is soon. I'm not sure how many more games is acceptable to lose. 

Totally not the point, right now for all I care we can lose every week. The important thing is what happens in the summer. 

Just now, romavillan said:

Totally not the point, right now for all I care we can lose every week. The important thing is what happens in the summer. 

I just do not get this free pass some are willing to give. I've never known anything like it. 

• Like 1

Â