The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Can anyone who is supportive of Garde explain to me what they have seen in him since appointment that makes you think he could get us promoted back up next season as there is very little I can pinpoint from his tenure so far.

Keep Remi, he has instilled shape and movement into the side and actually got us trying to play football.  We cannot keep sacking Managers based on poor attitude of players.

we were the better side against Swansea, but lost due to lack of quality striker and goalkeeper.  The two things Remi tried to fix in January!

another manager is not the answer

I want to believe this, because I've been a supporter of Remi and what he's tried to achieve. But I feel that he should still have gotten more from the players and time he's been in charge.

If he thinks the players aren't willing to put in the effort, he should work out the combination of players to drop and replace to fix it. Coupled with that, he should be trying to instil the right mentality and drive into them.

I agree he's been dealt a poor hand, but I'm struggling to believe that every other manager would have picked up so few points in the time he's been here.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Can anyone who is supportive of Garde explain to me what they have seen in him since appointment that makes you think he could get us promoted back up next season as there is very little I can pinpoint from his tenure so far.

For me it was the period between Cissokho coming back from loan up until the Liverpool drubbing that suggested he was on the right track.  We became much harder to beat, and that was with just one player being re-added to the squad.  Not only the results improved but I thought our general level of play had improved, along with the performances of the likes of Ayew, Okore and Veretout.  If only we had a goalscorer brought in in January, I think we'd have got more points.

i think he was hamstrung by Ayew getting himself sent off meaning that we were without any attacking threat and Okore saying what he did in the press on the eve of the Liverpool match, before he and the defence gave one of the worst performances I have ever seen.  Since then something has gone very wrong, I genuinely think he has lost the dressing room and maybe he has given up.  If he has done, then it's probably right he goes, but then I'd rather most of the dressing room went first as the next manager is just going to struggle as much.

I think he has enough about him to build something if given the resources.

Edited by sharkyvilla
  • Like 3

When Garde was appointed I think the majority of people looked at it as a positive. For me the main reason for this is that he is progressive, intelligent manager and had proved that at Lyon. Remember this is a team a mainstay in the top 5 and competing in Europe. A credential of manager we will no longer be able to attract. We're seemingly stuck in the dark ages with players unwilling to budge and we need to be dragged out of it. Bournemouth are a fine example and there are many more this season whilst we are being left behind. Garde is keeping a close eye on the Under 21s with Green, Lydan etc. getting game time and this is I think is a high priority for a bright future. This has been a problem for a while with players reaching the Under 21s then hitting a brick wall. I don't blame Garde. Obviously he is not blameless but with his impending sacking my anger is towards the players. The attitude and unwillingness to apply themselves for me is unforgivable. They have revolted against Garde and in doing so relegated us. This angers me. Sources have that he has found it difficult to translate the importance of keeping Aston Villa F.C in the league!!!!! If that is difficult for them to digest I don't want them to wear the shirt again. But anyway well done lads. It looks like you have got your way and got us relegated whilst proving your point. Good luck to the next manager because Sherwood used the pal method and it didn't take long until other obstacles arose. Remember them complaining about it being difficult to play at Villa Park because of the fans? We will be back at square one and the same problem will arise down the line. A quick fix is not the solution to our problems. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Whilst I agree that Remi should have done more, I think there are advantages to keeping him.

The main one being he's been here for a while now. I believe he's a good enough manager to know how he wants this team to play, who will play for him, what he needs to get us to play how he wants us to play, who he can sell etc etc, even if he hasn't been able to have much effect so far.

Whatever he's tried to get from this team hasn't worked. I'd argue that's MORE down to the squad he was left with and the state it was in than his ability, but again I acknowledge that it's hard to argue he's done as well as any of us hoped he would.

If we get a new guy in in the summer, then we're back to square one. Same shitty squad being handed over and he has to decide on the clearout. I think there are huge risks in that. Obviously there are managers who will do a good job, but there's also a shit load who could get it very wrong.

Like I've said previously, I honestly don't know if I want Garde here next year. Part of me does, and thinks he could be a success, but again that's a gamble because it's all based on the hunch that once he gets a few of his own players he'll be able to implement his style on the team.

I pretty much agree with this, except to add that there can be no complaints if he is sacked. Results have not been good enough despite the extenuating circumstances, but then 20 games under these circumstances is a relatively short length of rope. 

Either way I still have very little faith that our moron custodian will provide anything like the support any manager will need to turn this ship around. There changes at board level are welcome, but alone they are not nearly enough. At the very least I expect them to make a wiser appointment than Fox might have and the changes may assist in us attracting the "right" man, but it will be academic should the cost cutting continue at the expected rate. 

Apologies if that sounds like I have an agenda, but it's the cold truth to my mind. I am deeply concerned. 

2 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

What is a progressive manager?

Favouring reform as opposed to wishing things to maintain the same. He has tried to up the ante in training to work on fitness. He has worked with and shown an awareness of the youth system. He even sent Gabby off to Dubai. Incidentally when we had an upturn in form. Maybe a coincidence. He has tried to implement a style of play we could build on in the future. Also worth remembering he hasn't had the opportunity to ship out the troublesome players in the dressing room. However I'm not stupid it is a result business and if the players aren't willing to move with this he will fall on his sword. I don't blame him entirely for that though. 

• Like 1

He did make us harder to beat, and results were improving - but once this squad decided that it wasn't going to fight anymore, or stupid individual errors cost us games, then we were going down regardless. 

All this without a premier league standard striker or goalkeeper.

He should be given this summer to build his team. 

Villa.jpg

29 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I pretty much agree with this, except to add that there can be no complaints if he is sacked. Results have not been good enough despite the extenuating circumstances, but then 20 games under these circumstances is a relatively short length of rope. 

I agree. I'd have no complaints if he was sacked.

But, as I've expressed elsewhere, the baby and bathwater analogy comes to mind, and I hope we're not just blindly sacking everyone involved with this season without properly assessing whether anything can be salvaged from this mess.

Remi Garde MIGHT be one of those things. Emphasis on might, because again I honestly don't know if he is or not. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Well reputable twitter site saying Garde's left for France, an may be gone already. Not saying its 100% but watch this space.

He went back to France after the game and gave the guys a day off. Back in the country today though, supposedly for talks with Hollis.

• Like 1

My opinion is that Garde could have done more... But i don't mind at all if he stays.

The pressure to get fast results whilst learning about the few strengths but many weaknesses both ability wise and most definitely mentally wise with some of the half wits in the squad has proven a step too far. As we all know he was also shafted royally by the Board (& stupid red tape at the FA)  in the transfer window.

For me overall he has done as well as could be expected from any manager under such ridiculous circumstances. Half the team including Gana, Veretout, Ayew, Richards, Traore & Amavi are new to the Premier League or in Richards' case was playing as a regular CB for the 1st time in this division. Well it's surely common knowledge that most players from overseas can take 12 to 18 months to fully adapt and settle in a new culture. It's the exception really when one comes over and instantly hits top form. So for me having so many new players who even now are still in all likelihood not fully adjusted, coupled with no available strikers of Premier League quality and 2 dodgy keepers (which Remi was indeed trying to rectify only to be shafted by FA red tape) is the reason why the season has been a disaster.

It is essential in this division to have a good goal scorer and keeper.. we have neither!! As a result no matter how good the bit in between is matters little. Remi can only affect the bit inbetween... the bit which carries the ball from defence to attack and creates chances but if the Strikers are crap, which they are most definitely, and the keeper makes stupid howlers, which they do repeatedly and you have absolutely nobody to replace them with then what exactly are you supposed to do?

I do however think he could & should have given some of the youngsters more of a go as we lack that naive energy in the team..but at the same time you can see why he would have felt the need to protect them from the bad attitude in the first team.

So i wouldn't mind seeing Remi given the chance to build his own team tbh although i suspect it's all academic now and he'll be gone!

• Like 1

Â