The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

I wouldn't be opposed to Simon Grayson actually, done a decent job at Blackpool and Leeds, was ok but not great at Huddersfield and doing a good job at Preston. Solid, stable, sensible.

98qOF6f.gif

39 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I would be amazed if Moyes was interested in managing a championship club,

That is a short-term view, OK, but there is still massive potential here. As a football club we aint that dissimilar to an Everton in terms of infrastructure, history, facilities, fan base - of course we are terrible on the pitch right now but if he was given the backing and support he needed we could be a good fit.  Lets say he was here 3 years. I wouldn't be surprised if we were at mid-table in the prem again (I am being optimistic OK).  IF he believes he can make that happen I can't think of many better places for him to be honest, I still think we're a great club. The critical issue will be if he trusts the board and 'you know who' to provide the financial backing he needs, especially given what happened with Remi over January.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2

Am I the only one who would prefer Bruce over Pearson ? 

Don't get me wrong neither would be my first choice.

Finally are we going to make the same mistake for the forth time in a row by appointing a manager without there first choice coaching team?

It's so crucial.

14 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Wouldn't you rather someone who had ALREADY proven something ?   We can't keep being a test bed for people.

Of course, talented, with a track record that backs that up, and hungry.  We need all those things.

3 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

That is a short-term view, OK, but there is still massive potential here. As a football club we aint that dissimilar to an Everton in terms of infrastructure, history, facilities, fan base - of course we are terrible on the pitch right now but if he was given the backing and support he needed we could be a good fit.  Lets say he was here 3 years. I wouldn't be surprised if we were at mid-table in the prem again (I am been optimistic).  IF he believes he can make that happen I can't think of many better places for him to be honest, I still think we are a great club. The critical issue will be if he trusts the board and 'you know who' to provide the financial backing he needs, especially given what happened with Remi over January.

I agree with this. We are still a huge draw. If we are to have any chance of attracting the likes of Moyes though we have to get things right above the manager.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mwj said:

And 2 relegations along with a couple of sackings. Not exactly a world beater.

I never said he was.....not my first choice for this job.

But then I have a feeling Steve Clarke would be a good fit for us next season so you can all have a good chuckle at that opinion!

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/20/aston-villa-remie-garde-reign-swift-end?

Aston Villa are expected to call time on Remi Garde’s troubled and brief reign as manager in the next few days as the Midlands club begin the task of preparing for life in the Championship. Garde has cut a forlorn figure for weeks and it was anticipated he would depart in the summer but a new-look Villa board are ready to accelerate their plans and sack the Frenchman after accepting there is nothing to be gained by going through the motions until the end of the season.

Garde has won only two of his 20 Premier League games in charge since replacing Tim Sherwood at the start of November and feels badly let down by the club’s failure to back him in the January transfer window, when Villa failed to make a single signing.

From that moment on Garde felt that it was a matter of time before he would be out of a job and it is believed that he conveyed that message to Tom Fox, who resigned from his post as chief executive officer on Thursday only 48 hours after Hendrik Almstadt departed as sporting director as part of major changes at the Premier League’s bottom club.

Steve Hollis, Villa’s new chairman, chose his words carefully when asked about Garde’s future at Bodymoor Heath, the club’s training ground, on Friday and was not prepared to give any guarantees that the former Lyon manager would be kept on and given the job of trying to win promotion from the Championship next season.

Working closely with David Bernstein and Mervyn King, two recent additions to the Villa board, Hollis is conducting a thorough investigation into all aspects of the way the club has been operating. It has not taken them long, however, to realise that Garde looks and sounds like a broken man.

It is understood that Garde’s relationship with Randy Lerner, the Villa owner, has regressed to the point that the two barely communicate and things do not seem much better with some of the players. Garde strayed into dangerous territory when he publicly questioned his players commitment last month, even if there was substance to his comments.

Federico Fernández scored the only goal to give Swansea victory over Aston Villa 

Read more

Although the possibility of turning to Steve Bruce has been discussed, Villa will not make a permanent appointment until the summer, with Kevin MacDonald and Eric Black the most likely candidates for a caretaker role.

Nigel Pearson, the former Leicester City manager, is the leading contender for the post and is likely to be interested in the position.

Bruce has a track record of winning promotion from the Championship but his previous employment at Birmingham City, Villa’s bitter rivals, means that the board would run the risk of antagonising an already angry fanbase.

Pearson, on the other hand, is available and demonstrated at Leicester that he can rebuild a former Premier League club that had badly lost its way.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

Stands out to everyone that we need seismic change nicely, nicely got us  2 wins in 20  most of these players will  be here for a couple of years to come and left to a social worker type of manager will bleed the system. Why not make them suffer for that time and actually do the job they are supposed to do, train them to sweat take up their day with football and cut all the perks that come with their lifestyle . Tough guy will do for the moment this club is rotten to the core and needs someone to take a stand, weak gets you walked on .

Just now, Villa101 said:

Good luck Remi! Baffling why he took the job really, he had a decent reputation and it's been obvious to anyone we were getting relegated since August!!

Money....a short lived job to a bumper pay day.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

He couldn't be further away from it, as people have explained time and again.

perhaps their explanations have fallen on deaf ears and judging by the same people backing Garde on his appointment,maybe its time for them to think again.

They say its a results business and the 2 managers have not had a too dissimilar record.....but the vitriol towards the one and the support towards the other, can surely only be personalities.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Yeah what we need is a strong man to take the helm, someone who tells it like it is and isn't afraid of this PC bullshit, someone to reestablish some proper values and gets his players to work their bollocks off by scaring the beejezus out of them. That's leadership.

We need a balance, the mild, meek and ultimately tepid Garde isn't the answer, that much I know. 

• Like 2

Just now, TRO said:

perhaps their explanations have fallen on deaf ears and judging by the same people backing Garde on his appointment,maybe its time for them to think again.

They say its a results business and the 2 managers have not had a too dissimilar record.....but the vitriol towards the one and the support towards the other, can surely only be personalities.

People have explained time and again that they see more in Garde than Sherwood, because there have been improvements, however small, in our play. It's more than personalities - nobody is that stupid, everyone would be delighted if we had the best manager on the planet even if they happened to be a complete tosser.

Now you can reject that, as no doubt you will because he isn't Ron **** Saunders, but have some more respect for your fellow fan to spout this bollocks that Garde is only liked because he seems nice or isn't Tim bastard Sherwood.

Garde won't be here much longer whether he's sacked or walks so it won't matter shortly, but for pities same can we cut the bollocks?

• Like 2

If we sign either Bruce or Pearson I will be disgusted and find it impossible to support a team led by either of them. Villa have made so many **** ups in the last six years, that the last thing we need is ****** Bruce or Pearson who will immediately divide the fans! We need a fresh start, not old spudface or a psycho!

There is no point in backing Garde anymore. He has been a dead man walking for weeks.

But FFS, Villa don't screw it up again by hiring another manager that will be hated as much as McLeish or another whose reputation imho is far from positive. I just hope that all the paper talk is just lazy journalism. 

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 2

Â