The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Just now, DCJonah said:

Lambert was taking us down. We'd be playing championship football this season if he hadn't of gone. 

That is quite possible, probable even. I would still love to be able to see what would have happened that season had Lambert stayed on and got the benefit of Benteke returning from injury.

I suspect Benteke might have been the reason we stayed up more than the change of manager. We were always a one man team and Lambert had managed to steer us clear of the drop in the previous seasons from precarious positions. 

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Yes I agree it is too early to make a proper judgement on Garde but I would have hoped he could have managed a win by now and some of his selections have been head scratchers. 

The one point I will make about Lambert is that whilst he did have a better squad, it was a squad he built himself on a budget much smaller than what Sherwood was allowed to spend. It  is true Lambert had lost his way with us by the end but he kept us up each season and that is not something we are going to be able to say for Garde. 

Agree, although I'd say the squad Lambert inherited was also better....Collins has remained a Premier League defender even now, Hutton also, and we had other players who were no worse than we we got next.

Of course we've needed wins, and I'd agree he seems to be getting more, not less, cautious, which is too much. But it has felt that a win would've helped so much....he needed an early win or r two.

As for some baffling selections, having seen them all do it I can only surmisebthat they have each tried to juggle a poor pack as best they can. We only have a few decent players, its not enough !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

That is quite possible, probable even. I would still love to be able to see what would have happened that season had Lambert stayed on and got the benefit of Benteke returning from injury.

I suspect Benteke might have been the reason we stayed up more than the change of manager. We were always a one man team and Lambert had managed to steer us clear of the drop in the previous seasons from precarious positions. 

Benteke still managed plenty of blank matchdays under Lambert, so who knows.

so when someone is being defended its only fair the facts are presented in a balanced manner.

• Like 1

Went to the game on Saturday Vs Wet Spam, and i was absolutely gobsmacked he waited till 80th min (83rd i believe by the time he got on) to bring on Adama.

Getting the win on Sat would have changed the whole culture of our season, would have been the spring board for giving it a right good got, wet spam had settled for a draw, and were sitting back, i really truly believe he dropped the ball in that moment. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but grealish and adama at 70 mins when the crowd were absolutely giving the team pelters to get forward and win the game would have been a better option, even if wed have lost, you have to take the chance, and i think he made the wrong decision and it cost us big time.

• Like 1

I've seen very little from Garde to show he's the right man for the job, he's done a tiny bit better than Sherwood I suppose, maybe...but 8 games or however many it is and still no win, shows something can't be right.

Under Sherwood we were poor, but there were games, Leciester especially, where we looked half decent.

Under Garde, we've looked pathetic in the main part...sure we looked OK 2nd half against Newcastle, we matched a West Ham without most of their best players and we kept a misfiring Man City at bay, but honestly, have we really improved at all? My feeing is we've gone backwards and are now under a manager who seems too cautious and is yet to provide much evidence that he will see our his contract with us before being shown the door.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We were getting worse and worse under Lambert. Benteke made a difference but he needed to go.

I agree

but I Think LL was denying TS having the glory for getting the best out of Benteke, saying Lambert would probably have had that benefit if he was there ( I think he was being devils advocate) but it is hypothetical and it could have happened....but I said Benteke did have some non scoring days under Lambert ,so who knows what might have happened if Lambert had been given until the end of that season.....I though we were certs for the drop.....like I do now.

Baring the cavalry coming in in January, but can't see it.

12 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

He was fit wasn't he and Lambert dropped him to the bench and tried to sign Lambert from Liverpool. Lambert never played to Benteke's strengths, Sherwood did so he deserves credit for that at least.

11 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Agree, although I'd say the squad Lambert inherited was also better....Collins has remained a Premier League defender even now, Hutton also, and we had other players who were no worse than we we got next.

Of course we've needed wins, and I'd agree he seems to be getting more, not less, cautious, which is too much. But it has felt that a win would've helped so much....he needed an early win or r two.

As for some baffling selections, having seen them all do it I can only surmisebthat they have each tried to juggle a poor pack as best they can. We only have a few decent players, its not enough !

Terry,

When I look back and see some of the players that go, who I thought were not good enough and now we have worse( In terms of being effective in this league).....I feel such an idiot.

I'm still clutching to the hope that its the canteen lady at Bodymoor thats the problem and that when the problem is found it will all turn out ok.....just kidding.

I still can't quite believe the silence that comes out of this club......Do they really know what they have managed to **** up.

I am still of the opinion they don't.

If people think any manager out there would have done any better with numptys like Clark, Richardson, Guzuan, they need their heads looking at.

We are bottom because we are absolutely dreadful-No manager in the world would have done any better, given thr dross we have at the club.

The finger of blame points firmly at the owner-I'd write about his poor running of the club but whats the point? He doesn't care-He just wants his money back

3 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Screen Shot 2015-12-28 at 21.29.46.png

200_s.gif

4 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Screen Shot 2015-12-28 at 21.29.46.png

200_s.gif

Sorry chap, but at this moment in time, its about the players not the manager. There is no fight, an no quality. You need a certain quality to compete in the this league, an unfortunately this team don't have it.

Also I have to agree with some that the silence coming out of the club at the moment, is defening, to the point where some are thinking is relegation where they want to go. maybe they want the complete rebuild of AVFC, from the ground up.

So, to sum this up.... Lambert was taking us down.  (clearly likely if not certain)  Sherwood was taking us down.  (clearly to me at least)  Under Garde we are going down, but he has had less chance to make an impact so he's the least to blame.  When I watch us play, I'm cursing under my breath or aloud at one STUPID play after another.  It seems likely that it's the same problem at upper levels.  One STUPID decision after another is costing us the premiership.  it's like a death by a thousand cuts.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, useless said:

If Garde had have been here at the start of the season we wouldn't be in the position we find ourselves in now.

.....are you really sure of that.

I happen to think if Jose Mourinho had of been here from the start of the season, it would be not much different....maybe a few points here and there.

Lambert's already getting a kicking from Blackburn fans I see (they were all so giddy when he was appointed). Somehow lost to Bolton and can't score, sounds familiar.

Lambert to me was miles worse than Sherwood, he brought some proper embarrassment to this club on a regular basis Didn't help his reign seemed to go on forever, at least Sherwood was put out of his misery relatively quickly. 

Edit: 4 games without a goal for Blackburn and that's with Rhodes upfront.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

You could put a monkey in charge for 18 games and they would find a win from somewhere. We're relegated, no doubt about it but **** me, we cant even fluke a win.

A league one side might have managed a win in this period. This is what worries me about next year if we go into it playing the same old failures.

Â