The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

No. I don't buy that. The last 4 seasons we have failed to build anything, with managers with any vision or principles. I am probably in a minority but I think Remi is the one to build us something and relegation is the only way for him to have the time to build it. We will improve as the season goes on but at this moment we will be relegated.

I don't know who is the right manager.....but I will start to form my opinion when i see who Remi Buys and for what reason.

IMO we have bought too many players just based on their availability alone rather than planning for the positions we need to fill we need a structure and players need to fit in to that structure.

I don't know if it will work out for him, but we do need some stability and improvement that has sustainability.....I fear we have got so bad, that shortly, the need for results will be replaced by the need to improve and target the future.....then we may see something materialise.

2 hours ago, Hanky said:

My assessment is we were piss poor under Sherwood and we've been piss poor under Garde.

And before that we were piss poor under Lambert and before that under McLeish, and before that under Houllier.

At some point we as fans have to stop blaming the Managers ! If not this time, next time ?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Presumeably, the same thing that 7 losses in a row says about Sherwood right Jim? And you wanted to keep him. 

True.

Tim's inexperience showed when he had a virtually new squad to settle in and was his downfall. I don't see Garde as any improvement though, IIRC we lost all bar one game this season by the odd goal and the majority of those down to individual errors, something Tim got pelters for yet is an excuse for Garde.

I doubt Tim would have done any worse in these last 8 games especially as players were starting to settle into the new league. At least we may have gone down with a fight rather than waving the white flag in surrender under Remi.

• Like 1

My assessment is we were piss poor under Sherwood and we've been piss poor under Garde.

And before that we were piss poor under Lambert and before that under McLeish, and before that under Houllier.

At some point we as fans have to stop blaming the Managers ! If not this time, next time ?

No doubt this stems from the top. Equally I've had enough of watching Richardson, Sinclair, Clark et al. play. Rather watch some if the youth than this mob.

• Like 1

Tim wasn't improving though. 

We were getting worse and worse. 

Under Garde there was definite improvement until today (however small) but even though his hand was forced with injuries/fixtures in quick succession, playing Richardson was stupid and Sinclair urghhhh

This is where I am also. Tim seemed to grasping as straws, drawing lineups from a hat. With Remi, I could see progress in small ways up until today. My best guess is that he felt we needed rotation given two games in three days. Probably overthought it.

• Like 1

When Remi Came in I wasn't expecting much, because I didn't believe like some, it was all the managers fault.

I wasn't expecting too much from Sherwood either, I was certainly not expecting to stay up. The cup semi final was certainly something I did not expect, but conversely after that I did not expect to see  a " towel thrown in" so early in a cup final.....talk about losing with a whimper.....so it was all very mixed.

This is going to be a long haul and at present I still do not see the corner turning yet.....how quick we improve will depend on how quick we find the right players with the right ingredients.

When I see us winning individual duels and battles on a reasonably consistent basis during a match, I will then be sure the goals will soon be arriving.

We need characters and talismen.....before all the improvisation and showboating, Europe is full of them, but not the former type, you have to search for them and do your homework.

Managers need players.

no disrespect to Ranieri ( I do think he is a decent manager and well experienced) but it was essentially Pearsons team....and he did sign the right characters.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I could've understood Richardson as Left Back crap though he is, and Bacuna either replacing Hutton or giving him cover.

But I have to say picking Richardson in midfield ahead of the three attacking guys on the bench was baffling, and was negative.

I can understand caution, but agree that was a step too far and we got pretty much what we deserved.

Having said that, we were doing OK till they scored. Instill think for all our weaknesses going forward we will get nothing until we get a keeper....basically any shot the opposition have results in a goal.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The problem is that he's not a particularly good manager, good managers tend to go into situations and get some sort of response from the players, the players really haven't responded to him at all, then his tactics and decision making during matches leaves a lot to be desired. 

To be honest, he's just another McLeish, very similar philosophy/approach, similar tactics and similar inability to make good decisions when we're losing. 

He might eventually get it right, but it will be all too late, so on that basis he's a poor appointment. I'm also not so convinced he'll be the man to take us straight back up next season.

It's getting to the stage I would be delighted to have TSM back, 4 home wins and all, if we can come 16th again. At least he made us hard to beat. True gouging your eyes with a rusty spoon would give you more aesthetic pleasure but at least we wouldn't be the league's comedy club hurtling towards Palookaville.

Edited by The Fun Factory

20 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Tim wasn't improving though. 

We were getting worse and worse. 

Under Garde there was definite improvement until today (however small) but even though his hand was forced with injuries/fixtures in quick succession, playing Richardson was stupid and Sinclair urghhhh

Sorry Stefan but I can't see the improvement. He's adopted a more cautious approach and we're still only picking up the odd point here and there. Norwich are possibly the 2nd or 3rd worst team in the division behind ourselves and how does he approach the game.! 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm massively disappointed in Garde. He's not at all what I expected. But changing him will do nothing. We might as well see how we finish and what next year may look like. 

This. He has disappointed me so far because of his negative approach. We still haven't won under Garde despite some easier fixtures. That being said the squad is nowhere near good enough and I doubt anyone else would be able to keep us up. For that reason he deserves a chance to build something here

Irrespective of all the bitching, we are stuck with Garde until at least 2017 unless he doesn't win a match between now and the end of the season, so we should get over it and get behind him.

The reality of the situation is the slow death over the past 4 seasons. The under investment could only end here, we bought Sinclair, Richardson etc as squad players and now they are first teamers because we have no choice. The Bacuna's and Westwoods are now the 'A-Team' players and not because of ability but because the standard is now so low - losing Vlaar, Cleverly, Delph and Benteke has killed us, they were the difference between 16th and the Championship. We are shite. We need at least 6 PL players of about £20m each to stand a chance and it isn't going to happen. 

Grade needs a season to establish his culture and methods, but also sign his players. Its all too much too soon (or too little too late), we were fock'd before we kicked a ball this season and its no good lambasting Garde, I can see an improvement, but he has to deal with complete turds so what do we expect?

Edited by thunderball

Â