The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

6 minutes ago, DK82 said:

People screaming that we should be getting Sherwood back as he would play the right players?

I haven't read, but people aren't actually saying that are they?

I've heard some non villa fand pass a few throw away comments about this, but surely no villa fans are asking for this...

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

8 games without a win, has to be worst Villa managerial start in history

playing Sinclair and Richardson in a must win game was a disgrace. 2 worst players in Villa history in such a big game

It possibly is the worst start. But then again it's probably also the worst team/squad that a new villa manager has had to work with in history. 

30 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We didn't score a goal. So while we may not have lost with different defenders, it was unlikely we were going to win. And so far that's the kind of negative approach we've seen. If you think Richardson was positive and a threat then its no wonder you disagree. But you're watching a different player to me. You may think we set out to win, but I'd disagree it was the best way to try and achieve that. At best we were getting another draw but its resulted in a loss. 

Adama was much more positive than Sinclair but also what's he going to do with 30 minutes in a game we are once again chasing.

Not specifically aiming the Pearson comment at you. I just think, if we'd hired a manager people didn't want, they'd be getting hammered for the approach and results Garde has shown.

Richardson had a good game by his standards, and while ultimately not good enough, in the grand scheme of things the difference between him and another attacker would ultimately not be enough to change our result. That's why I think it's a bit of a moot point for now.

Also, you may disagree with his methodology but that doesn't mean he was being negative. Negative is playing 5 defenders at home to Stoke and still losing while being dominated. Not playing well and dominating the other team however unfruitful, but being undone by an awful defence. You may not have liked Sinclair and Richardson starting, but if he had started 2 different players and the game proceeded to play out the same way (which is likely), was he being any more or less negative? No.

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

I've heard some non villa fand pass a few throw away comments about this, but surely no villa fans are asking for this...

It's in this thread.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Neil said:

This thread. 

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Agree I don't understand the "negative" comments. We certainly weren't negative against West Ham or Newcastle.

Our best stuff comes when we're losing, we're very reactionary. We didn't play at all until we were losing against Newcastle, same in the Watford game. West Ham was more even and then we stepped it up a lot more in the second half. Yesterday was simply ridiculous, everything from the selection to the performance. 

I get the feeling that Garde is sending us out there not to get beat rather than to win, in not too dissimilar way to the way McLeish set us up. 

• Like 1

Looking at the heat maps of players yesterday showed the negativity of the team selection. Westwood and Gana pretty much occupied the same position, Richardson and Bacuna the same, veretout was furthest forward with Hutton the next, Norwich offered very little barring Brady and Redmond, but we just didn't set up to beat them, simple!.

As for the Adama V Sinclair the stats show Adama done more in 30 minutes then Sinclair did in 60, not saying he should start or is the saviour but half time was the time to introduce him and possibly Gestede, I can't fathom why we didn't change it early and try and get back in the game.

As others have said I don't think the back four/goalie were the problem yesterday, if we had taken an early chance we would have won that comfortably, but to do that you need the players on the pitch to do it and we didn't, regardless of whether Grealish, Gestede, Gill or Adama are decent or half decent they are attacking players and without them we only have Ayew to rely on to pull something out the hat, that is down to the manager, no one else ( and not some contract conspiracy theory). I have no doubt if Garde has his own team then things would be rosy, but he was chosen without the chance of that which is looking like another bad decision, we needed a manager who could work with what we have, more of a motivator than tactical genius, just one without an stupidly enlarged EGO, some with a reputation the players have to look up to.

14 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

"Play Adama earlier than the 80th minute!!! He needs 30-45 minutes at least!!"

Adama plays 30 minutes..

"Well what CAN Adama do when we're chasing the game and he only has 30 minutes?!!!"

.... Presumably "Play Adama from the start" is the next request?

.... Much like "Play Gil!!" and "Play Grealish" before that :)

Some people don't seem to realise that these players aren't the saviours that they're imagined to be. They're good, they're raw, and whether you like it or not, they're being played by a manager who sees them a damn sight more than we do.

Adama was much more positive than Sinclair and actually put some balls into the box, so on that basis he needs to play ahead of Sinclair, who, did **** all other than win a couple of freekicks. 

Playing Sinclair, Richardson and Clark had no merit to it whatsoever. In fact, when the line up came out I was utterly puzzled (my opinion of course). I just don't know what Garde sees in some of these players at all.

That's not me saying that the lot on the bench are saviours, but I've seen more of them to suggest they are better options depending on how we're set up. My one plea is play with some wide players whoever that may be. We haven't done it at home for years.

28 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

"Play Adama earlier than the 80th minute!!! He needs 30-45 minutes at least!!"

Adama plays 30 minutes..

"Well what CAN Adama do when we're chasing the game and he only has 30 minutes?!!!"

.... Presumably "Play Adama from the start" is the next request?

.... Much like "Play Gil!!" and "Play Grealish" before that :)

Some people don't seem to realise that these players aren't the saviours that they're imagined to be. They're good, they're raw, and whether you like it or not, they're being played by a manager who sees them a damn sight more than we do.

Adama isn't going to change to game on his own in 30 minutes. No player we have is. But he certainly did more than the players the manager selected to start. So yes I'd like to see what he could offer over 90 minutes, we've one one game all season. 

I don't think anyone thinks these players are going to save us but they're certainly got the potential to improve us and while we have 4 points from 8 games its probably a decent idea to give those opportunities to players who can have a positive effect on the team. 

Mcleish, Sherwood and Lambert saw players more than the fans. Does that make their decisions the right ones all of the time? 

31 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah, focusing on the addition or omission of 1 or 2 players is well wide of the mark imo. Our major problems are our defence, fragile confidence, and lack of any sort of mental fortitude, probably in that order.

Yeah because our goal scoring has been superb.

18 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Adama was much more positive than Sinclair and actually put some balls into the box, so on that basis he needs to play ahead of Sinclair, who, did **** all other than win a couple of freekicks. 

Don't be daft. We didn't score in 30 mins so clearly it was right to start Sinclair and Richardson. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bobzy said:

First part, I'm worried if Adama can't impact a game against tiring defenders for 30 minutes.  He got longer on the pitch for once and showed... well, nothing.

Second part, I don't really understand what has been wrong with Garde's approach.  He's still trying to find a side (he's been here 7 games, maybe?).  Richardson may not have been the right call on left wing without playing Gestede, but he's the only(?) player in our squad with a natural left-foot outside of Gil - who our fans lambast for having "no pace".  It didn't lead to a win, but it's not exactly a mind-boggling decision.

Against West Ham, he started with 2 up front.  He's quite obviously setting us up to have a go at teams and win games.  To say he's being negative is ridiculous.  However, the simple fact remains that we haven't won under Garde and we're already 3 games into our "easy" run.

We seem to have the disastrous combination of individual defensive errors alongside an absolutely toothless attack.  How on Earth are we meant to survive? :(

Adama did more in 30 mins than those selected ahead of him. He did more in 5 mins against arsenal than those selected ahead of him. He did more in 20 mins against palace than those selected ahead of him.

Second part, you've just defended Richardson as an attacking player in a game we lost 2-0 to a shit team. Amazing. 

Against west ham he started with 2 upfront and 4 central midfield players with little creativity or width behind them. We played well but one attacking change was forced on him and the other came with 5 mins to go. 

It's obvious he's setting us up to win and have a go at teams? In your head maybe. West ham is the only game we've had a go at a team from the very start. It's very Mcleish/Lambert like with a let's not try and lose first approach. It's resulted in pretty much the same points as we managed before he arrived. 

We're not going to survive because like you say we make too many defensive errors. So to me it makes sense to compensate that by putting out a team that has the best chance of scoring goals.

Adama's issue his is movement off the ball , when he has it he is great he will run all day at the full back but he just stands around and waits for it , he doesn't move into space.

That said I'd rather that then the powderpuff performance  we got from Sinclair yesterday who spent the game bar the first 10 mins running into trouble or being pushed off the ball.

Gil and Grealish are also too lightweight so add them to Westwood/Sinclair and its obvious why they don't start.It's a fundamental issue with the team lack of physical strength which is why we miss Sanchez even though he can be careless on the ball

Â