The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

I'd cut Garde a bit of slack if he wasn't picking the same old rubbish game after game. Sinclair and Richardson have been bloody awful for the majority of the season, as has Ciaran Clark. Yet some how they are still getting in the side.

Bit of width at home", maybe try a bit more attacking teams (traore and Grealish on wings etc). If we were then still crap (which is entirely possible), then it's a bit easier to give him the benefit of the doubt, but today's selection was as bad as anything under previous management.

• Like 3

I still think Garde could be a decent coach for us but is probably at the wrong time. He should have come at the start of the season. Ironically what we probably need now is a sh*t or bust, go down fighting type a manager- ie a better version of tactics tim. But we have made the choice and have to stick with him. Too late now for this season- have to plan for the championship right now.

1 minute ago, Hanky said:

Bit of width at home", maybe try a bit more attacking teams (traore and Grealish on wings etc). If we were then still crap (which is entirely possible), then it's a bit easier to give him the benefit of the doubt, but today's selection was as bad as anything under previous management.

But managers can only select from the squad that they have. Remi has not yet had a window. I am as frustrated as anyone, but I believe that Remi can change the squad in at least two windows. I honestly do not think it will save us, but I am quite confident by the time we drop, we will be playing like a mid table team. Remi will get us back.

I think he's fairly fortunate to have so much slack.

In the 11 games before Garde we had 4 points. 

In the 11 games before Sherwood we had 6 points. 

In the 8 games under Garde we have 4 points. 

In the first 8 games under Sherwood we had 10 points. 

Neither manager had anything to do with the squad they inherited. Both managers came into a club playing awful and getting shit results. Yet Sherwood got loads of grief while winning games and getting points. I think Garde is fairly fortunate he's replaced a guy everyone couldn't stand at the end. 

Bit like Lambert replacing Mcleish. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Sherwood's failure to adequately replace the spine of our team (Vlaar, Delph and Benteke) coupled with buying a sick note right back to play at centre half and a has been centre half that even albion didn't want only scratches the surface when it comes to understanding the dross that Garde has to work with.

Ah but did Tactics Tim have a say in bringing in the players? Was it not largely down to Mr Reilly?  Whatever is the case the club is in it's worst position for over 40 years. It's going to take years to sort this mess out with or without Garde.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Richard said:

What is wrong with it is from a fans perspective we have **** all to shout about . He may as well try and take the game to the opposition and play decent football.  There are two ways of not going down with a whimper. One is def endive lay try and restrict teams from scoring 3, 4 or 5. The other is to try and win a game or two.

but we are not really doing either.

I would be happy to suspend my vision of trying to mirror the Brazillian national team......and play like ex-Wimbledon( crazy Gang) and squeeze the **** out of the opposition and get a few points.

( I know we haven't got the players for a fight, but we are more likely to sign them than the others.)

We can always metamorphosis in to the former in time.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

but we are not really doing either.

I would be happy to suspend my vision of trying to mirror the Brazillian national team......and play like ex-Wimbledon( crazy Gang) and squeeze the **** out of the opposition and get a few points.

( I know we haven't got the players, but we are more likely to sign them that the others.)

We can always metamorphase in to the former in time.

I agree. I have thought for a while we should try a much more simple style rather than fannying about sideways and backwards in the middle of the park and more often than not putting ourselves under pressure due to a lack of movement up top or an inability to play decisive through balls.

We have a big lump in Gestede who has little pace and poor movement but can win the ball. Get him up top and get the ball quickly into him with Ayew and Traore running off him. Or simply get the ball out wide as quickly as possible and put ball after ball into the box and get Gestede on the end of a few with the wide player from the opposite side and midfielders flooding the box. It wouldn't be pretty but it could be effective.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cliffy Biro said:

Undoubtedly, if he was a good manager  think he would have picked up 1, perhaps 2 wins even given the horrible circumstances but no we've laboured to 3 scrappy draws since he arrived. We have not once looked even close to winning a game.

The problem is that he's not a particularly good manager, good managers tend to go into situations and get some sort of response from the players, the players really haven't responded to him at all, then his tactics and decision making during matches leaves a lot to be desired. 

To be honest, he's just another McLeish, very similar philosophy/approach, similar tactics and similar inability to make good decisions when we're losing. 

He might eventually get it right, but it will be all too late, so on that basis he's a poor appointment. I'm also not so convinced he'll be the man to take us straight back up next season.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I agree. I have thought for a while we should try a much more simple style rather than fannying about sideways and backwards in the middle of the park and more often than not putting ourselves under pressure due to a lack of movement up top or an inability to play decisive through balls.

We have a big lump in Gestede who has little pace and poor movement but can win the ball. Get him up top and get the ball quickly into him with Ayew and Traore running off him. Or simply get the ball out wide as quickly as possible and put ball after ball into the box and get Gestede on the end of a few with the wide player from the opposite side and midfielders flooding the box. It wouldn't be pretty but it could be effective.

Mark in all seriousness Wimbledon was a bit of exaggerated comment, but I think we need to approach the rebuils in much the same way Saunders did.

Emphasis on workrate and physical challenge is the way forward for me as we are coming from such a poor backmarker.

but i would presume too many have such high opinions of what we should be.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm also not so convinced he'll be the man to take us straight back up next season.

I think for him to even be given that chance would require a decent up turn in what we have seen so far.

I was hoping for at the very least him to average one point a game from the 27 games he had this season. That now seems unlikely and I'd say based on what I have seen him getting 16 more points from the remaining games would be some going which would be 20 points overall from 27 games.

Considering that Fox etc believe we have a good squad of players and that Sherwood was the reason for poor results they can't be happy with us currently getting 0.5 points per game under Garde and no win in 8. He needs to improve clearly.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

This is true which is why I don't understand how any manager could come to the conclusion in a game you simply have to win that Richardson is a better option on the left than Grealish or that Sinclair is a better option through the middle than Gestede, Kozak or Gabby. Or that it would better to go with Ayew, Gestede, Traore or Grealish, Ayew, Gil, or Ayew, Gestede, Traore. We were nine points from safety at kick off. We had to win and our biggest attacking threats, aside from Ayew, were sat on the bench or at home.

Remi could well turn out to be a good manager for us and I hope he does but so far I have been disappointed with the lack of attacking intent we have shown under him both in terms of the players he has picked and the way we have approached games. The increasingly dire position we have found ourselves in has demanded we set out to win games and for me we simply haven't which has contributed to us having yet to win a game under him.

So a manager has to decide who is better between Richardson or Grealish, or sinclair or Gabby? The answer here is staring you right in the face, there is no good option available. I am all for bashing the manager, but this manager does not have any good or obvious options.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jareth said:

So a manager has to decide who is better between Richardson or Grealish, or sinclair or Gabby? The answer here is staring you right in the face, there is no good option available. I am all for bashing the manager, but this manager does not have any good or obvious options.

Erm the 3 names you mentioned after Richardson are far better choice for LM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cliffy Biro said:

Erm the 3 names you mentioned after Richardson are far better choice for LM.

But they are not. Grealish hasn't done a great deal other than choose between Ireland or England, sinclair has been bounced off the ball by even the lightest premiership defender, and Gabby? And really, Gabby? Please do enlighten how he has enhanced the club in the last 5 years?

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

But they are not. Grealish hasn't done a great deal other than choose between Ireland or England, sinclair has been bounced off the ball by even the lightest premiership defender, and Gabby? And really, Gabby? Please do enlighten how he has enhanced the club in the last 5 years?

I'm not arguing that those 3 are good players, im well aware of their limits. But they are still better choices than Richardson.

• Like 1

Â