The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

15 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Said sub had minimal positive effect.  A few more crosses yes, but no real product.  We have a team playing like crap.  it's normal that we would hold out hope "if he would only play ------------"  We just don't have the players that can fix the disease that's killing us.  Not Adama, Not Gil, Not Grealish.  They are a bit more fun to watch agree as they show some style, but they are all extremely limited, and have very little end product... at least in this league.  

Yep, which is why it's even more futile to criticize Garde for not playing them. Our problems run far deeper than not having X attacking player playing.

• Like 2

today was a disgrace from his team selection to his subs. he picked the 3 worst players in our squad for the most important game we have this season. he is a gutless coward after that

rather bring Tim back at least he would try to attack

I'd never even heard of Garde before we sacked Sherwood (don't remember him at Arsenal), then when we were linked to him  I read up about him and wasn't blown away (there were some mixed reports about his previous  tenure). I thought it was a massive gamble, especially as he wouldn't have a pre season with the squad, but also because reports had mentioned the formation he played and i didn't think we had the squad to suit that.

Definitely not impressed with what he has done so far, I think Sherwood would've got a win by now. Am I saying sack him? Of course not, no point, but if we don't see an improvement over the rest of the season you'd have to question whether he is the right man to bring us back up. That being said, I don't think Fox will sack him at any stage, I'd say he has used his Arsenal connections and Garde was obviously recommended to him by them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

8 games without a win, has to be worst Villa managerial start in history

playing Sinclair and Richardson in a must win game was a disgrace. 2 worst players in Villa history in such a big game

Yep I am starting to agree now, he has winnable games now so nowhere for him to hide now. that defeat yesterday was absolutely abysmal. Its like Garde has thrown in the towel. Why can our useless board of directors never get the appointments right?? I never thought I would say this but Pearson probably would have been a better appointment than Garde. He has been shit

Last season we were the worst team to survive. We then replaced;

Delph with Gana (considerable downgrade)

Cleverley with Veretout (marginal downgrade at moment, maybe in future it won't be)

Benteke with Gestede (considerable downgrade)

Vlaar with Richards (much the same, both either great or awful and getting on a bit and subject to injuries)

Weimann with Ayew (considerable upgrade)

Baker (loan) with Lescott (again, much the same, either invisible or a disaster)

and then Traore who is almost an addition to the squad. All the other signings don't, or can't (Amavi), play.

Fundamentally we didn't replace Hutton, Sanchez or Richardson at all. So there, to me, is no debate that this squad is considerably worse than the squad that was awful last season. Which is why I find any debate about managers kind of pointless - football fans generally only recognise a manager as being good if they're getting results and I maintain that is IMPOSSIBLE with this squad of players.

It was over the second we didn't improve the squad. Even if you want to argue some of the players were good signings, you'd struggle to say they are better than what left with a straight face. It always amazes me that people can't see past 'bad players getting bad results = bad manager' - no manager could get this squad safe.

I agree it's the squad of players that are wrong and we simply haven't replaced bentekes goals which have kept us up these last couple of seasons.

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Honestly, the only thing about the line-up you could fault him for was probably Richardson, but he played well all things considered. He was nowhere near the reason why we lost or even failed to win. He had no other choice with the defensive changes. There was just no way in hell Lescott and Okore could play 2 games in 3 days. He also made the highly coveted, early Adama sub at around 60 mins.

Absolute rubbish. We didn't score a goal in the game. You don't think choosing Sinclair and Richardson as our attacking players had anything to do with that? And Richardson played well? Please tell me any moment where he beat his man and crossed the ball or helped create anything positive. 

I can't believe when we lose 2-0 to a shit team people defend that kind of line up. I guarantee had we gone down the Nigel Pearson route he'd have been slaughtered for the negative football we've seen.

13 minutes ago, BigAl said:

I agree it's the squad of players that are wrong and we simply haven't replaced bentekes goals which have kept us up these last couple of seasons.

Do we really have that much of a worse squad than Norwich or Bournmouth or Sunderland(!) ? We have a squad, but we don't have a team as cliche as that sounds. Every time we play it's like the players are playing with each other for the first time. Individually we have a few talents. Ayew, Veretout, Gana, Grealish, Gil, Amavi, Richards, Okore, Westwood, Traore would all probably get into the aforementioned teams comfortably yet we are 12 points poorer than them.

Do we really have that much of a worse squad than Norwich or Bournmouth or Sunderland(!) ? We have a squad, but we don't have a team as cliche as that sounds. Every time we play it's like the players are playing with each other for the first time. Individually we have a few talents. Ayew, Veretout, Gana, Grealish, Gil, Amavi, Richards, Okore, Westwood, Traore would all probably get into the aforementioned teams comfortably yet we are 12 points poorer than them.

Guzan is the poorest Keeper ,Hutton poorest RB Richardson when played poorest LB ,Westwood poorest DM ,in the league ,Gestede isn't a PL striker ,you are only as strong as your weakest link and we have more than and other team ,we have some good players yes buy too many liabilities and players out of there depth in this league.

25 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Absolute rubbish. We didn't score a goal in the game. You don't think choosing Sinclair and Richardson as our attacking players had anything to do with that? And Richardson played well? Please tell me any moment where he beat his man and crossed the ball or helped create anything positive. 

I can't believe when we lose 2-0 to a shit team people defend that kind of line up. I guarantee had we gone down the Nigel Pearson route he'd have been slaughtered for the negative football we've seen.

I hate Richardson as much as the next guy but he had a good game and was a threat in the first half even though his end product was shambolic as usual. Besides, I already qualified that he was probably the only real mistake in the lineup. Regarding Sinclair, how much better did his replacement fare? He had 30 mins and apart from a couple of runs that ultimately amounted to a cross caught by the goalkeeper he didn't do much better. There was nothing negative about the way we set up in the game. We attacked them from the off and were all over them until they cut through our defence for a split second and scored, and our mentally fragile players predictably lost their way. You might not agree with a couple of his personnel choices but that doesn't mean he was negative regardless of the end result, that's a non sequitur. We set out to win, and just because it transpired that we didn't doesn't change this fact.

I also notice you didn't address my main point which is that  the 2 major changes from Saturday, which were the 2 that directly led to our loss might I add; were unavoidable. We didn't lose because Sinclair and Richardson were our attackers, but because Clark and Richards were our defenders. Also I'm not sure what you're insinuating with the Nigel Pearson comment so I'll just ignore it.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 4

We need to get promoted as as soon as possible. Garde will not be able to construct a side or employ tactics to get us out of the championship by getting promoted, he may be able to get us out of the championship but the wrong way.  I do not expect us to get another win all season under him. 

In January it is vital we start the rebuilding process.  I'd get someone in now to start that process and rebuild for promotion. 

I don't dislike Garde he seems like an honourable and thoroughly decent man. Out of his depth and not capable of getting a winning team and tainted already.  It's not knee jerk it's a purely business logical decision. We need that person who knows the league next season and what is needed to get promoted.

Richardson was directly at fault for the second goal and was referred to by former professionals of the game of football as a cheat.  That to me does not strike me as someone who had a good game

I hate Richardson as much as the next guy but he had a good game and was a threat in the first half even though his end product was shambolic as usual. Besides, I already qualified that he was probably the only real mistake in the lineup. Regarding Sinclair, how much better did his replacement fare? He had 30 mins and apart from a couple of runs that ultimately amounted to a cross caught by the goalkeeper he didn't do much better. There was nothing negative about the way we set up in the game. We attacked them from the off and were all over them until they cut through our defence for a split second and scored, and our mentally fragile players predictably lost their way. You might not agree with a couple of his personnel choices but that doesn't mean he was negative regardless of the end result, that's a non sequitur. We set out to win, and just because it transpired that we didn't doesn't change this fact.

I also notice you didn't address my main point which is that  the 2 major changes from Saturday, which were the 2 that directly led to our loss might I add; were unavoidable. We didn't lose because Sinclair and Richardson were our attackers, but because Clark and Richards were our defenders. Also I'm not sure what you're insinuating with the Nigel Pearson comment so I'll just ignore it.

Had a great game, especially when he jogged back and allowed them to score their 2nd.

• Like 1

We didn't score a goal. So while we may not have lost with different defenders, it was unlikely we were going to win. And so far that's the kind of negative approach we've seen. If you think Richardson was positive and a threat then its no wonder you disagree. But you're watching a different player to me. You may think we set out to win, but I'd disagree it was the best way to try and achieve that. At best we were getting another draw but its resulted in a loss. 

Adama was much more positive than Sinclair but also what's he going to do with 30 minutes in a game we are once again chasing.

Not specifically aiming the Pearson comment at you. I just think, if we'd hired a manager people didn't want, they'd be getting hammered for the approach and results Garde has shown.

I'm with the pessimists, I've seen very little from Garde and don't expect to see us win again all season.

His record was mediocre, he did alright for a handful of years with a Lyon side that weren't their best, but he showed no signs of being able to pull us out of a dogfight. I think it was an appointment made based on him being young, probably cheap and his methods sounding like they were very interesting...the sort of appointment made by a businessman, not a footballing man. The footballing man would've appointed David Moyes, who may not have done any better, but he would've been less of a gamble.

I never used to blame Lerner, I still don't m, he was only trying to make us a sustainable business...he realised he was rubbish at the football owner lark so he tried to sell and bought in Tom Fox to run the club...Tom Fox has managed to make what was already a poor situation much worse. He appointed (or at least had a major role in appointing) Sherwood, he appointed Garde. I blame Tom Fox for this seasons debacle, oh and he was part of that "committee" who suggested players...most of which have been a bit shit.

That has to be one of the worst performances I have seen from us in the 20 years of following the club. When I saw the line up and saw Richardsons name in there, any sense of optimism from the West Ham game went. And then to see he was actually deployed in a more advanced role, has really made me question Garde's intention here. I mean seriously, what the **** was he thinking?

We seem intent on trying to play with a possession based style. That's fine if the team is playing with confidence, but we aren't. The players panic on the ball and time and time again, we give it away in dangerous positions. Hutton is the one mostly at fault here and yesterday was no exception (see their 2nd).

It was embarrassing yesterday watching our only striker having to drop to the halfway line to pick up the ball. We desperately needed another outlet and I was actually disappointed when I saw Gestede wasn't starting. 

I could see the positive input Garde was having on the team since he took over, but he needs to take full responsibility for that performance yesterday. 

The worst thing for me was that Norwich played badly, and they were better than us in every position on the pitch. 

People screaming that we should be getting Sherwood back as he would play the right players? You mean like Richardson over Amavi? Garde not winning games doesn't make Sherwood a good manager. Once again we aren't looking deep enough. Those in charge are making the wrong decisions and that includes managerial appointments!

Edited by DK82
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DK82 said:

People screaming that we should be getting Sherwood back as he would play the right players? You mean like Richardson over Amavi? Garde not winning games doesn't make Sherwood a good manager. Once again we aren't looking deep enough. Those in charge are making the wrong decisions and that includes managerial appointments!

Spot on - Garde was a wrong appointment for the club in our position. Unfortunately our club is completely inadequate from Top to bottom until this is resolved you could have Ferguson Mourino combination and we would still be shi;;;t

Â