The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Just now, KHV said:

Why? Because he played 31 times for Arsenal in 3 years in the late 90's 

Sherwood lost it, he was a quivering mess, he pannicked, Garde has come in and tried hard with the squad, I believe he is the man to oversee at least two transfer windows - but we are going to take longer than this premier league season to pick up properly. But most of all we need an owner to finance us and back his manager. It is now up to Randy, not to keep us up, but to get us back.

3 minutes ago, Cliffy Biro said:

Even under all the shitty circumstances hes working under he is doing an absolutely awful job, its as simple as that.

I think he is benefiting from the fact that the shitty state we are in as a club is disgusting that he is a poor manager. He has a readymade excuse to cover up his inadequacies. 

Today's line-up was horrendous.

Having Hutton, Clark and Richards in the same back 4 is frankly retarded, they play like 3 overly exited puppies.

Sinclair and Richardson are terrible and will never create anything other than frustration for us Villa fans.

The midfield 3 are not the type of players to do more than a solid days work at best.

So that leaves it all down to Ayew to make something out of nothing, this in a game we had to win.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

I think obviously you give him until the end of the season minimum. Let him bring in a few players, if things don't improve much, then it's obvious he's not the man for the job. But with some of his own players, maybe things improve a bit and even if we still go down at least we know where we stand with him.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

I think he is benefiting from the fact that the shitty state we are in as a club is disgusting that he is a poor manager. He has a readymade excuse to cover up his inadequacies. 

Possibly. If he were a bartender, it would be like asking him to mix something drinkable using cyanide, dishwater and a dash of sulfuric acid. We are in such a state..

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

I can't agree mate sorry. We were dog shit against Everton, shite for much of today against a poor Norwich side, shit for 45 mins against a poor Newcastle and could have been 4 down inside 30 mins against Southampton. We played well against West Ham, did ok against Watford but were beaten, defended admirably against Man City and against Arsenal we started the game with no intensity and little fight given the shit we were in and they never go out of second gear.

We have taken 4 points from 8 games and that is about as much as we have deserved. As I said we don't defend better, we don't create more chances and we don't score any more. The stats will back that up and having watched all our games under him half of them in the flesh I have to say those facts are painting a true picture unfortunately.

We expected an improvement surely if not what was the point in changing manager? A reasonable expectation would have been for him to get a point a game but he has achieved half that. Like I said though, and have said a number of times over the last few weeks, my biggest criticism of Remi is that he is too negative. Too afraid to really go for it in games and put the opposition on the back foot for fear of losing. That approach though has sadly simply seen us not win and given the position we were in when he arrived it was the complete opposite of what was required. We needed to go for it. It was shit or bust and for me we haven't even given it a go under him and that is in some ways unforgivable as we are going down with a whimper.

To be fair Mark, while you always put across a reasoned and fair viewpoint, you like any other fan do not have all the information necessary to make an informed point.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

Undoubtedly, if he was a good manager  think he would have picked up 1, perhaps 2 wins even given the horrible circumstances but no we've laboured to 3 scrappy draws since he arrived. We have not once looked even close to winning a game.

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We actually are. We weren't today, but overall we are. 

The fact that we're STILL not very good shows how **** awful we were under the joke of a former manager.

Anyone who would prefer him to still be here needs their head checking.

I better go see a psychiatrist then

Alarm bells were ringing when I saw the XI.  I've got a lot of time for Garde but I'd have hammered Sherwood or KMac for putting that attack out on the pitch.  I understand things like Okore's knee might not being up to another game so quick, plus Richards is first choice centre half and skipper, but with Sanchez out it would have been an opportunity to get Gil or Grealish at the tip of the diamond and then letting Traore loose up top.  Just try to see if having made ourselves more solid and harder to beat, we could add a bit more lively attacking play as the next step.  I can't help but feel this is two steps back and makes it almost impossible to stay up.  Just a bit gutted, really.

• Like 1

@Richard you seem convinced Garde is no good and a poor manager based on the short time he's been here yet defended Lambert to the end, initially claiming he would be the greatest villa manager in 30 years. Just interested to know why you backed Lambert so long but are unwilling to give Garde a chance after such a short time. On another subject... Your views on Learner are spot on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

To be fair Mark, while you always put across a reasoned and fair viewpoint, you like any other fan do not have all the information necessary to make an informed point.

I never claim to be making informed posts mate. I am simply giving my opinion based on what I am seeing. Just like any other poster.

• Like 2

I think he got it wrong today with the line up but I also don't know his logic behind it. Whether Okore and Lescott needed the rest only he can answer. Playing Sinclair after recent performances, only he knows?! What I do know is this... He has come into a sinking ship, a ship with a massive whole in the hull and with not enough time to carry out a full repair before it goes down. IMO our biggest problem are most the long standing players we have, Clark, Richardson, Hutton, Gabby, NZog. Add the ineptness of Sinclair, Gestede, Sanchez and Bacuna to a degree, Lescott and even Westwood for lack of influence alone. What you have is a frigging catastrophe on your hands!! Personally I don't believe any manager in the world could stop this team without getting rid of at LEAST half the personnel. And that wont happen this season but I believe Garde should oversee it.

Sherwood's failure to adequately replace the spine of our team (Vlaar, Delph and Benteke) coupled with buying a sick note right back to play at centre half and a has been centre half that even albion didn't want only scratches the surface when it comes to understanding the dross that Garde has to work with.

6 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I never claim to be making informed posts mate. I am simply giving my opinion based on what I am seeing. Just like any other poster.

But you claim that we need to go 'shit or bust' well perhaps that would work, should we have the correct personnel, but I don;t think that Remi sees it like that. I don't think that any fan right now has an answer to the situation that can be declared in a paragraph and be proved correct. I don't think that right now there are any answers to our situation short of relegation and a shock for Randy, keeping Remi as manager and seeing it through with investment.

Just now, Jareth said:

But you claim that we need to go 'shit or bust' well perhaps that would work, should we have the correct personnel, but I don;t think that Remi sees it like that. I don't think that any fan right now has an answer to the situation that can be declared in a paragraph and be proved correct. I don't think that right now there are any answers to our situation short of relegation and a shock for Randy, keeping Remi as manager and seeing it through with investment.

I am just giving my opinion mate just like you and every other poster on VT. I don't think we have tried under Remi to win games. The line ups have backed that up for me. Now playing more attacking players with a more attacking approach to games could well have resulted in us losing some games 4 or 5 nil and also maybe winning a couple 3-2 but regardless I just don't feel we have given it a good go under him. His negative approach has actually not seen us win a game and aside from the drubbing against Everton we could easily have shipped 4 against Southampton as well so it simply hasn't worked. For us given our defensive frailties attack could well have proved the best form of defence and we certainly have the personnel to play a more attacking line up. All in my opinion of course.

Â