Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, AndyBM said:

surely cissokho cant be any worst than richardson or bacuna at left back?

Doug Ellis, Victoria Beckham and Stevie Wonder would be an upgrade over Richardson. (Nuff said)

Bacuna has done okay, just a pity he can't cross with his left peg.

I guess we allowed Cissokho to go on loan to save wages?

10 hours ago, villan-scott said:

I noticed when Garde was talking about Remy he mentioned other possibilities that haven't got the experience in the league but have the quality. Definitely will be a striker incoming whether it be Remy or another. 

It's the one position we absolutely must sort out, no question. 

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

It's the one position we absolutely must sort out, no question. 

And midfield, we cannot continue with Gana and Sanchez. They are proper shit

this season none of our midfield have been consistent or good enough, least of all Gana and Sanchez. Not saying either are shit but if i could list the players whose quality or lack of it is taking us faster than expected onto the inevitable path to relegation it would go in this order (not including ones not playing).

Richardson - we lose when he plays, he isn't anything close to being a left back
Sanchez - he can't control a ball, he gives the opposition more assists than the opposition create, he is slow, even if he makes good blocks and tackles he still then makes rash tackles to win back balls he has lost
Guzan - he can't seem to save any shots straight at him, his distribution is terrible, he has been awful for nearly 2 seasons
Clark - everytime he plays our defence falls apart, not sure if that is down to him but it can't be a coincidence we look weaker when he plays
Gana - plays well for about 20 mins, has one crap shot on goal then disappears
Gestede - rarely makes anything of the chances he does get these days, incredibly average
Lescott - has got a good deal better so only listed because of his early performances
Richards - I do rate him, but again everytime he plays gaping holes are left in defense as positionally he is awful. He is kidding himself if he thinks he is a good leader on the pitch or a good central defender, no matter what sherwood told him. 
Hutton - Ok going forward, but makes mistakes and again leaves gaps. He and Richards are a car crash of defensive positioning.

Not saying there aren't other players underachieving and being crap, Vertout is only just off that list and Westwood to.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KHV said:

You think our midfield is good then??

It's probably the last thing we need to worry about at the moment - nowhere near as important as getting a direct, pacey striker in or making sure that Richards never plays CB again. 

1 minute ago, lexicon said:
1 minute ago, lexicon said:

It's probably the last thing we need to worry about at the moment - nowhere near as important as getting a direct, pacey striker in or making sure that Richards never plays CB again. 

FWIW I think it's the most important area, the midfield can't keep the ball, has awful positional sense,  poses almost zero attacking threat and never tracks runners. Quite frankly it's a disgrace to professional football.

I also agree with you about the need for a striker and a centre back. I'd probably add a goalkeeper to the must need list.

Basically we need 5 quality signings in January :(

• Like 1

I agree it's an important area, but I disagree with your assessment of it. All of those players are doing fine, it's the shite around them that's causing the problems. The only decent outlet they've had in attack has been Ayew. They've done their part getting it into the final third but the full backs have been shite and Ayew doesn't have a striker partner yet. 

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

I agree it's an important area, but I disagree with your assessment of it. All of those players are doing fine, it's the shite around them that's causing the problems. The only decent outlet they've had in attack has been Ayew. They've done their part getting it into the final third but the full backs have been shite and Ayew doesn't have a striker partner yet. 

That's fair enough, I just have an impending sense of doom every time Gana and Sanchez appear in the line up. I think they are atrocious and full of mistakes. There are too many things wrong with Aston Villa on the whole especially on the pitch. It will probably take about 3 transfer windows to sort this mess out never mind a January one.

The midfield are atrocious in protecting the back four, and the dong do anything going forward either. Highlighted on Saturday in the first goal, simple one two around Veretout and Westwood (who recovered well and then just let them put a ball into the middle).

We need physicality in there if we're to buy anyone.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

No matter what others may think, I think a professional footballer will always think he is good enough.

They are more likely to have inflated ideas of how good they are.

I agree.

It's why I never agree with people who criticise players who sign for big clubs. People like Rodwell or Sidwell (when he went to Chelsea) or even Delph. We all know they will probably end up on the bench. But no professional player will be thinking that. He'll be backing himself and he'll want to see if he can make the step up.

Not many, if any, will be thinking "oh yeah, I'll have a cushty 2 years on the bench if I sign there"

• Like 2

for me not one of them are good enough for the week in week out consistency required for the premiership. When we get relegated lets see how many of them get another club and stay in the premiership. How many of this lot will be in peoples fantasy league teams up and down the country? I would hazard a guess and say a big fat zero.

Now we obviously cant go out and buy a new team, but unless Garde or whoever it is in charge of transfer policy goes out and gets 5 or 6 quality players to bolster some of the better ones we do have we will be doing well to stay out of the 5 lowest ever points total which ranges from 11 Derby County amassed in 2007/08 to Bradford City's 26 in 2000/01.

Other teams have survived from worse positions. Survival is looking increasingly unlikely with each passing game, but whilst it's still mathematically possible to stay the team can't just give up. There will be plenty of time to prepare for the Championship in the summer, should we get relegated.

Actually no team has avoided relegation after having only 7 pts at xmas.

7 pts is also the equal lowest pts tally at xmas in the prem era.

Unless we plan to set a positive record (for a change) then i think we are doomed...