The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Someone will have done the maths, realised they can get the 54 but not the full 180 odd

If they get the 54+ then the picture changes. People keeping their heads down will potentially join in - kind of  "I don't want to be seen as disloyal and one of those who first called (wrote a letter) for him to go, but now that it's game on, yeah, I don't like him either, my constituents are furious...I have no choice but to...".

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

I can't see twits properly on this PC, but surely it depends on what the outcome of the investigation is before a rebellion can be said to have failed - I mean it (theoretically) might lay enough "involvement" on Bunter to make his position untenable in the eyes of at least 54 baby eating MPs?

Surely, as well, if he gets a chunk of responsibility in the report, but escapes, just, and then the Tories get hammered in the local elections there will be more discontent and that could force him out?  

I doubt many Tory MPs are actually basing their decisions on the content of the report TBH.

Following on from David Davis' outburst at PMQ's, a little bit of fun 'in the name of God, go!' trivia (from a locked Twitter account):

'Other MPs who have recently declared "in the name of god, go!":

- Bill Cash, to the Committee on the Early Parliamentary General Election Bill

- Bill Cash, to all MPs who opposed Brexit

- Austin Mitchell to all MPs in the 2010-15 Parliament

In the Major era, Doug Henderson, Roy Hughes, Tom Clarke and Dennis Skinner also called for the Tory government to "in the name of god, go", while discussing matters including local government finance and German coal imports.

In 1974 John Parker MP called for Cyprus-style population transfers in Ireland, declared that Northern Ireland "horrifies us with its intolerance, its religious bigotry and its bloody murder" and that if they "are to continue with this kind of thing... in the name of God, go"'

1 minute ago, choffer said:

Obviously an unverifiable claim but it’s still entirely believable:

Lets hope they haven't sent them by Hermes. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, choffer said:

Just a few comments I've read on that so far:

- Email? Have the Tory MPs ever heard of it?  Maybe fax machines. Jacob Rees-Mogg still uses carrier Pigeon.

- Pigeons? Don’t be ludicrous, Rees mogg would only use ravens.

- Had they thought of emailing them to him, or do they have to be written by quill pen & sealed with wax.

8 minutes ago, choffer said:

Not only is it unverifiable, it's nonsense. They can send their letters by email, even the Tory Party isn't that archaic

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not only is it unverifiable, it's nonsense. They can send their letters by email, even the Tory Party isn't that archaic

I can think of some who would just ask Nanny to deliver a letter for them. 

• Haha 1

One interesting point on the David Davis intervention - he, more than anyone was one of the main fighters on behalf of Owen Paterson and did more than anyone to try and get him off the hook for his corruption. And that massive cock-up was the first domino that started all this.

So for all his pompous whining about the PM letting everyone down, he's one of the architects of the three months of hilarity that has ruined Johnson's career.

• Like 1

On the David Davies speech today, it was more of a jibe that you might realise...

‘In the Name of God, Go’

Britain’s prime minister sees himself as Winston Churchill’s heir. But what if he is remembered as Churchill’s weak, humiliated predecessor instead?

[...]

If you wanted to choose a quotation to wound Boris Johnson—a man who wrote a biography of Winston Churchill as a coded advertisement for his own virtues—then this would be it. When Johnson’s fellow Conservative David Davis stood up in Parliament today and said these words, he must have intended them to be a fatal blow. Davis was not comparing the prime minister to his hero Churchill. He was comparing him to Neville Chamberlain, Churchill’s weak, appeasing predecessor.

[...]

The quotation comes from a 1940 debate on Britain’s conduct in the dispiriting first months of the Second World War, as Britain failed to defend Norway from a German invasion. The Conservative Leo Amery compared Chamberlain’s attitude toward Adolf Hitler to that of a lion hunter caught sleeping by the lion. “That is, in brief, the story of our initiative over Norway,” Amery said. Then he built to a conclusion that quoted Oliver Cromwell, who overthrew and executed King Charles I. “This is what Cromwell said to the Long Parliament when he thought it was no longer fit to conduct the affairs of the nation: ‘You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go.’”

[...]

Johnson’s response was to claim that he didn’t recognize the quotation. Either he was lying or someone else must have written his Churchill book. The day after the Norway debate, Germany invaded France and Chamberlain resigned from office—to be replaced by Churchill. How could a Churchill biographer not know the most famous quote from that pivotal debate?

The Atlantic

Sajid Javid is reportedly considering a shake-up of hospitals in line with reforms to the education system launched under the coalition government.

He is looking at proposals to introduce ‘academy-style’ status in a bid to slash post-pandemic waiting lists, according to The Times.

The reforms would give successful hospital bosses more freedom to run their own affairs, while new powers would be introduced to force failing trusts to improve.

Struggling health areas would be forcibly turned into ‘reform trusts’ to speed up changes, as already happens with schools.

Chains of hospitals ‘will be run by leading NHS managers, or even outside sponsors, although this is yet to be decided’, the paper reports.

A Whitehall source told The Times: ‘Sajid’s reform agenda is all about driving up performance across the NHS. To achieve that we are going to apply some lessons from the academies programme.’

The government is under pressure to bring forward proposals to ease the huge backlog of cases created by the Covid-19 pandemic. 

Metro

This to come after the break up and introduction of private interests to decision making in the NHS.

Yeah, it's about slashing waiting lists  :crylaugh:

Lobbyists 1 - Witless & Sit at Home Voters 0

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bickster said:

They really are quite archaic though

No one disputes the need to cut parliamentary costs. But inscribing acts on paper instead of calfskin will save little, and undermine the authority of UK legislation

Rees-Mogg from 2016 on why this modern day paper fad should be ignored in preference for writing laws on animal skin.....

Personally, I’d be happy for him to limp on another few months.

There is no way he can get between here and an election without accidentally killing a horse, or impregnating someone he isn’t married to, or caught knocking a sausage roll from Greggs.

Keep him on, keep him in the spotlight.

Sack him off, a victory for standards and decency.

Win / Win.

• Like 1

Â