The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What the **** makes them so popular? 

At the moment it’s vaccinations and the imminent prospect of the end of lockdown. This pleases people and so they credit the guvmint.

I believe it really is that simple.

• Like 2

I wouldn't be surprised to see them call an election within the next 12 months off the back of the vaccination success and before the economic pain is inflicted. Would give them 3 years then to inflict that pain and a couple of years before another election to again wipe peoples memories. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

123,000 dead

Theft of millions of pounds.

Brexit ‘deal’ closing companies.

The vote against helping people impacted by Grenfell.

Now is not the time to point these things out? If that’s opposition, it’s pathetic.

They were incredibly lucky that coronavirus came along to cloud the reasons for the collapse of the economy. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see them call an election within the next 12 months off the back of the vaccination success and before the economic pain is inflicted.

I would be astonished if they did that. 3 reasons why. 1 - we’ve had a bunch of them in the past few years. Election fatigue. 2 - In the next 12 months it’ll be seen that Brexit teething troubles and downsides are not temporary, but long term and once the constant news focus turns away from the covifungus rescue, the sheer scale of the incompetence will be more visible and count against the guvmint. 3 - Opposition parties get a fairer hearing during election campaigns. Corbyn was an asset to an extent to the tories, Starmer (despite what people say) is not, he’s a threat and they know it.

14 minutes ago, blandy said:

I would be astonished if they did that. 3 reasons why. 1 - we’ve had a bunch of them in the past few years. Election fatigue. 2 - In the next 12 months it’ll be seen that Brexit teething troubles and downsides are not temporary, but long term and once the constant news focus turns away from the covifungus rescue, the sheer scale of the incompetence will be more visible and count against the guvmint. 3 - Opposition parties get a fairer hearing during election campaigns. Corbyn was an asset to an extent to the tories, Starmer (despite what people say) is not, he’s a threat and they know it.

I just think they will see it as easier to win an election in 12 months, with the euphoria of hopefully the vaccine success and a return to normality, than it will be to win an election in 3 years time when we are likely to be right in the middle of huge cuts and tax rises and really feeling the impact of Brexit that they will struggle to at that time blame on covid.

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I just think they will see it as easier to win an election in 12 months, with the euphoria of hopefully the vaccine success and a return to normality, than it will be to win an election in 3 years time when we are likely to be right in the middle of huge cuts and tax rises and really feeling the impact of Brexit that they will struggle to at that time blame on covid.

I just don't think the electorate will thank them for it, it would be seen as unneccessary and may well cause a backlash and a low turnout but this time it will be their voters not turning out (which is unusual)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Maybe. I just think, and this might sound daft, that there’s a difference between how people perceive the tories and how they perceive “the government”. Right now, they perceive the government as being in their good books because “vaccines”. If there were an election, then “the tories” come into the equation. And despite what a lot of people claim, I don’t think “the tories” are popular. Nobody actually likes them. Or not many do. Hedge fund owners and media barons sort of pay them to not be nasty to them. The very wealthy think they’re less likely to tax them heavily and a bunch of little Englanders like their mean spiritedness and “ra ra ra Last Night of the Proms, we won the war”. Everybody else either tolerates them or hates them.  Give what people see as a credible alternative and they’ll shovel the tories out. There may be some wishful thinking in there, but that’s how I perceive it. 

• Like 1

I can't see them calling an election in the short term because I don't think Boris will want another term, but I also don't think he'll want to truncate this one - I think we'll see a change of leader about a year before they call an election, they might take advantage of the short term pandemic bounce to do that next year and have avuncular-pandemic-hero Boris with his arm around dishy Rishi in a pre-election charm offensive.

And if anything has caused his dip in the polls its the more left wing of the populace and their everything now, social media, instant coffee culture of wanting everything to happen yesterday. They are the ones who've influenced this dip in the polls

Jam yesterday, f*** tomorrow

• Haha 1

The cladding scandal will come back to sink the Government if they continue to try and pass the cost of defective and unsafe buildings onto the leaseholders. We're talking of millions of people this could impact and a fair few current tory voters I would imagine. 

• Like 1

I find it odd that 

4 hours ago, blandy said:

Maybe. I just think, and this might sound daft, that there’s a difference between how people perceive the tories and how they perceive “the government”. Right now, they perceive the government as being in their good books because “vaccines”. If there were an election, then “the tories” come into the equation. And despite what a lot of people claim, I don’t think “the tories” are popular. Nobody actually likes them. Or not many do. Hedge fund owners and media barons sort of pay them to not be nasty to them. The very wealthy think they’re less likely to tax them heavily and a bunch of little Englanders like their mean spiritedness and “ra ra ra Last Night of the Proms, we won the war”. Everybody else either tolerates them or hates them.  Give what people see as a credible alternative and they’ll shovel the tories out. There may be some wishful thinking in there, but that’s how I perceive it. 

You cant have the share of vote they consistently get without people liking them and unfortunately not all of those people can be extremely wealthy, bankers, hedge fund managers.

They are liked by many people who feel represented by them. Similar to labour, they are strong in certain areas of the country.

Villatalk aside, I know very few people that support labour. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

"For the people who are reaslly interested in this kind of thing"

So, nobody? :D

It was the clarification that he preferred Mexican Coke that slayed me. 

Â