The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

15 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

The reason the Tories got in is because they, backed up by the right wing media, managed to convince enough gullible people that Labour were responsible for the world wide financial crisis.

That same right wing media will now continue to tell people that the Tories aren't responsible for the shit show over the last 12 years, the decimation of our public services, the biggest fall in living standards on record, the Brexit shambles, the division in our country.........

As much as people roll their eyes, the real reason the Tories got in was because Corbyn was just too far left for the general electorate to digest. Correctly or not, he was successfully portrayed as Anti British, pro immigration, state sponsored everything etc. Just too much too soon for the majority of the electorate.

If Starmer, or another more centrist figure was Labour leader at the time Labour would have probably won.

Labour have wised up, they are making wise decisions to keep main electorate happy. An example of this was playing the national anthem at the start of the Labour party conference (Corbyn still couldn't help himself but moan about it). It does no harm, but it keeps flag waivers happy + helps to dismiss the anti British sentiment. 

Edited by pas5898
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

As much as people roll their eyes, the real reason the Tories got in, was because Corbyn was just too far left for the general electorate to digest. Correctly or not, he was successfully portrayed as Anti British, pro immigration, state sponsored everything etc. Just too much too soon for the majority of the electorate.

If Starmer, or another more centrist figure was Labour leader at the time Labour would have probably won.

Labour have wised up, they are making wise decisions to keep main electorate happy. An example of this was playing the national anthem at the start of the Labour party conference (Corbyn still couldn't help himself but moan about it). It does no harm, but it keeps flag waivers happy + helps to dismiss the anti British sentiment. 

Indeed. Just needs a Labour leader to act like a grown up, and not like a stroppy sixth former. I expect Labour wll get a huge majority at the next election, but if they don't, they might as well pack it in.

3 minutes ago, Risso said:

Indeed. Just needs a Labour leader to act like a grown up, and not like a stroppy sixth former. I expect Labour wll get a huge majority at the next election, but if they don't, they might as well pack it in.

Easiest Tee up ever. 

Stay in the middle, don't get involved in divisive politics. If you get dragged into immigration, Gender or other divisive discussions stay centrist (even if it annoys some of the left leaning party members).

They've caught on and will literally walk the next election.

And seriously, as f***ed up as it is, give me Johnson's response to Ukraine rather than Corbyn's. Both of them are compromised by Russian influence but at least Johnson forgot that on the surface, Corbyn is still wittering on about talks even now after blaming NATO for the the lead up and first month of the war.

The electorate were not wrong about Corbyn, it just gave them the choice of the other dickhead. A choice they wouldn't have faced under a PR system

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Easiest Tee up ever. 

Stay in the middle, don't get involved in divisive politics. If you get dragged into immigration, Gender or other divisive discussions stay centrist (even if it annoys some of the left leaning party members).

They've caught on and will literally walk the next election.

The left fall in love, the right fall in line.

What may stop Labour getting the majority they probably should is the left/far left of the party who refuse to hold their noses.

Honestly, it's maddening. They may as well just vote for Tories.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

What may stop Labour getting the majority they probably should is the left/far left of the party who refuse to hold their noses.

This has always been the way

11 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Seeing Reece-Mogg lose his seat would make me very happy.

Oh and to reiterate I am not a Tory but I still think the Chancellors budget is a good one and will benefit the UK economy overcome some (but not all obviously) of Brexit. Borrowing to help solve the current energy crisis while giving tax cuts to promote growth is a perfectly reasonable approach. A weak pound helps exports and helps me buy a new house in the UK with my dollars :)

I am the exact target beneficiary of his budget and I am not going to pretend its not good for me, it is. I am looking to move back to the UK next year after 30 years away and looking to set up a branch of my company in the UK I will be a "first time home owner" (I lol because I own my current home in the USA so I get to cash out over here as a one time tax benefit and then get a tax break in the UK for my "starter home" :)

Anyways obviously I like the budget and assuming my move goes ahead the UK will benefit form my tax pounds and employment opportunities I will be creating for many years to come. So win/win as far as i am concerned.

Glad the 1% are happy.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The far left is a marginal part of the overall electorate. That is why Britain has never had a hard left government. Hence Blair being the longest serving Labour PM, followed by Wilson who always had to manage both wings of the party.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

And seriously, as f***ed up as it is, give me Johnson's response to Ukraine rather than Corbyn's. Both of them are compromised by Russian influence but at least Johnson forgot that on the surface, Corbyn is still wittering on about talks even now after blaming NATO for the the lead up and first month of the war.

The electorate were not wrong about Corbyn, it just gave them the choice of the other dickhead. A choice they wouldn't have faced under a PR system

Agree with this. Boris was shit but one of the few things he did do right was this

Corbyn in charge during a pandemic then a war its frightening to even think about. 

If labour had got their leader right at the previous election they probably would have won

The Tories got in opposition to Gordon Brown and Ed Milliband too. You can't just lump it all on Corbyn. The obvious sections of the media had a lot of sway with all three and Nick Clegg didn't help either. As @markavfc40 says lumping a global financial crisis on Labour (of course, when Cameron was advocating removing even more regulation) was a vote winner. Just like character attacks on Ed Milliband and Corbyn were too—oh and on 'benefit scroungers'.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

He'd definitely have done this part better.

We will never know but i doubt it. Corbyn wasnt even a PM and the amount of division he had in his party was astounding. I think he would have been collosal failure.

Alot of **** up but getting the vaccines out early was a wise decision on reflection and the furlough scheme saved massive unemployment from happening.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pas5898 said:

As much as people roll their eyes, the real reason the Tories got in was because Corbyn was just too far left for the general electorate to digest. Correctly or not, he was successfully portrayed as Anti British, pro immigration, state sponsored everything etc. Just too much too soon for the majority of the electorate.

Corbyn had nothing to do with 2010 and 2015, which is when Labour’s economic record under Brown was being hammered by Osborne.

I agree Corbyn then made things a lot worse, but the starting point for this disastrous decade was a bizarre narrative that said Brown had wrecked the UK economy by running a deficit.

We then had Cameron and Osborne refuse to borrow in a record low-interest rate environment when any sensible govt would have borrowed to invest in infrastructure and growth.

Now finally as interest rates start surging, the Tories have magically decided to start borrowing.

It’s insane. Gordon Brown was a weird guy, but he and Ed Balls ran the economy very sensibly, and it was a huge right wing smear campaign that undermined them and dragged this country into loonynomics territory.

• Like 4

Â