The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Just now, PaulC said:

It would have been far cheaper to borrow then than it is now. Austerity did a lot of damage and made the poorer even poorer. Cameron put us in a weak position with min.  growth

I agree paul but how can you predict what would happen? Would any of us seen this happen 5-6 years ago a global pandemic that none of us had seeen in our lifetime? Or a russian war?

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If conservatives did that they would be called every name under the sun on here 🤔 

Absolutely. And Liam Byrne, who left the joke note is also a [insert every name under the sun]. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If conservatives did that they would be called every name under the sun on here 🤔 

It was an old tradition for the Chancellor to leave a note saying something like that. The problem is Liam Byrne wrote something that absolutely played into Osborne's campaign messages, and so they immediately leaked it.

Was deeply unfair, and the fact it still sticks shows how stupid Liam Byrne was to do it, but also how manipulative Osborne and his media chums were. It's a totally meaningless thing to say. How does the 5th or 6th largest economy in the world just "run out of money"? It's not a meaningful expression, except as a joke.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

You seem to be forgetting there was no money even labour left a note to admit that so why would they borrow more? If they did we would be in even more of a mess than we were in now. 

The mess started in the brown era and then continued from cameron, to may to boris (x100) to the damage to the economy.  Now truss is doing x10000 worse

Im not defending the tories as they have mainly been a complete shit show but it’s the defending of labour and not holding them accountable for the massive **** ups they did as well.

12 **** years Dem. 12 **** years. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blandy said:

They really didn’t, Dem. They damaged it and more importantly they damaged people and society because of their stance. Austerity, as they called has wrecked so much, and was completely counter productive. To put it in small example terms, by cutting spending on care homes and on care for the elderly, they notionally “saved” money, but the consequences were that more elderly people had to go into hospitals (at greater cost), they then also blocked beds for others because care in the community had gone and so waiting lists went up to the detriment of unwell and injured people, and the workload on NHS staff was increased…

And that kind of counterproductive stuff happened across the country and across sectors. Sure start centres, defence, social housing, local government, infrastructure, energy and on and on. And they didn’t cut the deficit, they didn’t meet their declared target. They utterly got it wrong.

You don’t boost an economy by strangling it. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Nope

Thanks! Hopefully my UK tax guy can figure out how to best approach it.

It makes Scotland or Ireland a bit more attractive for sure. Although my assumption is the budget will spur new homes being built in the UK and I prefer to buy a new house. Older ones particularly with some acreage can be such a money pit.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

20 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Although my assumption is the budget will spur new homes being built in the UK

It won't. All cutting Stamp Duty will do, is increase the price of houses

We don't have enough builders and we don't have enough building materials or enough people to make building materials

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

It won't. All cutting Stamp Duty will do, is increase the price of houses

We don't have enough builders and we don't have enough building materials or enough people to make building materials

And we do have a Government desperate to not build (too m)any more for fear of terrifying their donors and supporters.

• Like 1

No biggie, just one the very few economists (and one of Truss's three economic advisors) who didnt think her plan was suicidal from the start admitting that actually, things might be f****d after all.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

No biggie, just one the very few economists (and one of Truss's three economic advisors) who didnt think her plan was suicidal from the start admitting that actually, things might be f****d after all.

What the absolute f*** does... (I think it will, but it's not looking good.)... actually mean?

Is he having treatment for his ailment?

38 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Presumably "just pay the tax that you're supposed to pay" has already been ruled out as an option?

Always have done, always will. You seem very offended I am looking to take advantage of the completely legal and ethical opportunities the governments budget is designed to create.

I am looking to bring my tax pounds to the UK and the budget is helping encourage that. Isnt it in everyone's interest ex pats who create jobs and tax revenue move back to the UK? 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree paul but how can you predict what would happen? Would any of us seen this happen 5-6 years ago a global pandemic that none of us had seeen in our lifetime? Or a russian war?

Russia marched into Crimea in 2014. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Always have done, always will. You seem very offended I am looking to take advantage of the completely legal and ethical opportunities the governments budget is designed to create.

I'm not offended in the slightest. I simply corrected your misunderstanding that you would pay less SDLT than you thought you might. And with that new info you thought that moving to a different country might be a good way to mitigate the additional money that you might have to pay.

I make no judgement on that. Your life, your money.

But I'd definitely suggest firing the "UK tax guy" who told you that you'd be a first time buyer when you're clearly not.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

who create jobs

I'm not picking you up on anything in your post, it's just this little phrase has been thrown about by a lot of people in the Tory Party of late and it reminded me. The UK doesn't have an unemployment problem, it has an employment problem. There are more vacancies than people to fill the roles already

• Like 1

Â