Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think us and Newcastle must be the best examples of prem clubs that have been left behind by changing dynamics like billionaire foreign owners coming in.

Both of us have the potential to be still around top 6, indeed in the 90s Newcastle were challenging for the league and we weren't far behind even if we typically couldn't make the final step. Now we're both happy to stay in the league, punching well below our weights. Bad decisions and direction from the ownership the main reason.

That's why I tip my hat off to Everton. No major owner yet the odd blip season aside they produce competitive teams that stay in the top half of the league season in season out and are decent to watch.

They have an owner that cares, seeing Doug in the stands today made me feel a bit sad that he wasn't a wealthier man......UTV

Amusingly though most Evertonians can't stand Kenwright for various reasons, go on when Skies are grey and their other forums and it's probably as negative as the Lerner thread

. I've always felt that is harsh although they have messed up trying to move to a new stadium a few times.

We look doomed by my god what a poor team Newcastle are, that second goal they conceded to Ulloa was laughable. Yet VT constantly tells me Newcastle are amazing and have just played hard teams this season.

I'll give you five names why Newcastle will be down there for most of the season. Elliot-Janmatt- Coloccini-Mbema-Dummett.

Awful defensive unit, liability against any opposition that has pace upfront. Shame we don't have any.

Edit: I was actually up in Newcastle last week and had a read of the Chronicle to read what their fans were thinking. Their letters page was full of fans saying they couldn't wait to sell Sissoko in January as they claim he's the most overrated player they've had in years.

Edited by VillaChris

Just thought I'd posted rival teams fixtures up to Boxing day to give perspective:

Sunderland

Palace (a), Stoke (H), Arsenal (a), Watford (h), Chelsea (a), Man. City (a)

Bournemouth 

Everton (h), Chelsea (a), Man. United (h), West Brom (a) Palace (h)

Newcastle

Palace (a), Liverpool (h), Spurs (a), Us (home), Everton (h)

Norwich

Arsenal (h), Watford (a), Everton (h), Man. United (a) Spurs (a)

Swansea 

Liverpool (a), Leicester (h), Man. City (a) West Brom (h), West Ham (h)

So when you look at that, Swansea probably have the best run and they're furthest away so I'd rule them out. All of them have very tough away games.

If we're still 4-5 points adrift of some clubs going into the new year we have no chance imo.

46 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We look doomed by my god what a poor team Newcastle are, that second goal they conceded to Ulloa was laughable. Yet VT constantly tells me Newcastle are amazing and have just played hard teams this season.

I'll give you five names why Newcastle will be down there for most of the season. Elliot-Janmatt- Coloccini-Mbema-Dummett.

Awful defensive unit, liability against any opposition that has pace upfront. Shame we don't have any.

Edit: I was actually up in Newcastle last week and had a read of the Chronicle to read what their fans were thinking. Their letters page was full of fans saying they couldn't wait to sell Sissoko in January as they claim he's the most overrated player they've had in years.

Yep I was wrong about Newcastle. They are a shambles. However I think they have much more going forward than us which is why they'll stay up.

quite a few teams struggling at the moment, we need to beat our relegation rivals, starting next week with Watford.

However, the most concerning thing is that we look so far away from other in terms of physicality - we are small, constantly outmuscled, and 2 yards slower than pretty much every other team. We don't put the yards in on the pitch (i believe out of all teams we have the lowest distance covered per match by far).

poor players in poor form but working hard and coping physically at least give you a chance to scrap out some results. 

• Like 2

We had a small chance of staying up before this game, and we still have a small chance of staying up. It might be about 3% less, statistically. But it's a surprise to see so many people have decided that game was the moment we lost it. The game against Watford has always felt like it was going to be a watershed one way or the other, and for me, that remains true. If we get anything less than a win from that it becomes extremely difficult, bearing in mind the following two fixtures as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We had a small chance of staying up before this game, and we still have a small chance of staying up. It might be about 3% less, statistically. But it's a surprise to see so many people have decided that game was the moment we lost it. The game against Watford has always felt like it was going to be a watershed one way or the other, and for me, that remains true. If we get anything less than a win from that it becomes extremely difficult, bearing in mind the following two fixtures as well. 

I think it's the manner of the performance rather than the lack of points gained that's made today a bit of tipping point for a lot of people. We didn't look like we were in the game, either in a sporting sense, or mentally. Watford might be different, a different kind of pressure, but there was nothing in the performances of the two teams today (and I watched both games) that suggests we've got much hope against Watford.

• Like 1

To be honest, Watford were pretty shit for 90% of their game, they're hardly world-beaters and they may well slip down the table a lot of the coming months. They're better than us, I'm not denying that, but ultimately we have to beat bottom-half teams when we play them at home, there's simply no other way out of this. 

But yeah, I take your point, we were absolutely appalling so it's hard to be positive. I've got us at about a 20-25% chance of surviving right now, but it's diminishing rapidly. 

If we can't beat Watford then I'll start preparing myself for the inevitable. If we do (I appreciate how huge that if is) then 4 points from the last three games would be an acceptable return. 

It's bad though, real **** bad, I think even Derby in THAT season had more points than us at this stage.

Edited by flamingsombrero

3 hours ago, tinker said:

They have an owner that cares, seeing Doug in the stands today made me feel a bit sad that he wasn't a wealthier man......UTV

I get the impression that had Ellis been wealthier he still would've been just as stingy.

We still have a chance. As someone who have put the games till the new year. I think one big result yesterday was Swansea drawing. Bournmouth have big game to come. Swansea are still in a freefall.

If we somehow won against Watford. Things would look much more better. Other teams would be in a real pressure.

We need to win 3 games. Against Watford Newcastle and Norwich. If we did then we still have a good chance. Under Lambert weve only won 4 games also. And havent won again till february.

The lack of goals and physicalty is really an issue.

It's all confidence. They have none. Dare I say upto the Leicester match we were actually playing quite well in most games. After that and a few more losses.. They just look a shadow of their former selves. Not sure we can get it back in time to survive. A win against Watford will start it hopefully 

We are down. Worst possible season to go down. Our days as Pride of The Midlands are gone. Albion , Stoke and now even Leicester are better than us. All prem clubs next season and dont bet against Blues joining them. With all the big money coming in next season. Us and Wolves, traditionally the 2 biggest clubs in the area, will be Championship clubs - and not coming back any time soon. Who is to blame for years of decline? I haven't QUITE given up all hope just yet but I am trying to get ready for it.  I just feel so very sad about it but then I have to think , in the grand scheme of what is happening in the world we are living in today, it is nothing really I guess. 

Â