Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

13 hours ago, Mantis said:

So you think we won't get 7 more points between now and the end of the season? I'm sorry but that's absurd. There's being realistic (we're unlikely to stay up obviously) and then there's just being unrealistically negative.

Mantis I absolutely understand why you say that but I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility. The fact that is possible is a disgrace 

I will still have my claret and blue tinted glasses on if we beat Watford and the little faith I have will remain.

however from the outside looking in and if it was any other club we would say "they're down".

we have Micah Richards as captain playing at CB. Back from injury in a position he has never played regularly.

we have Kieran Richardson as first choice left back. A man Fulham got rid of.

we have a Gestede a one dimensional player never proven in the prem as our only proper striker.

ciaran Clark is currently our best centre back. Ciaran Clark.

we have a bunch of midfielders who have no prem experience. Not one who we could afford to carry but a whole bunch.

im trying to believe we will stay up but when I keep thinking these facts I know deep down its pure blind faith.

what a mess.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Just for a bit of perspective, due to results yesterday, it's still as you were the same situation we faced pre match.

It's one game less though. Very soon new year will be here and if we're not careful the task will look monumental.

9 wins in 25 games, christ even typing that looks ridiculous given how we've looked this season. Even that will be border line as that will take us up to 32 points. I assume we could draw another 4-5 games so 37 points might just be enough.

We just need to win a game very soon and suddenly things start looking possible again.

• Like 1

When Sherwood came in we had a win ratio of 5 wins in 9 premier league games from March 2nd (West Brom) to May 8th (West Ham). So in two months we won 5 league games.

We will need that at some stage this season to give us even a chance so if Remi is as good as you're all telling me on here...

Or maybe it's suddenly dawning on a few the squad we have here is totally ill-equipped for winning premier league games and we are f***k without Benteke.

I'm a bit scared. I just can't contemplate us being in the Championship. Ever since I've started following us, we have always been one of of the teams that you'd expect to be competitive in this league, it's never really crossed my mind that we may end up being relegated. I'd like to think that we would come straight back up at the first time of asking, but multiple teams have gone down in recent years and have never recovered. 

But I really can't see a way back from here. I thought we recruited well in the summer and I was a firm believer that we have a decent squad - how wrong was I. The defence looks solid on paper but they just seem to capitulate when under any sort of pressure. The midfield are surely one of the worst in the league, Veretout is obviously not up to it, Gana looks like he can't be bothered and Westwood is too lightweight even though he tries his hardest. Ayew looks good but can't play up front on his own and Gestede is not good enough to partner him. 

The only way I can see us staying up is proper investment in January, and that's not going to happen. 

For the last few years we've all probably thought at some that it wod be best for the club to go and rebuild. Typical villa though to go down the season before all the TV money increases. Don't even see us beating Watford, Deeney is bound to score.

I think we've got the worst squad in the league. Poor GK, Kieran Richardson a Fulham reject at lb. A rb who thinks he is too good for us at cb. Cairan Clark. Bang average right backs like Hutton and Bacuna. Pathetic lightweight midfield which is not capable of scoring or creating goals. We also have the worst attack in the league. Our only striker is Rudy Gestede. A one season wonder in the championship. In the summer we got rid of the only real quality in our team. Benteke, Delph and a match fit Vlaar. We have failed to replace them and there is only one outcome when even those players finished 17th last season. Relegation

I think on current form we are going to go down ,we will improve under Garde but it will take time the question is will there be enough of a improvement to keep us up ?We need to stay as close as we can to other teams until Jan the players we sign then will decide our fate GK a LB priorities.

9 hours ago, Mantis said:

I get the impression that had Ellis been wealthier he still would've been just as stingy.

You are probably right, but he got more value for his pound than Randy does for his.

HDE for all his faults was there all the time and monitored and challenged on a daily basis, he instilled discipline within the organisation.....He also made it his business to poke his nose in to every football corner and appoint people like Steve stride who knew what he was doing.....we made mistakes then, but not nearly so consistently as we do now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

£30m + needs to be spent in Jan in order for us to have a fighting chance.

You missed a bit out, between spent and in......."wisely"

• Like 1

For the first time I actually think we're down this time. We should be making preparations to get out of the championship as of now, the January window will need to reflect that. We should be sounding out Garde to see if he's up for the challenge of getting us back in to the premier league. 

Whilst 1.2/1.3 points a game *shouldn't* be beyond us I see no signs that it's actually acheivable. We look awful, and awfully ****.

Â