Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

24 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Nobody is assuming it, promotion is next season's one and only target - whether we get it or not.

Staying in the division is the only target!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyh said:

Could some tactical thinking come into play next weekend?

Newcastle would be a serious threat in the championship next season, so would we be better off if they weren't relegated?

I doubt it, if they were to get relegated we will be at different ends of the championship next season anyway

I think that they will survive. They have the momentum at the moment and I think they will kick on in the last two games. I think it will be Sunderland and Norwich. In a way that is good as we will definitely be the big club down there next season so we *should* get the pick of the players. 

on the negative side, it does mean that we will be the big club down there so the focus will be on us, and we will be everyone's cup final. If Newcastle had gone down as well, like it or not, the focus would have been them, not us, which would have allowed us to go under the radar a little.

Why does everyone want Norwich down...they came straight back up last time! They're a club used to going up and coming down and going up so I'd say they would be just as threat as Newcastle.

Sunderland would be interesting...would Big Sam stay? What sort of squad would they have aswell as likes of Kirchoff, Kone and Khazari have all played well since joining in January so they'd be interested in them here and abroad.

Norwich will be able to retain a lot of their playing staff, with the odd exception who may get picked off and I can imagine their wage bill will be manageable in the Championship.

Both Newcastle and Sunderland have players on big wages (a bit like us) and would need to do a lot of shifting around, which could unsettle the balance of their respective squads.

However, the thought of Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa all in the Championship would be horrendous for all concerned. Three massive teams, that everyone will want to beat.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Norwich will be able to retain a lot of their playing staff, with the odd exception who may get picked off and I can imagine their wage bill will be manageable in the Championship.

Both Newcastle and Sunderland have players on big wages (a bit like us) and would need to do a lot of shifting around, which could unsettle the balance of their respective squads.

However, the thought of Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa all in the Championship would be horrendous for all concerned. Three massive teams, that everyone will want to beat.

Yes and I wonder who would be the one to crack under that pressure I wonder? 

• Like 4

Isn't this season over yet?

Think best case scenario is Newcastle and Sunderland to come down. Both will have players on bigger wages than Norwich and will either have to go all out for promotion or have a mini clear out. Can't see either manager staying with them either.

Either way.... We really need to get our asses in gear and start preparing. The advantage of being relegated early and having the heads start for next season is nearly run out

Didn't know where to put this. Here seemed like as good a place as any.

I think there should be a 'lap of appreciation' this year. I think at the end of the Newcastle game, the players should stand in a line by the tunnel and clap out the under 21's and watch as they do the lap.

Mocking the senior team aside, the under 21's have had an amazing season and we should have a chance to acknowledge and applaud that. It's also a show of "it's been an awful season but this is the future".

The senior team don't deserve a lap, but the under 21's do, and I for one would love a chance to congratulate them on what they've achieved.

• Like 2

On 02/05/2016 at 10:00, VillaChris said:

Why does everyone want Norwich down...they came straight back up last time! They're a club used to going up and coming down and going up so I'd say they would be just as threat as Newcastle.

Sunderland would be interesting...would Big Sam stay? What sort of squad would they have aswell as likes of Kirchoff, Kone and Khazari have all played well since joining in January so they'd be interested in them here and abroad.

Big Sam is on about retiring if Sunderland go down, he must be in his early 60's now and trying to keep up these shit clubs must be bloody stressful. 

He'll be disapppointed to lose his never relegated from prem status I think.

That said if he wants to continue he'd be a very viable late contender for the job here, he did join West Ham when they were in the second tier in 2011.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by how Sunderland played when I saw them v Arsenal a few weeks back, 1st half they were typically long ball but second half they got it on the ground and played some very good stuff indeed and should've got some goals, similar to what we watched under MON anyway.

Aren't Newcastle supposedly fooked if they go down? I'm sure the paper's were reporting that Ashley used up their transfer funds in January and that players on big bucks don't have relegation clauses. 

10 hours ago, villarocker said:

Aren't Newcastle supposedly fooked if they go down? I'm sure the paper's were reporting that Ashley used up their transfer funds in January and that players on big bucks don't have relegation clauses. 

Ashley has a net worth of somewhere between 3 & 4 Billion so sure he could fund a season or twos worth of wages if needed

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 22:43, VillaChris said:

He'll be disapppointed to lose his never relegated from prem status I think.

That said if he wants to continue he'd be a very viable late contender for the job here, he did join West Ham when they were in the second tier in 2011.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by how Sunderland played when I saw them v Arsenal a few weeks back, 1st half they were typically long ball but second half they got it on the ground and played some very good stuff indeed and should've got some goals, similar to what we watched under MON anyway.

Ive never really understood the "Allardyce long ball merchant" tag.............. over the years hes had players like Okocha, Djorkaeff, Hierro etc............. wouldn't call them lump it merchants !

2 hours ago, Adbo9 said:

Ive never really understood the "Allardyce long ball merchant" tag.............. over the years hes had players like Okocha, Djorkaeff, Hierro etc............. wouldn't call them lump it merchants !

Even with those Bolton would always look to hit Kevin Davies as soon as possible so it was very much long ball there. At Blackburn I thought he played a worse style of football than McLeish at SHA and here.

But at West Ham and now Sunderland he's been much more adaptable. 

Never understood why people would turn their noses up at Big Sam and Pulis when in last 5 years we've consistently played the worst football in the league bar a decent 6 months under Lambert and a few good games this time last year under Sherwood. 

• Like 1

at Bolton Big Sam had Okocha but he also had Okocha pumping in long throws

His football is not exciting compared to MON long ball but its a lot more attacking than Pulis

Â