Matija Šarkić

Danwichmann

8 minutes ago, striker said:

Maybe bringing him back to go straight into the first team ahead of Nyland?

Not a chance. Nyland is actually a decent keeper, not a patch on Heaton but a very capable back up.

• Like 1

I’m in the camp that I understand why he’s come back, but also a bit gutted for him. He’s been superb up there, even got an international call up. A full season on loan getting good game time in a physical league, could make him our number one for years to come. And to think last season he played against my local team Halesowen whilst on loan at Stratford.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’m in the camp that I understand why he’s come back, but also a bit gutted for him. He’s been superb up there, even got an international call up. A full season on loan getting good game time in a physical league, could make him our number one for years to come. And to think last season he played against my local team Halesowen whilst on loan at Stratford.

I think if Kalinic doesn't leave we can send him on loan again late in the windoe especially as Steer be nearly recovered 

I don't necessarily think this is the case, it's certainly not something we'd have experienced at Villa before, but this could be a clever bit of tactical gamesmanship in transfer negotiations or, at worst, a sensible back up if all else fails.

We can show the clubs of keepers we're interested in that we aren't over a barrel in terms of needing their player which strengthens our negotiating stance. If successful then Sarkic goes back Livingston. Yes, it's a bit like using him like a pawn but it is a possible clever tactic. And of course if all falls through we're not left high and dry.

Of course it's much more likely it's Nyland and Sarkic for the rest of the season!

7 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I get this but on the other hand if he’s our number two keeper for the rest of the season that may also result in him breaking through here - those opportunities are hard to come by for goalkeepers. He’s had the benefit of half a season on loan, now let’s let Cutler and Smith have a closer look at him and see how close to being ready they think he is. As others have said, he can go out on loan again Jan 31 if we feel we have enough cover at that point.

7 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Of course it's much more likely it's Nyland and Sarkic for the rest of the season!

I think we'll move Kalinic on during this window, but he'll be number two until he goes and then Steer is due back at the end of February (I think) so I think it'll only be Nyland and Sarkic for about four weeks!

45 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we'll move Kalinic on during this window, but he'll be number two until he goes and then Steer is due back at the end of February (I think) so I think it'll only be Nyland and Sarkic for about four weeks!

Four weeks but I think it’s 7 games! Not all PL though so obviously some lower priority.

edit: it’s 7 games from now until 1st Feb (including the game on 1/2/20) ... seems a lot but only 4 PL games.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Spray said:

Not a chance. Nyland is actually a decent keeper, not a patch on Heaton but a very capable back up.

What do you base this second sentence on? 90% of a game against Wolves when we lost 2-1 and he barely made any saves, along with 15 minutes against Burnley where he made a good catch?

Or half a season of the worst goalkeeping performances most of us have ever seen?

I'm not saying it's not true and that behind a decent defence he won't be better, but I really have no idea why people have suddenly become so confident in him.

EDIT: Also the Liverpool cup game. I don't remember how he was in that—some good saves, sure, but it's not really the game to be making opinions on.

• Like 1

Seen him play twice live this season and once on the telly and he looks capable and will be a good back up. Distribution and positioning were good. When Livi beat Celtic he played really well  and looked confident when dealing with Eduoard et al.......not easy up here. Livi are really disappointed at the news which tells you they thought highly of him.

Difference would be how he'd cope in front of 60k at Old Trafford say, as opposed to a couple of thousand at the Tony Macaroni stadium. ( except when the uglies come calling)

Good luck to him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think if Kalinic doesn't leave we can send him on loan again late in the windoe especially as Steer be nearly recovered 

At which point Livingston might have sorted themselves out with a No.1

It is hard for a young keeper to get games and this was ideal. As tempting as it is I would not have recalled him.

Difficult for Livi and they will have to rely on another loan from somewhere. They have Ross Stewart who knows the Scottish game but not as good as Sarkic.

Expect they will be looking at a loan from English Leagues as we speak.

Edited by newhavenhibby

9 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Guess he can go back out on loan somewhere now, that was a bit pointless wasn't it?

Yeah it's an odd one, he deserves to be playing, that's how young players get better. 

We moan that our players don't play when on loan, we get one getting game time and we recall. 

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

So why the f*ck did we recall him? Even before Reina we had Nyland and Kalinic. Now we have Reina, Nyland, Sarkic, and Steer is due back soon. Ruining his career with our stupid decisions. 

Because at the time we only had nyland and want to get rid of kalinic. Needs of the club comes before the needs if the players

Â