Matija Šarkić

Danwichmann

Šarkić hasn't even made a first team appearance, Adama and Gueye were players that we paid a lot of money for, and most were disappointed that we'd lost Gueye as he was one of the few players that performed well in our relegation season. Šarkić may well go on to have a good career away from Villa but him going to Wolves potentially, is a situation more akin to Mitch Clark and Viktor Johansson going to Leicester - neither of whom have made a first team appearance and both are out of contract, I don't point that out to rubbish them or to suggest that Šarkić would meet the same fate, but just to show that our youngsters leaving us and becoming the best player in the league isn't really typical, think also of the last youngster that left us for Wolves, Jordan Graham.

Edited by useless

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

For every Adama and Gueye there is a Helenius, a Kozak, a Bacuna or a Carles Gil.

To be fair mate, the likes of Helenius and Bacuna were simply no pot to piss in gambles.

The likes of Adama and Gueye were more "Moneyball" stats etc acquisitions.

Calculated risk is much different from "Can't afford any better" type risk. lol

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair mate, the likes of Helenius and Bacuna were simply no pot to piss in gambles.

The likes of Adama and Gueye were more "Moneyball" stats etc acquisitions.

Calculated risk is much different from "Can't afford any better" type risk. lol

Yeah, that’s fair mate. I just meant that most players are something of a gamble when they’re young/unproven, but you’re right.

• Like 1

On 09/06/2020 at 17:28, useless said:

Had a look on Molineux mix to see what they make of the link and there's a poll on there asking who they'd rather win in our game against Sheffield United, why on earth would they need to ask that question.

Since football got invented in 2018 they now think we are rivals 😂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Look what happened with Adama and Gueye. Players we deemed not good enough.

I know some on here rated them but many didn't.

Gueye left because Everton came in for him despite us wanting him to stay. Same as Adama, we wanted him to stay but Boro came in for him  in the Prem and off he went. Not quite as black and white as you're trying to paint.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, peterw said:

Gueye left because Everton came in for him despite us wanting him to stay. Same as Adama, we wanted him to stay but Boro came in for him  in the Prem and off he went. Not quite as black and white as you're trying to paint.

Adama refused to play vs Rotherham and we swapped him for Adomah

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Adama refused to play vs Rotherham and we swapped him for Adomah

It wasn’t one of our best moves, although saying that,  Adomah was outstanding for us in 17/18

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

15 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

It wasn’t one of our best moves, although saying that,  Adomah was outstanding for us in 17/18

At the time it was. Adama was showing no signs of the player he has become, and Adomah was excellent for us.

2 hours ago, peterw said:

At the time it was. Adama was showing no signs of the player he has become, and Adomah was excellent for us.

In my opinion, you could see that Adama had a lot of potential, he just needed a bit of fine tuning. You could never fault Adomah’s effort, he always gave 100%, he was outstanding for us in 17/18

true enough. it was part of the bigger Aston Villa problem that beset us from O'Neill's tenure onwards; namely that there seemed to very little coaching in trying to bring players through into the first-team.

19 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

It was. Traore had promise but was ridiculously raw and he wasn't going to stay when we got relegated. Had we been properly run and stayed up I would agree with you. As usual we bought at the wrong time.

Albert is/was a good championship player and served us well for 3 seasons. In fact I would say he was one of better signings in the last 5 years. He was our top scorer one year?

I can't comment on Sarkic but we have a lot of keepers and Cutler is a well regarded coach so I trust his opinions.

• 1 month later...
Â