• Poor
    • Very Poor
  2. 2. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

Good result. Happy with the fact that we look like we've now got players capable of playing football. As it stands, looks like Sherwood's first transfer window has been a success. Looking forward to what this team can do after they've played a few more games together and with Gil & Grealish playing as well. 

Dropped into the match thread at half time, there are some right drama queens in there. Anyone would think we were relegated at half time.

This team will take time to bed in. Not sure about Gabby central, think Sinclair would have done a better job in there. Ayew struggled a bit and first half we were a little lethargic which was disappointing. We did look pretty good at the back although still desperate at times.

We knew it would take a while for this team to gel, good to get a result when we are still early in that process

• Like 2

When we played Bournemouth the other year they completely outplayed us for the first 45 mins, that didn't really happen at any point today even though we were fortunate to go in level.

Good performances from several players, I think the only real disappointments were Ayew and Sinclair, although he did well defensively first half.

Gueye was brilliant in the second half. Was everywhere.

Amavi looked fabulous also but probably needs to settle a bit and learn when to take the obvious option.

That goal from Rudy was written in the stars.

We lacked a link between midfield and forward today, but that will come when Grealish and/or Gil return.

That defence will get absolutely slaughtered against Man Utd next week. Richards and Clark are brilliant in the air but as soon as it hits the deck we look like headless chickens in the box. Bacuna was badly exposed by Gradel when he came on and given neither he nor Richards is particularly sound position-wise it could be an achilles heel for us.

Great start to the season though and I can't wait to see this lot carve up Sunderland's geriatric incompetent defence in a few weeks.

• Like 1

32% thought that was a poor performance and 16% very poor!

Christ knows how you would have marked it if we'd lost.

And I'm assuming this 48% have had brainfades and totally forgotten just how dire we were last season.

• Like 1

Well for a newly molded team to get the win away at the best side in the championship is exceptional.

Erm, clam down mate.

Without getting carried away (we won away on the opening day of the last couple of seasons too) I think that as the season progresses and Bournemouth start to pick up some scalps at home, we will look back at this result and think yeah, we've done pretty well there. Especially considering the work-in-progress nature of the current rebuild.

32% thought that was a poor performance and 16% very poor!

Christ knows how you would have marked it if we'd lost.

And I'm assuming this 48% have had brainfades and totally forgotten just how dire we were last season.

Overall it was a poor performance which is even more satisfying that we won. We can only get better.

I think it's obvious that Sherwood told the players to sit back in the first half. We all expected Bournemouth to fly out the traps, really being on a high from their promotion but it never really happened and I think it was right for us to be cautious and slow the pace of the game. By half time we could see that Bournemouth weren't particularly doing what we thought, so it was time to turn it on and in the end we got it right.

I'm positive because looking at the lack of quality in the teams around us (Norwich, Sunderland etc) we've brought in a much higher quality of players than the Lambert era and if we keep a fairly fit squad together we should have enough this season to win these sort of games and have a fairly comfortable season.

Edited by nobler
  • Like 2

Â