• Poor
    • Very Poor
  2. 2. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

Little drunk now (and trying to conceal this from the wife), and I don't think it's just because of this fact that I feel my optimism reinvigorated. This was a tricky game. AFCB played at a high tempo, they have inter-playing pairs down both wings and a settled team that's used to winning and we played them in their own back yard on the biggest day in their history. I think their sheer energy overwhelmed us at times, which I admit you never like to see as a team with decent ambitions, but we stood up to it, rode our luck and I don't think anyone could begrudge us victory on the balance.

It may be the strong French lager talking, but I have a feeling we'll see this Villa side grow together and have an enjoyable and comfortable season. I also think AFCB might end up stopping up.

Anyway... Ashes won, Villa won... I'm gonna continue supping my Pelforth and savouring the day :)

• Like 1

Pretty much every "expert" said we would lose. I didn't see a single one say we would win. 

That is a pretty good reason to media bash.

I haven't seen any of the game yet so I can't say if we were pretty poor or not. But I would take playing pretty poor and winning 1-0 every week

Saying this, and then saying "good reason to bash" is lol.

I would say pundits were pretty spot on. Run a sim on this game over 1000 times, and i bet we would lose more than we win. We looked so so poor majority of the game.

Again. stop thinking results orientated on one game whether to media bash or not.

Wow, good thing for us football isn't governed by a set of algorithms.

Do we now have to accept that football fans judge all in stats, potential FUT ratings, how someone performed when they bought them on FM etc etc etc

Honestly I'm both bored and sick of it but if this is the new world then maybe I'm the problem rather than the solution?

What you on about? nobody is using FM stats or w/e. Youve got what im talking about confused with what other nonsense people are talking.

fans/people should look at what the "true value" of a performance is when trying to prove something. If the true value of a performance is in line with what the media/bookies predicted then thats just proving them right. Us winning when they were the better side and deserved to at least draw is not "proving the media/bookies wrong". Thats results orientated thinking (short term thinking). Dont get me wrong, fantastic 3 points. But we did no way prove bookies/media wrong by being on the right side of variance today

or, slightly OT: If youre judging the result of an action as a success by the actual result and not by the true expected result of that action, your logic is flawed.. Or to throw a simple example to make that point. If i bet on the lottery which has odds of 1221322234234 to 1 of winning. But my return is only £300 and i managed to win  this 1 time. Have i "proved the odds wrong" by winning this one time? Now carry same logic to whether we "proved the media/bookies wrong"

Edited by gharperr

I'll certainly take that. First half, we weren't up to a great deal and struggled to find any kind of attacking rythm. As half time approached, the hosts looked the more potent threat. Second half started brightly, pushing more men in front of the ball and the boys looked like they were finally clicking a little bit. When Rudy put us in front with an excellent header, I felt like we deserved a goal. From then on in it was a matter of holding on to the three points and I felt we defended our area excellently. Both Richards and Clark have been mentioned by many as MOTM, and it is hard to argue with that.

Really happy with that, and I'll remain cautiously optimistic about our season.

glad we got the 3 points. But please stop with media bashing lol

Yeah those poor media guys need all of the protection they can get from all of these harsh words. Stop it you lot!

• Like 2

Yeah those poor media guys need all of the protection they can get from all of these harsh words. Stop it you lot!

yes because thats exactly why i was saying it....zzzzz.  Not because of the flaws of the reasoning behind it.

ill stop now because it seems you guys aint getting it but w/e. 

wp villa :)

Edited by gharperr

I agreed with the managers assessment. 

I thought for the first 25 minutes we did a good job of taking any potential sting out of the game. But we needed one of the midfield 3 to push on a bit more, or perhaps Ayew to drop into the gap, which he did on a couple of occasions but got little support from the midfielde who all seemed to be doing the same job and he was unable to take advantage, with a consistently poor Sinclair who absolutely refused to come inside and a below par first half performance from Gabby ahead. We sat further and further back as Bournemouth looked to take advantage and give credit to the home side, they almost did. They can feel unfortunate to not go in 1-0 up, but welcome to the premier league. If you don't take your chances expect it to come bite you in the ass.

Bite it did.

We were MUCH better after the break. Gana in particular was immense, he was absolutely everywhere doing absolutely every thing. He's a proper midfielder that lad. The overlap down the left from Amavi in particular gave them a real headache whilst all over the pitch our movement improved ten fold. The back line pushed up, the midfield ran beyond, we worked the channels via Gabby and completely dominated the middle of the park. You could see the lift in all of them and for about 20 minutes there Bournemouth must have felt like they had been hit by a train. The goal almost felt inevitable. Enter Rudy...

Big shout out for Veretout who isn't generating too much chatter. Whilst he faded fast, I thought he was consistently excellent. Every time he touched the ball I was impressed by his poise, balance and technique. 

MOTM - Richards. Captain Unit. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

We need to step it up against United, Bournemouth looked sharper in their passing. Still lacked that flair and creativity. Can't wait for Gil and Grealish to come, hope we get an Adama Traore type in and another striker to play off Gestede

yes because thats exactly why i was saying it....zzzzz. Not because of the flaws of the reasoning behind it.

ill stop now because it seems you guys aint getting it but w/e.

wp villa :)

Can you ever troll without having to edit every post?

The game went as I expected, with so many new players it's going to take time gel.

Some good performances though, I thought Richards was excellent at CH.

I'm not sure what Ayew's roll was, he looked lost but he looks like a talented player so they'll work it out.

Ashes and a Villa win, if only the Eagles had of won it would've been a perfect day :)

Pretty much every "expert" said we would lose. I didn't see a single one say we would win.

That is a pretty good reason to media bash.

I haven't seen any of the game yet so I can't say if we were pretty poor or not. But I would take playing pretty poor and winning 1-0 every week

Saying this, and then saying "good reason to bash" is lol.

I would say pundits were pretty spot on. Run a sim on this game over 1000 times, and i bet we would lose more than we win. We looked so so poor majority of the game.

Again. stop thinking results orientated on one game whether to media bash or not.

Wow, good thing for us football isn't governed by a set of algorithms.

Do we now have to accept that football fans judge all in stats, potential FUT ratings, how someone performed when they bought them on FM etc etc etc

Honestly I'm both bored and sick of it but if this is the new world then maybe I'm the problem rather than the solution?

What you on about? nobody is using FM stats or w/e. Youve got what im talking about confused with what other nonsense people are talking.

fans/people should look at what the "true value" of a performance is when trying to prove something. If the true value of a performance is in line with what the media/bookies predicted then thats just proving them right. Us winning when they were the better side and deserved to at least draw is not "proving the media/bookies wrong". Thats results orientated thinking (short term thinking). Dont get me wrong, fantastic 3 points. But we did no way prove bookies/media wrong by being on the right side of variance today

or, slightly OT: If youre judging the result of an action as a success by the actual result and not by the true expected result of that action, your logic is flawed.. Or to throw a simple example to make that point. If i bet on the lottery which has odds of 1221322234234 to 1 of winning. But my return is only £300 and i managed to win this 1 time. Have i "proved the odds wrong" by winning this one time? Now carry same logic to whether we "proved the media/bookies wrong"

Turn it in mate. Jesus.

• Like 4

Good result. Playing away to a newly promoted side in the first match of the season is a potential banana skin. We have avoided it and have a much needed 3 point advantage over our relegation rivals.

• Like 1

Great result for us, I had the slightly surreal experience of sunbathing on Bournemouth beach listening to the game yesterday (it was just coincidence that I was down here the same weekend). Nice to see lots of Villa shirts and happy fans around the town last night too.

As for the game I take a lot of comfort in the getting three points against a background of it being very early days for this squad and Tim on his own admission recognises that. I don't think we missed the Snake in anyway and arguably our midfield looked much stronger and more balanced. Really pleased for Rudy to score on his debut too. As the players get used to each other and systems and partnerships develop I can see us developing into a much better side.

That will be very pleasing against usual background of the media putting the boot in to Villa pre season. Seemingly Beneteke is now ten times the player he was for us now he is at Liverpool and we are toast without him. In the Janet and John school of football journalism Tim gets not credit for who he has signed and its impossible to better 17 place in the League apparently.

This bias continued into the media w**kfest ahead of the Bournemouth game where basically we were seen as the latest victims for this wonderful Bournemouth side. Bournemouth have been my 'second side' ever since we starting coming down her so I have followed them through their lows and more recent highs and they performed exactly as I expected. They will be very competitive and attacking and the Vitality Stadium (aka Dean Court) will be a difficult place to come to as its so small and intimidating. Having said that they will struggle against well organised premiership sides and they will be defensively naive.

Try telling that to the likes of Lawrenson who can never say a good word about us. Anyway rant over but I think we will see much better football this season, still the usual highs and lows but overall moving in the right direction.

• Like 1

The media would have loved it if Bournemouth had beaten us, would have completed their story perfectly.

Unfortunately for them we ruined the party and it was ironic that it was an ex-Championship player that beat them in the end

Very promising performance, some brilliant individual play from Amavi and Gana in particular. They are still getting used to each other so sometimes not quite linking up, but the new boys look very technically proficient so I don't think this will be a problem.

Good performance for the first game of the season and exciting times ahead.

Â