Adama Traore

mwj

I think Barcelona let him go because of these reasons so its clearly a flaw in his game but one I would expect to improve as he gets more experienced.

So I am not that worried about him being selfish (YET). If he creates two big chances in a game then it is worth it.

What I would like to see is more intelligent movement without the ball and I am sure this is something Tim is trying to drill into him. A number of times on Saturday he was coming short to get the ball sometimes five feet from Hutton with a full back stood next to him.

He clearly had the pace to worry Moreno (which in itself is astounding as Moreno is incredibly quick himself) but he should have been offering the run in behind which would have stretched the game, given Hutton more options and if he'd have got the ball to him put Traore in a 1v1 with Moreno rather than having to also beat Lucas and probably another 2 after that.

If it didnt already happen at la Masia I would sit Traore down and force him to watch every game Pedro has ever played. We need that electric running off the ball and for him to get the ball in the right areas so when he does beat his man (which he will every time) he is in on goal or creating a chance rather than having to move mountains by taking on half the team from the half way line.

Edited by villaglint

Ha, great post. Reminds me of Casano type attitude, in interviews he said loads of times he hated training and made it obvious that was the case, hated tactics lectures too, basically saying just give me the ball and let me play and I'll do something special. Not surprising in the modern game he rubbed so many up the wrong way. 

It must be weird to know you can at any time possibly do something that no-one else on the pitch is capable of anticipating or stopping. Very rare too.

Some players adjust to the footballing culture in the UK, they embrace it, they're happy enough to slog their guts out at Bescot on a Monday night. 

Adama isn't one of those. I've just seen one of the most disinterested performances I've ever witnessed. Every time he got the ball he come to life, but when he didn't have it, he may as well have got the paper out. I heard a player in the clear shout "Adama....Adama...ADAMAAAA!" in the hope of getting a pass in the first half and one cry out "Pass the f***king thing!" in exasperation. I hope he doesn't completely understand a Scottish accent, as I'm not sure Kevin MacDonald was overly pleased.

And yet, in the second half for five minutes where he looked briefly interested, he made half a dozen runs and suddenly looked different to everyone else on the pitch., beating people for fun. They can work all they like, he knows it's the reserves and he know that if he wants to, he can be something that none of the others can. It's not the most 'British' thing, but there's something both amusing and a little awing about it.

He was rubbish for the reserves tonight.

He's brilliant.

If I were the management I'd have said to him "Look, we're sending you out to get match fit. FFS don't make fools of them or they'll kick shit out of you and you'll be injured again. Just stay out there for 90 is all we want"

Maybe they did, or he decided to anyway :)

We have three, what I would call, luxury players at the moment in Traore, Gil and Grealish. Three players with bags of talent but limited graft. These players are hard to find but even the best teams struggle to accommodate them individually, never mind all three. The problem with these players is it's like playing with ten men for a majority of the match and hoping that, if they feel like it today, they may spark to life for 15mins and singlehandly swing the game in our favour. That's fine if you can go toe to toe with the opposition whilst they amble around uninterested but a big problem if every game is a battle to hold on like we have at the moment.

There's definitely an argument to play one of them. Grealish has the most scope to add graft to his game so is probably the obvious starter. Traore is probably the most talented but will never add graft due to that arrogant side that makes him lively, so unfortunately he has to be a sub until Villa improve.

It's a very annoying set of circumstances, but I fear that we have Traore at the wrong time. Have him during the MON years and we could afford to develop and witness his genius, but having him now is a luxury we can't afford - this season, at absolute best, is going to be about scraping and fighting for points and we can't afford any passengers. Traore is basically too good for us and knows it. We'd all love to see all three playing but realistically it makes us far too lightweight, far too gungho, and in this division you'll be slaughtered nine times out of ten for such 'bravery'.

• Like 2

We have three, what I would call, luxury players at the moment in Traore, Gil and Grealish. Three players with bags of talent but limited graft. These players are hard to find but even the best teams struggle to accommodate them individually, never mind all three. The problem with these players is it's like playing with ten men for a majority of the match and hoping that, if they feel like it today, they may spark to life for 15mins and singlehandly swing the game in our favour. That's fine if you can go toe to toe with the opposition whilst they amble around uninterested but a big problem if every game is a battle to hold on like we have at the moment.

There's definitely an argument to play one of them. Grealish has the most scope to add graft to his game so is probably the obvious starter. Traore is probably the most talented but will never add graft due to that arrogant side that makes him lively, so unfortunately he has to be a sub until Villa improve.

It's a very annoying set of circumstances, but I fear that we have Traore at the wrong time. Have him during the MON years and we could afford to develop and witness his genius, but having him now is a luxury we can't afford - this season, at absolute best, is going to be about scraping and fighting for points and we can't afford any passengers. Traore is basically too good for us and knows it. We'd all love to see all three playing but realistically it makes us far too lightweight, far too gungho, and in this division you'll be slaughtered nine times out of ten for such 'bravery'.

I think this is a really strong post, and overall I totally agree, but from what I've seen of Gil he doesn't fit the description.  His work rate seems high, he digs in, he chases.  Perhaps he doesn't have positional discipline, or maybe his movement is indifferent to the team\s overall shape, but I see a keen, energetic presence.  Is there something I'm missing, or do people see a different picture attending Villa Park itself?

• Like 1

Sorry but I don't think a player who strikes fear into the opposition is ever a luxury you can't afford. The more the better. The more fear, the more mistakes, the more goals.

Nice in theory. But if that's really the case then we should play Ayew, Gestede, Gabby, Sinclair, Traore, Gil, Grealish, Veretout, Amavi, Bacuna...oh and Guzan! Obviously it's ridiculous line up, but it's all about blend and I don't think we can afford three luxury type players. Players that are unlikely all to be firing on the same day, which means nine times out of ten you'll effectively be playing with nine men. Obviously that one time they are all firing will be great but scant consolation for finding ourselves with three points from every thirty available!

At the moment, with where we are in the pecking order, we need graft over luxury. We need the essentials done first and the sparkle added later. As Sherwood stated last season, you can have too many icing on the cake players and in Traore, Gil and Grealish we have that if playing at the same time.

Barcelona's modus operandi is 'pass and move' if they could not teach him to pass at La Masia can't see how Tim is going to drill it in to him. He is what he is, I don't think he goung to change that aspect of his game.

I think this is a really strong post, and overall I totally agree, but from what I've seen of Gil he doesn't fit the description.  His work rate seems high, he digs in, he chases.  Perhaps he doesn't have positional discipline, or maybe his movement is indifferent to the team\s overall shape, but I see a keen, energetic presence.  Is there something I'm missing, or do people see a different picture attending Villa Park itself?

Gil makes more tackles than people give him credit for. Yes he's a bit lightweight but he at least tries to get stuck in. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Agree with the above. This myth of Gil not tracking back and putting work in seems to come from when he was dropped last season. I think people assumed he didn't do that work to justify why Sherwood wasn't using him.

He does that as much as, if not more than, any of our other attackers.

• Like 4

Agree with the above. This myth of Gil not tracking back and putting work in seems to come from when he was dropped last season. I think people assumed he didn't do that work to justify why Sherwood wasn't using him.

He does that as much as, if not more than, any of our other attackers.

Yeah, CARLES GIL is an absolute hero for tracking back.  Might not be the most successful tackler ever, but he's a definite trier.

I think Traore is the opposite of this and it could be hugely frustrating until he "learns" (i.e: it's taken out of him).  He's interested when the ball is near/with him but that's it.  And rarely does he want to pass or give quick 1-2's.

He needs to improve his movement. Skinning a LB is not the only thing he should do. Making runs in behind them is just as devastating as well with his pace. He literally stands there until he gets the ball and then tries to take on the entire defence :lol: .

• Like 2

I've said elsewhere, but I don't expect ever to see all 3 of Gil, Grealish and Traore at the same time.  They are all young and will need looking after so should be rotated depending on form, fitness etc.  They will also have lumps kicked out of them by the more agricultural sides.

Ideally I would like to see 2 of them feature every time though, with the third on the bench.  We desperately need the spark they bring.

• Like 1

Gil, Grealish and Traore cannot all be in the same eleven. One of them has to miss out, as for Adama at wing back well that's bloody ridiculous. He has zero interest in defending anything

• Like 1

Gil, Grealish and Traore cannot all be in the same eleven. One of them has to miss out, as for Adama at wing back well that's bloody ridiculous. He has zero interest in defending anything

Once everyone has settled, I'd consider playing all 3 with Gueye and Veretout behind them in a central role.  I see no reason why this cannot happen.

• Like 1

Once everyone has settled, I'd consider playing all 3 with Gueye and Veretout behind them in a central role.  I see no reason why this cannot happen.

too lightweight, Grealish, Traore and Gil don't defend we would invite too much pressure

• Like 1

too lightweight, Grealish, Traore and Gil don't defend we would invite too much pressure

I think Gil and Grealish do defend a bit, certainly Gil.

Other teams simply don't have to play 7 more-defensive players.  Why do we?!

• Like 1

Â