Adama Traore

mwj

This is in affect a 3 year loan isn't it?

No.
I kind of is if they decide to by him back. Not that I'm bothered.
This is a team that decided it didn't need Sanchez, Pedro or fabregas in the last few years. No disrespect to Traore because I think he's going to be amazing, but I can't see him returning to Barcelona.
No but they can buy him back for 11 million just to sell him for 30 million year after to say man city

Just can't see them doing that. Has any club done that?

Real Madrid did it with Negredo few years ago

The most important thing is Sherwood has set up a dialogue with Barcelona. I mean yeah we want Adama to stay with us for as long as possible, but if Barcelona do want him back because he's improved tenfold then what's to say we can't get more deals like this. It seems like a win/win situation. Yes we have to pay upfront for the player that may not be Barcelona standard yet, but if he is we get our money back while benefiting from them for a couple seasons. If he isn't Barca standard then he's still likely better than any other player at our club so we got a player not quite Barcelona standard for a cut down price. It wouldn't surprise me if Sherwood does more things like this in the future. 

• Like 1

I agree but I think people have to realise that because they're at Barcelona doesn't mean they're Barcelona quality.

Their academy is good, and they can cherry pick from the majority of clubs, but they still take on a lot of young prospects and a lot simply don't make it.

Whilst I'm not playing Adama down, I know he was highly thought of there, we do need to be a little careful of always thinking that Barcelona squad player = world class. Just because their team is impossible to get into isn't a reason to immediately assume they'd get into any other team.

I'd be confident that Tim was more than a little careful.  Certainly the guy's physique suggests that he'd be at least able to mix it in the Prem.  You're right that Barca doesn't automatically equal success, but it's not a bad starting point either.  Let's judge him on his own merits.  I just think people need to stop thinking that Barca buying him back means putting him in their team.  It doesn't.  At worst (for us) it means them making a quick twist on a cheap purchase.

But let's enjoy it for now, eh? :)

• Like 1

As has been said before though, to make a profit he'd have to have seriously raised his value which means he'd have been fantastic for us.

They'd have to have a buyer lined up, pay agent fees and other transfers shizzle, pay his wages for a little while, then more agent fees for a seperate transfer. In all this the player would have to be happy being carted around for Barcelona to make a quick profit.

Would anyone out there who has an issue with this, have loved it if we put one of these clause thingys into Cahills transfer to Bolton? Maybe we should be wondering why our great club hasnt been operating like the big clubs rather than bitching about them holding all the power in the Champions League era. Does anyone actually know what the proposed future buy back fee is? or whether it's ratcheted down as the years of his contract tick by? Also, hasn't Gil also got something similar in his contract and why isn't that seen as a problem?

Shall we let him play a game for us before we worry too much about him leaving?

dunno rubberman, sounds like a slippery slope towards being happy about signing a millionty pounds wonderkid off of Barca to me.

Yup. Too risky.  I think we should keep him but NOT play him.  That way they don't buy him back :thumb:  #2clever

dunno rubberman, sounds like a slippery slope towards being happy about signing a millionty pounds wonderkid off of Barca to me.

Yup. Too risky.  I think we should keep him but NOT play him.  That way they don't buy him back :thumb:  #2clever

I tell ya, we won't need to do that. Just play him to kill teams and then, as soon as Barca start sniffing, get Clark to break one of his legs in training. He's then out until the 3 year buy-back is exhausted and then he comes back to terrorise again.

NOTE TO CLARK: Only a slight break is required, not a career ender! ;)

Edited by villarocker

Good plan.  Seeing how good Gil has become since he hasn't been playing, Adama will be on another planet.

Barca won't buy him back just to sell him on for a profit, purely because I doubt Traore would want to do it. People saying it's just a loan are wrong, as he isn't a Barcelona employee and he would only agree to go back if he was going to play regularly, in which case he'd have been outstanding for us. Going back to Barca to get sold on would deny him the chance of perhaps going to Real or another of their rivals, whereas if he stayed here he could have the pick of any club in Europe if he really turned out that good. Barca don't exactly need the money anyway, they seem to be able to afford to buy anyone on the planet without falling foul of FFP. Don't panic, he is ours and he will be ours for quite a while, just enjoy it.

• Like 1

Have Barcelona ever bought back a player to then simply sell on again at a profit?

I suspect it would be hugely frowned upon.

And a player with integrity would refuse any such arrangement.

It would be bad business for Barcelona, they want to attract the best players in the world to their academy. If they mess them around by selling, buying back and then selling again, I suspect it would harm their good reputation of nurturing talent and looking after their young players.

Personally, I'm not worried. I find the whole scenario unlikely, Barca have enough money to simply buy whoever they want anyway. It would be a dirty trick.

The only way I see him going back is if he becomes as good as Neymar or Surarez. If that happens then we will have hugely benefited from his services.

Until then, let's worry about his fitness and whether he would beat Gabby in an egg and spoon race.

• Like 1

Â