Rudy Gestede

midian

We still don't really play to a system that suits Gestede (I'm not saying we should, he's not good enough to be accommodated), so I'd rather see him on the bench despite the injuries we have.

Maybe Grealish at the tip of a diamond just behind RMC and Old Kodjia on Sat.

• Like 2

completely agree

if the options are RMC and Kodjia up front with then grealish in behind or rudy up top with then 2 of Kodjia / Grealish / RMC out wide then its a no brainer that we go with option 1

playing 2 players out of position to accomodate rudy is madness IMO and he's shown enough times he isnt mobile enough to play as 1 of the 2 in the first option

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

completely agree

if the options are RMC and Kodjia up front with then grealish in behind or rudy up top with then 2 of Kodjia / Grealish / RMC out wide then its a no brainer that we go with option 1

playing 2 players out of position to accomodate rudy is madness IMO and he's shown enough times he isnt mobile enough to play as 1 of the 2 in the first option

No way we will play option 1....going from 1 up top and 5 in midfield to 2 up top and 4 in midfield, one of which is a show pony!! Bruce has got more nouse than that...& yes I know we're at home to blackburn :-)

like i said playing 1 up top, assuming adomah is injured, means we will have 2 players out of position

I'll be really disappointed if we play RMC or grealish wide again, we've seen a couple of times now both of them go missing out there, kodjia just and only just IMO gets away with it

In my view ......at this level you need a player to take out their central defenders.

Kojia / adomah/ Rmc do not look strong enough to disrupt them......The team is not flowing enough for them to exert their technical superiority.

Rudy can preoccupy them while the boys above have the freedom to do their thing.....otherwise they just get negated by muscle.

I disagree completely, I think rudy is easy to defend, you need to occupy defenders with movement so the CB pairing is never quite sure who has him, it's not that special a talent either, Shane Long can do it, Doyle can do it, they can move across the entire back four causing problems, someone who can find space in a phone box

rudy IMO is going to be physical and a battle in the air but he's easy to mark and pass on and double up on, you can leave him be too cos you pretty much know where he is

hence why I think rudy is dependent on really high quality crosses in to him, proper on a sixpence stuff, cos slightly to the side of him or over hit or even a eyes closed ball in to a good area, he's not there, he's not gambling, he's waiting for a ball to land on his head

if you know where his head is as a defender then that's easy to defend, it'll be the ball in that beats you not the bloke heading it

36 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I disagree completely, I think rudy is easy to defend, you need to occupy defenders with movement so the CB pairing is never quite sure who has him, it's not that special a talent either, Shane Long can do it, Doyle can do it, they can move across the entire back four causing problems, someone who can find space in a phone box

rudy IMO is going to be physical and a battle in the air but he's easy to mark and pass on and double up on, you can leave him be too cos you pretty much know where he is

hence why I think rudy is dependent on really high quality crosses in to him, proper on a sixpence stuff, cos slightly to the side of him or over hit or even a eyes closed ball in to a good area, he's not there, he's not gambling, he's waiting for a ball to land on his head

if you know where his head is as a defender then that's easy to defend, it'll be the ball in that beats you not the bloke heading it

I don't think Rudy is easy to defend against, maybe at top of the prem, but not at this level of centre back. He is not the most technically gifted, but he has the physical presence to be a nuisance and it is that nuisance value that gives our better players the much needed space to function.

I understand your point, but it was clear last Sunday that despite the superior skill.....Ayew and Kodjia were struggling to impose their skill.....Rudy would have given them the freedom and preoccupied Shotton & Morrison( they were coming forward in to midfield, because no one was stopping them)...thats my take on it.

I understand that in the ideal world, you would have players whose movement can be the disruption( I am a great supporter of movement)....but that didn't happen.....and we don't have a Shane Long.

We all know the holy grail is technical ability, but it has to be accompanied by many other attributes for it to be effective.....In the short term Brawn can be an immediate fix (for points)as much as it is frowned upon in some quarters.

I have no doubt in the Prem Rudy's presence will be nullified and rendered ineffective.....but at this level, I think he can be useful

Edited by TRO

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately for Rudy he needs a striker to play along side with, someone who can do the running and move the defence around. Make runs from his flick ons etc...

Currently we need a 3 man midfield due to our weak options in that area and so playing two up front isn't going to happen anytime soon

Impact sub when we need to lump the ball long

Rudy needs to learnt the art of working his opposite number.

He is never going to be the silky skilled striker, but he needs to apply himself to suit what he does best....physically impose himself.

He needs to bully the centre Halves and bring in the the other forwards with less physical prowess.

He is picked for a particular reason.....He needs to live up to that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, TRO said:

Rudy needs to learnt the art of working his opposite number.

He is never going to be the silky skilled striker, but he needs to apply himself to suit what he does best....physically impose himself.

He needs to bully the centre Halves and bring in the the other forwards with less physical prowess.

He is picked for a particular reason.....He needs to live up to that.

Yes, well said TRO. And since he doesn't do that, he's largely irrelevant in games. How can a big man like him hide so well on the pitch?

• Like 1

Apart from possibly 2 good flick on headers he didn't really offer anything v Leeds.  Slowed down attacks misplaced passes breaking moves down. 

25 mins left and needing to get a result then hoof ball with him on but not from the start. He just doesn't justify a place in the starting line up from what I have seen of him this season.

Maybe in some games against weak defenders he will boss it but against decent defenders they just let him win the headers as he's to last man.

Â