New Captain?

villianusa

Clark is a leader, has experience of being captain throughout his career so far at youth and reserve levels. Hasn't played for anyone else, probably more committed than "Mr Aston Villa" himself, Gabby. Think it's time for him to step up and show his worth to the team.

I cringe every time Jack Woodward calls Gabby "Mr. Aston Villa".

He says it a lot. It has to stop.

Sorry, OT as hell but fook it.

Edited by LxYoungAVFC

I hope not. Okore is right-sided, as is Richards, Clark is left-sided. I don't insist on balance, but if you have the option it's better. 

I don't think for a second Sherwood rates Okore of Clark, I think he just has a bit of a hard-on for Richards. 

I'm not a fan of new signings being captains.

Don't really know why, just doesn't seem right to me.

Under normal circumstances I'd agree, unless the current squad are completely bereft of an obvious candidate or the guy you're bringing in is of a calibre and stature that he's a no-brainer.  I think Cambiasso and our squad might fit both of those criteria if he was to come in.  Otherwise it's Clark for me.

What about a cheeky transfer for Gareth Barry, bring him back make him captain

Maybe not the worst suggestion on a 1-year deal.

Just not sure if he's too similar to Westwood and whether we need someone more attacking/box-to-box.

oh here, I quite like this suggestion. Surely he would offer pretty much what Cambiasso can but he knows the club inside out. For a year, or at a stretch two, he would be a good signing. However, I can already predict the uproar from the more sensitive Villa fans if it were to happen...

An interesting position for Sherwood. The longest serving players are replaceable and the new signings aren't particularly ready or right.

Westwood can't guarantee his place, Gabby, well it's Gabby. Hutton doesn't strike me as captain material though last year he was the one doing the right things week in week out and then Guzan, keepers aren't generally captains. Clark seems the most logical choice....perhaps he can continue stepping up.....

I don't mind signing a captain, but those players come at a premium and in many cases without a firm grasp of the English language. 

Definitely looking forward to seeing who it is, can't quite believe he'd go for Richards but so far Sherwood has surprised me quite a bit.

Â