New Captain?

villianusa

The captain should be someone who, all things being equal, would be an automatic selection. That reduces options enormously, especially if you assume that it can't be someone who's just joined like Richards. 

I can't see any other option than Clark, but he should sign a new contract first. We don't want all of this humiliating nonsense being replayed next summer. 

We lack a captain. We should buy one.

Exactly. None of them are captain material. Clark isn't, Westwood isn't, no one else is. We have to buy a leader, because we sure as hell don't have any in our squad.
I think Clark is a leader, very vocal.

captaincy is a load of rubbish though, its just an armband and not like in cricket when it actually has some responsibility

Im sorry to be cynical, but have you ever played a game of football at any level? 

on what basis. That you must have played a game of football to understand what captains do? They wear a little armband, do the coin toss and thats it

Dont need an armband to lead. Italy for example 4 time World Cup winners give the armband to the player with most caps regardless, same in othe countries

No, they lead the team. If there is a problem in the dressing room, players do not go to the manager, they go to the captain. He is one of them in a way that the manager isnt. He has to be everyones best friend, and a person to go to. It's not even as much as what they do on the pitch, but what they do outside of it.

Captain is ESSENTIAL to a successfull team. It's like having a clown for your team leader at work. Does it feel good?

• Like 1

Wow people are down on Villa right now!  I don't see it.  I see a Vision instead(!)

How about... us?  12th man captain and all that.  We've earned the armband. ;)

I mean it kinda has to be Clark but I agree that he's not a leader or a good enough footballer for that honour.

How does that whole Club Captain and on-field Captain lark work?

Edited by Shomin Geki

In the original thread I said Richards, but over the last few weeks I noticed he cant seem to keep his gob shut - every other day he's been offering his opinion on something or other on various websites.

Â