New Captain?

villianusa

Vlaar was made captain 2 or 3 games into being at Villa.  

Kevin Richardson I think was also made captain by Big Ron straight away and was bought with his leadership qualities in mind.

It can work.  The Best player on the pitch does not have to be captain.

Kevin Richardson I think was also made captain by Big Ron straight away and was bought with his leadership qualities in mind.

It can work.  The Best player on the pitch does not have to be captain.

But one of the worst?  I hope he's performing better in training than he has in some of the pre-season games.

Position wise, I always think a defensive player should be a captain of the side so that's about right.

I know different games but in the 70s the English Cricket Team bought in Mike Something as Captain, simply to be captain as he wasn't unto the standard to be a Test Cricketer.

Being a Leader etc is just another skill set that most of our players haven't got

• Like 1

I know different games but in the 70s the English Cricket Team bought in Mike Something as Captain, simply to be captain as he wasn't unto the standard to be a Test Cricketer.

Being a Leader etc is just another skill set that most of our players haven't got

Mike Brearley - he was a brilliant captain.

You're thinking of Mike Brearley.

He was bought in to replace Ian Botham as captain during the 1981 Ashes series, Botham was not batting or bowling to his best as the burden of being captain seemed too much.  Brearley wasn't the worlds finest cricketer but as you say he could captain a side.

After Botham had the captaincy taken away from him his more natural game was released and he went on to almost single handedly beat the Australians and win the Ashes for England (although Bob Willis did help a lot).  That 1981 series subsequently became known as "Botham's Ashes".  If Brearley hadn't taken over as captain - cricketing history could have been oh so different.

• Like 1

I don't mind him being captain.  If it inspires him to do better then that's good for Villa.  All it means in reality is he's the one the ref goes to if he needs a word with someone.  I'm more of the opinion that all of the senior players can be captains in how they play.

A cricket captain is a proper captain - decides who bowls, where to set the fielders and even has a say in the team selection.

Football captains just wear the arm band and act like they are in control, when in reality they are just a player like the rest.

• Like 2

Bad decision by sherwood, imo. Clark should be captain, hes been captain before, he's been with villa forever and just signdd an extension. But the new guy who has underwhelmed so far gets the armband.

I'm perplexed, flummoxed and crestfallen.

• Like 1

Club captain and team captain?

I think this shows that there is no single individual who can lead Aston Villa, on and off the pitch.

I thought it was Clark, but I do not know him, and I can safely assume you do not know him. For all we know, he could hate the french.

Bad decision by sherwood, imo. Clark should be captain, hes been captain before, he's been with villa forever and just signdd an extension. But the new guy who has underwhelmed so far gets the armband.

I'm perplexed, flummoxed and crestfallen.

None of us know what the players have been like off the field and in training.

I assume Richards has been showing his leadership qualities in this time.

It can work. The Best player on the pitch does not have to be captain.

But one of the worst? I hope he's performing better in training than he has in some of the pre-season games.

What an exaggeration, he has not been one of the worst at all.

He has made the odd mistake, nothing more.

Christ there is no getting away from **** cricket, is there?

As soon as I read the word in a response I immediately move to the next response. Unless we're talking about the noisy insect :-P

Brearley was a very rare example of someone whose leadership made him worth a place in the team when his playing ability did not. Of course you had to have outstanding players around him to make up for that. 

In this case I guess Tim cannot guarantee that Gabby will be first choice for every game so has gone for the Australian way of choosing a cricket captain namely choosing one from the most likely first choice starting line up.

I would have gone for Clark myself but it was Tim's choice to make. The length of time spent at a club should not result in someone being made captain on those grounds alone and getting the club captain role should make Gabby feel a little better about this.Good luck as our captain Micah and I look forward to seeing you lift a trophy soon.    

Â